Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Was The Absolute BEST World War II Fighter?????

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Was The Absolute BEST World War II Fighter?????

The Absolute BEST World War II FIGHTER PLANE, Regardless of Military Branch, Regardless of Period of The War.

Just because the Me-262 was a Jet Fighter, wouldn't necessarily have made it the Best Fighter to see action.

Also, a Fighter would not have had to of seen action to be classed as The Best, but it would help if it did.

According to each country?

(1) United States

(2) England

(3) Canada

(4) France

(5) Russia

(6) Japan

(7) Germany

(8) Italy

(9) Sweden (Yes, Sweden, as Sweden did develop a couple of really Groovy Fighters during World War II.)

10) Holland (The Netherlands) Holland had a Fighter that looked a lot like a P-38 when The Germans Attacked Them.

11) Poland

Once decided upon, how did each fighter from each country compare to the others & then after each comparison, what would have been the Best Allied Fighter & what would have been The Best Axis Fighter & then how did they compare to each other?

In the end, we should know which Fighter was the best in the world & why.

No Bombers of any kind, but Heavy Fighters are acceptable.

I'm going w/The P-38 Lightning & The Me-262.

But, as is the usual case, I could be wrong.

Overall Best in my book is unclear even to me.

Lastly, this is NOT a Poll, as in my opinion those don't go anywhere.

This is a Debate, pure & simple.

Any More Questions?????

dod, count to 10 before you ask me something stupid.
    Last edited by Duke William; 31 Jul 07, 23:44.

No offence DW I did a poll on this and got over 500 posts, as to get a general concensus, good luck there mate!
    We all burned out of suggestions and the whole thing was laid to rest...

Peace

Link!
    Last edited by Achtung Baby; 31 Jul 07, 21:34.
    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
    Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by achtung baby View Post
      No offence DW I did a poll on this and got over 500 posts, as to get a general concensus, good luck there mate!
      We all burned out of suggestions and the whole thing was laid to rest...

Peace

Link!
      Actually, what Duke Williams is suggesting is a little bit of a twist. If I am understanding his wording, rather than debating best of its time we are to choose a champion from each nation regardless of time period and then pitting them against the champions of each nation, so long as it falls into the timeline of WW2. So the debate first begins with a preliminary debate for the planes of each nation before going into the champion round. Might be interesting.
      Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by salinator View Post
        Actually, what Duke Williams is suggesting is a little bit of a twist. If I am understanding his wording, rather than debating best of its time we are to choose a champion from each nation regardless of time period and then pitting them against the champions of each nation, so long as it falls into the time line of WW2. So the debate first begins with a preliminary debate for the planes of each nation before going into the champion round. Might be interesting.
        The section you mention about the time frame could be messy, some would argue this to be more important, early war, mid war or late war...? The wheels can fall off at any time just with that debate alone.

Assuming your right in how you interpret DW's suggestion, I'll sit in the stands and watch this one regardless, my thread made some good strides for identifying positive attributes for certain aircrafts and not so good aircrafts. I guess it came down to perceptions... and that's vastly different when dealing with facts.

Maybe DW can clarify things for you!

Peace
        Ernest Hemingway.

Mark Twain.

Comment

The Best Fighter

The Russians, all the way! The United States had the resources and capital to build a well armed army, but they were more interesting in defeating the Japs instead of Germany. They fought hard in Europe, don't get me wrong, but their main concern was the war on the Pacific. Germany was a fierce war machine, but after the russians began pushing them back, their army was begginng to fell apart. France, well, let's just say that it didn't take long for Germany to defeate them. Japan was the most aggresive army in the war, but that same aggresiveness was their downfall. They attacked without strategy, sure, they had very complex underground tunnels from which they were able to move around without being shot at, but they had no good tactics. England was good, they had Monty who did good in Africa, but then again, Operation Market Garden was his idea and that was a disaster. They had to deal with the Luftwaffe's bombardments in London though. Italy, they weren't fighting for the right reasons, they exectuted Mussolini because they knew the Allies were going to win and they weren't gonna let him destroy the country. The other ones, they did their part, but they didn't have a major role in the war. Russia on the other hand, they fought like Titans, almost without ammunition and weapons, they pushed the germans back at the Battle of Stalingrad. This battle was a turning point for the war and it made it clear for the germans that Russia was not to be #%&&^ with.

