Warsaw Uprising Photo Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warsaw Uprising Photo Journal

Sylwester "Kris" Braun was a photojournalist embedded with Polish resistance during the Warsaw uprising in August 1944. He took lots of photos documenting the siege and destruction of the city.

Click here and use the list of links on the bottom (część I, część II, część III, etc.) to see all photos. The home page of this Polish-language website can be found here.

Sequence of photos below: the monstrous German 60cm siege mortar "Karl" scores a direct hit on the Prudential Hotel.

Last edited by MonsterZero; 31 Jul 04, 10:33.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

The Jews in the Warsaw getto put up quit a fight against the Germans, they did a great job.

Comment

Originally posted by Priest
      The Jews in the Warsaw getto put up quit a fight against the Germans, they did a great job.
      There were 2 uprising, one is by the Jews and one is by Home Army(??).
      This one is the second one.
      a brain cell

Comment

Thanks Laszlo.

Comment

Originally posted by laszlo.nemedi
          There were 2 uprising, one is by the Jews and one is by Home Army(??).
          This one is the second one.
          Was that the Polish Resistance or Jewish Resistance, or were they the same thing Laszlo?
          Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

Originally posted by Temujin
            Was that the Polish Resistance or Jewish Resistance, or were they the same thing Laszlo?
            The first uprising was in April 1943. The Jews were separated in the Ghetto. As they heard of the fate of other Jews they decided (mostly the young Jews) to not let their killing, so the uprising was started. The SS units mostly just destroyed the Ghetto killing everyone there.

The second uprising: the Soviet forces started Bagration but they were stopped in the gate of Warsaw (few ten kilometers (25-75km). The emigrated government of the Polish in London organized an uprise (maybe to build up a better position after the war) in Warsaw in August of 1944. Stalin could not help and didnot let the Westerners to help (by air) to the uprising. Warsaw fought 2 months but they had to surrender in the end.
            (Hungarian forces were involved in the siege but they started negotiation with the Polish in the beginning and stopped fighting, so the Germans sent them home ).
            The SS forces were heavily involved in the fight and destroyed the remaining of the city (as you can see in the pictures of Monster). (later these SS troops were sent to Hungary to the Konrad operations, you can read my article later).

Poland's suffering in the WWII was the biggest.
            They were left alone by the westerners in 1939, the Soviet killed many of them (Katyn). The Germans killed the Jews deported the Poles, and killed many of them in the two uprisings.
            Only the Hungarians helped them in 1939 and later. London helped them but Sikorski (or Sikorsky??) was an unwanted commander (so maybe they killed him??). Poles fought in the West very bravely(blitz, Monte Cassino, France, etc), and Enigma was their contribution to the war.
            The death rate by populations is the highest in the WWII.
            It is a shame that these facts were never mentioned any WWII memorial events!

Monsterzero, be proud of your Polish origin, they are really good people!
            The Poles will always be repected by me!
            a brain cell

Comment

Something ELSE to keep in mind

The Poles of the "Carpathian" Brigade were also instrumental in the defense of 'Tobruk' in 1941 when they relieved the Australians, of whom they were brought out from there at the 'request' of the Aussie government! The Polish Commander, General Kopanski, didn't want to 'alert' the Germans as to this 'switch' when it occurred, so he had his forces maintain the current "2-hour Cease-Fire" just after dusk which had been established during the initial 'Siege'. The Polish forces managed to give a good account of themselves and although they were loathe to observe such 'niceties' against the Germans, it became readily apparent to them that without this 'truce', their forward forces would have been quickly killed through thirst and/or hunger.

Comment

Originally posted by laszlo.nemedi View Post
                The Poles will always be repected by me!
                Lengyel, magyar, két jó barát, együtt harcol, s issza borát.
                Salve Laszlo

I heard that Hungarian cavalry division during Warsaw Uprising negotiated with AK (Armia Krajowa - Home Army) swich a side, and support the Poles. It faild, because Stalin refuse, to treat them as allies, after battle.
                - Your Highness, the enemy is so numerous... they outnumber your army.
                - My friend, first I beat 'em then I'll count 'em
                (Polish King Jan III Sobieski during his campaigns)

Historia Wojskowa Portal Historyczno-Wojskowy phw.org.pl

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X