X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Years Ago Today

Sept 17th, 1944.

D-Day Operation Market Garden:

101st Airborne - The 101st dropped in just north of Eindhoven. The 501st division proceeded to take the bridge at Veghel. The 506th moved south to the town of Son to attempt to capture the bridge located there.

1st British Airborne the 1st landed without a hitch, but their drop of vehicles was almost completely lost. The 1st brigade led by Colonial Frost was the only one of the three brigades to make it to the bridge in Arnhem. They other two brigades were held back by German Resistance.

82nd Airborne The 82nd dropped in by the town of Grave, which is near both the Mass and Waal River. They rushed the Grave Bridge and took it easily. They tried to take the bridge at Nijmegan but were unsuccessful due to unsuspected German Forces. They continued to try to take the bridge for the rest of the day.

30 Corp 30 Corps under the lead of UK General Brian Horrocks, waited behind British lines until 2:00PM. They only made it up to the city of Valkenswaard.
    "We Will Stay Here, If We Must All Go to Hell Together"
    -Col. John R. Cooke, 27th NC

Avatar: My Grandfather on the right. His twin on the left. Their older brother in the middle. In their Navy Blues

Found an interesting aerial recon picture taken on 4 November 1944 showing the famous bridge at Arnhem after it was blown. Anyone knows if it was the allies or germans that destroyed it? Notice the ruins were Frost and his battalion made their last stand:

Comment

17th September, like June 6th or December 16th, is one of those dates when every year I'm reminded of what happened now already 60-plus years ago.

Found an interesting aerial recon picture taken on 4 November 1944 showing the famous bridge at Arnhem after it was blown. Anyone knows if it was the allies or germans that destroyed it?

The Germans blew up Arnhem bridge end of October, 1944. The bomb craters you see in the foreground are from a US bomber attack on October 6th.
      Last edited by Colonel Sennef; 18 Sep 07, 15:50.
      BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Market Garden peaked my historical interest when I was about 12 or 13 years old and sent me on my lifelong historical interest. An event not to be forgotten.

Comment

My dad jumped in with the 506th.
          He was wounded a couple days in, but was repaired an reissued in time for Bastogne.
          Big adventure for a kid fresh off the farm.

Comment

One of my favorite battles of study, and the main reason for my Close Combat
            2 addiction. Salute , to the brave men which fought for both sides.

***Awesome pic Boonie, I've never gandered at that one... thanks.
            SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Originally posted by captainsennef View Post
              17th September, like June 6th of December 16th, is one of those dates when every year I'm reminded of what happened now already 60-plus years ago.
              Don't forget 220 years ago and 145 years ago. US Constitution was signed on September 17 1787. and the bloodiest single day in US History occurred on September 17 1862 outside of Sharpsburg Maryland along the banks of Antietam Creek.
              "We Will Stay Here, If We Must All Go to Hell Together"
              -Col. John R. Cooke, 27th NC

Avatar: My Grandfather on the right. His twin on the left. Their older brother in the middle. In their Navy Blues

Comment

Market Garden

A couple pics from the tour.
                Attached Files
                "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Thanks for the pics mr death .
                  SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                    Berlin.1945
                    by casanova
                    The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                    Yesterday, 23:41
                  • casanova
                    AW 169M
                    by casanova
                    The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                    Yesterday, 23:26
                  • JBark
                    What changed?
                    by JBark
                    There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                    Yesterday, 18:54
                  Working...
                  X