Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soviet attack on Poland

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Soviet attack on Poland

    Question:
    England and France declared war on Germany when Germany attacked Poland on September 1,1939.
    Was their alliance with Poland just in case of an attack by Germany?
    Did not the Soviet Union invade Poland from the east at the same time?
    Why then, did England and France not declare war on the Soviet Union?
    Boy, that would have made for a whole different war!

  • #2
    Originally posted by dragon8er View Post
    Question:
    England and France declared war on Germany when Germany attacked Poland on September 1,1939.
    Was their alliance with Poland just in case of an attack by Germany?
    Did not the Soviet Union invade Poland from the east at the same time?
    Why then, did England and France not declare war on the Soviet Union?
    Boy, that would have made for a whole different war!
    Good question since they were more than willing to invade Norway and Sweden in order to support the Fins against the Russians. Up until the Molotov-Ribbentropp pact, the Allies had been trying to get the Soviets on their side. The Pact came as quite the surprise.
    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

    Comment


    • #3
      Look this!!!

      http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...rn+Byelorussia

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by dragon8er View Post
        Question:
        England and France declared war on Germany when Germany attacked Poland on September 1,1939.
        Was their alliance with Poland just in case of an attack by Germany?
        Yes

        Did not the Soviet Union invade Poland from the east at the same time?
        No. The Soviret Union attacked Poland on Sept 17 (?)


        Contrary to Andrey's link above, there was a secret protocol included in the M-R Pact to split Poland along the Narew, Vistula and San rivers.
        Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by tigersqn View Post
          Contrary to Andrey's link above, there was a secret protocol included in the M-R Pact to split Poland along the Narew, Vistula and San rivers.
          You distort its contents.

          The Pact spoke that if Germany attacked Poland Germany would not enter the territories to east from the mentioned line.
          Last edited by Andrey; 09 Aug 07, 04:02.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Andrey View Post
            You distort its contents.

            It spoke that if Germany attacked Poland it would not enter the territories to east from the mentioned line.
            I sense a firestorm coming! *dons an asbestos suit*

            Comment


            • #7
              I was mentioning parts of this in an earlier thread. I was curious about what
              might have happened if Germany did not attack Poland at all, and went around or got permission to attack Russia from Poland. Would the Allies have
              declared vs Germany? Was it possible? Would Russia have invaded Poland?
              Maybe no two front war for Germany? Lots of possibilities .
              SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

              Comment


              • #8
                As I know Poland seeked alliance with Germany against USSR in the late 1930s.
                Kind regards
                Igor

                * My grandfathers WW2 memoirs - Romania, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Hungary, 1944-1945.
                * On the question of "2 mil. rapes" by RKKA
                * Verdicts of RKKA Military Tribunals for crimes against civilians in 1945

                Comment


                • #9
                  Before the 17th osf September when USSR moved in France/UK already agreed that they will not comence action on land.

                  By the time USSR moved in it was more profitable for France/UK to keep nonhostile relationship with USSR. If they declared war on USSR it would had pushed USSR to closer tie with Germany.
                  So Rance/UK did the best they could for themselve.
                  Kind regards
                  Igor

                  * My grandfathers WW2 memoirs - Romania, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Hungary, 1944-1945.
                  * On the question of "2 mil. rapes" by RKKA
                  * Verdicts of RKKA Military Tribunals for crimes against civilians in 1945

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Andrey View Post
                    You distort its contents. The Pact spoke that if Germany attacked Poland Germany would not enter the territories to east from the mentioned line.
                    I don't think so. Let's face it- it's a little like 2 thieves discussing and agreeing among themselves how they're going to replace and polish (sorry- no pun intended) all the locks once they're done stealing.

                    France/UK don't come out of this much better other than they went to war over it. That was just doing a deal with one thief to catch another. And the Poles were just trying to find a thief to pay so they could be left alone.
                    Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
                    (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by General Staff View Post
                      I don't think so. Let's face it- it's a little like 2 thieves discussing and agreeing among themselves how they're going to replace and polish (sorry- no pun intended) all the locks once they're done stealing.
                      No. They were like too strong guys who decided that they would move and do what they want in their sides of the street only and no one would go in the side of the other guy or interfere in the events that would occur there.

                      France/UK don't come out of this much better other than they went to war over it. That was just doing a deal with one thief to catch another. And the Poles were just trying to find a thief to pay so they could be left alone.
                      The Polish leaders were crazy on the the background of russophobia and refused from the Soviet help to repel German aggression. France and UK promised to help to Poland but didn't help (in Russia their actions can be called "to betray").

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Egorka View Post
                        As I know Poland seeked alliance with Germany against USSR in the late 1930s.
                        Well, yes and no. Poland did sign a non aggression pact with Germany in 1934. But it was to try to prevent them from turning on Poland. Poland also signed a non aggression pact with the USSR for the same reasons in 1932.

                        Didn't do them a lot of good though did it!!

                        German-Polish Non-Aggression Pact

                        Soviet-Polish Non-Aggression Pact
                        Wolster

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Wolster View Post
                          Well, yes and no. Poland did sign a non aggression pact with Germany in 1934. But it was to try to prevent them from turning on Poland. Poland also signed a non aggression pact with the USSR for the same reasons in 1932.

                          Didn't do them a lot of good though did it!!

                          German-Polish Non-Aggression Pact

                          Soviet-Polish Non-Aggression Pact
                          I did not mean the Polish-German non-agression pact. I ment the actuall talks about going East together and take Ukrain. But Poland did not have a very strong case in these talks. Probably because Hitler wanted poland for him self.

                          Regards
                          Igor
                          Kind regards
                          Igor

                          * My grandfathers WW2 memoirs - Romania, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Hungary, 1944-1945.
                          * On the question of "2 mil. rapes" by RKKA
                          * Verdicts of RKKA Military Tribunals for crimes against civilians in 1945

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Andrey View Post
                            The Polish leaders were crazy on the the background of Russophobia...
                            Hardly crazy. I'd suggest somewhat justified given events 1941-Present.
                            Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
                            (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by General Staff View Post
                              Hardly crazy. I'd suggest somewhat justified given events 1941-Present.
                              I think Poland was reasonaly rightfull in suspecting USSR in the end of 1930s.

                              But it does not change the fact that Poland itself has a sizeable share of the responsibility of the events that occured later.
                              And this thesis of Poland also bearing certain responsiblity is often forgoten these days.

                              Regards
                              Igor
                              Kind regards
                              Igor

                              * My grandfathers WW2 memoirs - Romania, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Hungary, 1944-1945.
                              * On the question of "2 mil. rapes" by RKKA
                              * Verdicts of RKKA Military Tribunals for crimes against civilians in 1945

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X