Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

France 1940 From French Perspective-Best Book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• France 1940 From French Perspective-Best Book?

May I have a title or author?

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

'Le Capitulation' by Toussaint Le O'Surrenderrer
    Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

"L'étrange défaite" by Marc Bloch (rough translation "The strange defeat"). Marc Bloch was a famous historian and was mobilized in unit charged with supplying POL to the armoured / mechanized units. Very interesting perspective on the defeat as a process.

Comment

If you can read French there is a very good French book issued from a symposium on the 1940 fights. This symposium occured in year 2000. It is called "La Campagne de 1940" edited by Tallandier. It is a very clever and clear one.

I'm preparing a work on the Battle of France for this Web site, and it is one of my milestone book with the one of the German Oberst who writed about the myth of the blitzkrieg.

Der WanderNoSurrender
        Last edited by jlbetin; 02 Jul 04, 06:26.
        The Best weapon ever:a good Joke. The Best shield ever: Humour
        JLBETIN© Aka Der Wanderer TOAW Section Leader is a █ WHQ/SZO/XG/Gamesquad® product since 01/2003
        The Birth of European Army Tournament round Three is opened

Comment

Originally posted by nemo
          "L'étrange défaite" by Marc Bloch (rough translation "The strange defeat"). Marc Bloch was a famous historian and was mobilized in unit charged with supplying POL to the armoured / mechanized units. Very interesting perspective on the defeat as a process.
          Nemo, thank you and everybody else, I was able to locate your book online. Unfortunately I don't read French so it has to be English. One of my local libraries has this book on shelf.
          Last edited by MonsterZero; 02 Jul 04, 08:03.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
          --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Originally posted by jlbetin
            If you can read French there is a very good French book issued from a symposium on the 1940 fights. This symposium occured in year 2000. It is called "La Campagne de 1940" edited by Tallandier. It is a very clever and clear one.

I'm preparing a work on the Battle of France for this Web site, and it is one of my milestone book with the one of the German Oberst who writed about the myth of the blitzkrieg.

Der WanderNoSurrender
            Looking forward to that JB!
            http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

Monster:

Strange Defeat is availalbe in English. I read it many years ago and it is a good book.

Emil Zola wrote a novel, the title I forget right now, about the 1938 Rheinland crisis and the French mobilization. Its about the angst the nation went through facing another major war. He puts forth that the French were already mentally defeated and this lead to the disaster in 1940.

BC6
              Blackcloud6

Refighting World War II - One hex at a time!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcloud6
                Monster:

Strange Defeat is availalbe in English. I read it many years ago and it is a good book.

Emil Zola wrote a novel, the title I forget right now, about the 1938 Rheinland crisis and the French mobilization. Its about the angst the nation went through facing another major war. He puts forth that the French were already mentally defeated and this lead to the disaster in 1940.

BC6
                Are you sure about the author? The Émile Zola I know (author of Nana, L'assommoir, Germinal and so forth) died in 1902.
                Last edited by nemo; 09 Jul 04, 07:37.

Comment

Are you sure about the author? The Émile Zola I know (author of Nana, L'assommoir, Germinal and so forth) died in 1902.
                  Oops, had thought confusion. Zola wrote about the 1870 defeat called La DÉBÂCLE, (1892) - "The Debacle." Jean-Paul Satre wrote about the pre-WWII French mobilization I mentioned above (it may not habe been the Rhienland now that I think about it). The was called LE SURSIS, 1945 - "The Reprieve."

I read both Zola's and Satre's book in a class on French War liturature for my masters back in 1992. Been awhile.
                  Blackcloud6

Refighting World War II - One hex at a time!

Comment

Read neither of them but both are present in my library's collections. Looks like I found a reading program for the summer. Thanks for the input!

Comment

dunno about france, i do have a book aabout may1940 in the netherlands and it deals with france too, but not in too much detail
                      French Soldier: You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X