Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Britons in the SS-Britisches Freikorps

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Britons in the SS-Britisches Freikorps

    This SS unit made up of British volunteers was modeled after similar freiwilinge foreign formations fighting for Dolfo's new Germany. It was too small to have a military value (only a few dozen men) but it nonetheless existed. It's a mostly unknown but very interesting story of WWII.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Free_Corps


    "Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

  • #2
    Thanks for the info. Did U.S or Canada have anything similar to this?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by dirkymarky View Post
      Thanks for the info. Did U.S or Canada have anything similar to this?

      3 Canadians served with the Britisches Freikorps and at least 2 Americans served with SS-Standarte Kurt Eggers, an SS combat correspondent unit.
      Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

      Comment


      • #4
        Kurt Vonnegut wrote about reaching a POW camp and being recruited by a weirdly dressed American who went over to the Nazis. Seems like the germans were looking for American volunteers to fight the Soviets.

        My favorite SS volunteer bunch was the Indian unit. They took away arms from Germans, never fought and were always in "training". Hitler was quite upset when he found out they never saw combat.

        Pruitt
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

        Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

        by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
          Kurt Vonnegut wrote about reaching a POW camp and being recruited by a weirdly dressed American who went over to the Nazis. Seems like the germans were looking for American volunteers to fight the Soviets.

          My favorite SS volunteer bunch was the Indian unit. They took away arms from Germans, never fought and were always in "training". Hitler was quite upset when he found out they never saw combat.

          Pruitt
          Errr, they did see service, some on the Atlantic wall. I've got a piccy of one in a MG "Toburk" waiting for the Brits and Americans.
          Winnie says
          ---------------------------------
          "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

          It was an Accident."
          Herr Flick.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
            This SS unit made up of British volunteers was modeled after similar freiwilinge foreign formations fighting for Dolfo's new Germany. It was too small to have a military value (only a few dozen men) but it nonetheless existed. It's a mostly unknown but very interesting story of WWII.
            here's an article that will help with further info
            http://www.feldgrau.com/articles.php?ID=20

            ps, the article claims that some members of the unit might have seen action in the Battle of Berlin, recent research has show that this is unlikely.

            Comment


            • #7
              Listy,

              According to the story I read, the Indian "Freikorps" had not fired a shot in anger at anyone. Hitler was particularly upset the unit had arms that he needed to arm Germans with. Even if they had spent a period at the "West Wall" I doubt the Germans would have trusted them against the British.

              Pruitt
              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

              Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

              by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

              Comment


              • #8
                http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=2157

                They got involved.
                Winnie says
                ---------------------------------
                "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

                It was an Accident."
                Herr Flick.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                  Listy,

                  According to the story I read, the Indian "Freikorps" had not fired a shot in anger at anyone. Hitler was particularly upset the unit had arms that he needed to arm Germans with. Even if they had spent a period at the "West Wall" I doubt the Germans would have trusted them against the British.

                  Pruitt
                  Are you sure you don't mean the SS Freiwilligen Division Galizien ?

                  This was a division of Ukrainian troops that was given the name Galicien to hide from Hitler the existence of a German untermensch unit.

                  In March of '45, at a staff conference, Hitler mentions that he was unaware of the existence of this unit and complains that their weapons would have been put to better use in German hands.
                  Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by tigersqn View Post
                    In March of '45, at a staff conference, Hitler mentions that he was unaware of the existence of this unit and complains that their weapons would have been put to better use in German hands.
                    I don't believe it because the Heer was full of Osttruppen. That formation was just one of many. Hitler was a bean counter and had he been unaware of their identity he would have never permitted arming those people with weapons which cost money. Hitler was a man of few allies and friends and he actually seemed to appreciate the traitors who joined his side. Having Ost SS troops on the German side had many benefits because they wore distinct uniforms and were instantly recognizable. They were very useful for pacification duties taking the blame for the murder of innocent people and keeping German hands "clean".

                    "Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
                    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
                      I don't believe it because the Heer was full of Osttruppen. That formation was just one of many. Hitler was a bean counter and had he been unaware of their identity he would have never permitted arming those people with weapons which cost money. Hitler was a man of few allies and friends and he actually seemed to appreciate the traitors who joined his side. Having Ost SS troops on the German side had many benefits because they wore distinct uniforms and were instantly recognizable. They were very useful for pacification duties taking the blame for the murder of innocent people and keeping German hands "clean".
                      Someone posted a link to a good article about Russian volunteers in the German army.
                      I think it was a case of Local Heer commanders informally recruiting Slavs. Then when Hitler found out about he ordered htem dismissed. At which point the Heer asked for an extra 100,000 men to replace them. Thats when he relented.
                      Winnie says
                      ---------------------------------
                      "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

                      It was an Accident."
                      Herr Flick.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
                        I don't believe it because the Heer was full of Osttruppen. That formation was just one of many. Hitler was a bean counter and had he been unaware of their identity he would have never permitted arming those people with weapons which cost money. Hitler was a man of few allies and friends and he actually seemed to appreciate the traitors who joined his side. Having Ost SS troops on the German side had many benefits because they wore distinct uniforms and were instantly recognizable. They were very useful for pacification duties taking the blame for the murder of innocent people and keeping German hands "clean".

                        Many of the "Freiwilligen" troops were not what the Germans considered untermensch.

                        Most of them were Volksdeutsches from occupied countries.

                        When Hitler heard that the Galicien division was actually made up of Ukrainians, he reacted as noted above.
                        Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

                        Comment

                        Latest Topics

                        Collapse

                        Working...
                        X