Comment

The Best Fighter

Once decided upon, how did each compare to the other & then after comparison, what would have been the Best Allied Fighter (Vs.) The Best Axis Fighter & then how did they compare to each other?

In the end, we should know which Fighter was the best in the world & why.

No Bombers of any kind, but Heavy Fighters are acceptable.

I'm going w/The P-38 Lightning (Vs.) The Me-262.

But, as is the usual case, I could be wrong.
            Best in the world, or during WW2?
            Best Fighter Army or Best Fighter planes?
            You want to compare each army, navy, air force and then compare it against the axis?

Comment

The way I understand this is:

We decide on the best fighter from each country.
              We then split these aircraft into allied and axis (and sweden??), Then find the best from these two groups.

This should leave us with two aircraft, we find the best from these two which leaves us with the Me262.

Kind of a summer offensive tournament for planes.
              Wolster

Comment

Originally posted by Wolster View Post
                The way I understand this is:

We decide on the best fighter from each country.
                We then split these aircraft into allied and axis (and sweden??), Then find the best from these two groups.

This should leave us with two aircraft, we find the best from these two which leaves us with the Me262.

Kind of a summer offensive tournament for planes.
                If your right... DW has to keep everyone in line and move along to the next round.
                I think one of the wheels just fell off already, no one fully understands the question!

ME-262... cheeky bugger.
                Last edited by Achtung Baby; 31 Jul 07, 23:26.
                Ernest Hemingway.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Making Changes To My Inital Posting

I suggest you go back & re-educate yourselves based on what I will be saying.

Lieutenant General Salinator pretty much guessed what I was saying already.

Comment

Originally posted by Duke William View Post
                    I suggest you go back & re-educate yourselves based on what I will be saying.

Lieutenant General Salinator pretty much guessed what I was saying already.
                    Okay. Perhaps someone should establish a guideline and moderate this through. I nominate Full Monty.

So to begin I present a list of US fighters which I think is worthy of contention. We might begin by discussion their faults, attributes, and contributions to the war effort. Feel free to add to the list.

1) P-38 Lighting
                    2) P-39 Airacobra
                    3) P-40 Tomahawk
                    4) P-47 Thunderbolt
                    5) P-51 Mustang
                    6) F4F Wildcat
                    7) F4U Corsair
                    8) F6F Hellcat

Sorry folks, I think our jets did not quite make it to this fight.
                    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Having read the opinions of many allied pilots who flew it after the war, I'm going to go with them and say the Me 262. Its just a good job, Hitler meddled with its development.I havent got time to go into the mass comparisons so Im just chucking in this as a straightforward opinion. I look forward to reading the rest of your fighter banter.

Comment

Well as regards Salinator's list I'm gonna choose the F-4U Corsair followed by the P-47 Thunderbolt. no disrespect to the P-51 but I sometimes feel that the Corsair gets overlooked at lot of the time. An absolute monster of a fighter and a bloody good one at that!
                        "The Eastern front is like a house of cards. If the front is broken through at one point all the rest will collapse."- General Heinz Guderian

"Oakland Raiders: Committed to Excellence"

Comment

Okay. Perhaps someone should establish a guideline and moderate this through. I nominate Full Monty.
                          Why do I get nominated for all the [email protected] jobs?
                          Signing out.

Comment

DO 335 might fit the parameters. 18 were delivered, unknown if any actually saw action. Faster than 262 at some altitudes, & did not need long runway. Landing gear set up so pilot had straight clear view down runway unlike single engine jobs.

Said to be quite maneuverable, ( whether it could maneuver with Temps or Spits unknown). Could carry 5 cannon. & engines reliable.

Comment

Sorry folks, I think our jets did not quite make it to this fight.
                              Since no US jets saw combat they wouldn't qualify anyway. I know DW has stated otherwise but I don't see how we could even start to discuss an aircraft's capabilities if they were never properly tested.
                              Signing out.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X