August 1st: 63rd Anniversary of Warsaw Uprising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• August 1st: 63rd Anniversary of Warsaw Uprising

Poland's president Kaczynski has kicked off the celebrations by decorating some surviving veterans and giving a pretty good speech. He said that despite the loss of life and total destruction of the city the uprising was worth it because for a period of 2 precious months free and independent Poland has existed on a small sliver of Warsaw land that was surrounded by imperialist foes from Soviet Russia and Nazi Germany.

Last edited by MonsterZero; 29 Jul 07, 19:07.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

There is a really great movie about the uprising called "Kanal" (sewer). It is in Polish w/English subtitles and is available in the US. It follows a Home Army company through its last battles and attempts to break out of Warsaw through the sewers.

I grew up in a Polish neighborhood in Chicago and there were a few members of the Free Polish forces that lived there---great people with interesting stories

Comment

That's a Wajda movie and one of his first. He later became a celebrated director during the Cold War years. Canal was meant to be a very negative view of the uprising showing the tragic fate of "misguided" Polish Home Army soldiers. When the movie was made in 1956 past membership in Home Army could get you thrown into a communist prison. Many former resistance fighters migrated to London and other Western countries and are living there to this day...the surviving ones. When I was growing up in Poland my best friend's grandpa was a former Home Army hit squad member. He was part of a squad that was obsessed with eliminating Muller and Schulz who were notorious Gestapo agents in our town. They fired at Muller and Schulz in several attempts, one in a marketplace. The Germans survived. The interesting thing about those two bad guys was that they were Volksdeutsche or naturalized German citizens; former Poles who switched sides after the fall of Poland and began tormenting their own city.

Last edited by MonsterZero; 30 Jul 07, 09:59.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
      --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

I notice in the movie that they do not mention that the Russians were just a few miles away...they do call the PIAT a piece of Junk...a bit of cold war propaganda?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X