What would you have done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you have done?

Picture it - the Allied troops at the D-Day embarkation ports in England on June 4th 1944, were keyed up, homesick, longing to get across the channel to get the invasion over and done with one way or another, then suddenly the headlines are screaming - "CLARK TAKES ROME!"
    Just imagine the tremendous shot in the arm this must have given to every Allied serviceman in Britain, triggering whoops and hollers everywhere, a fantastic morale boost..
    But as we now know, Clarks orders were not to go for Rome but to cut off the German Army, so in disobeying those orders was he a hero for preferring to give the D-Day troops in England (and his ego) a boost, or was he a villain?
    If you were in Clarks place what would you have done?

I take it you're refering to Clark switching the attack out of the Anzio beachhead from Operation Buffalo to Operation Turtle in mid-stream ?

If that's what you're talking about, it was one of his worst moves ever, and there are many to choose from.
    Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Agreed. It should have cost him his job. I think giving the D-Day first wave a shot in the arm was the last thing on his mind as well.

Comment

From what I know (not much really) Clark was all about Clark and not much else.
        The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
        Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Should have followed orders, if he would have cut off the Germans, then there would have been less for the D-Day invaders to kill. As they tore through Europe and eventually into Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by tigersqn View Post
            I take it you're refering to Clark switching the attack out of the Anzio beachhead from Operation Buffalo to Operation Turtle in mid-stream ?

If that's what you're talking about, it was one of his worst moves ever, and there are many to choose from.
            i think this quote and the others in this thread all hit the nail on the head, but , really Clarks decision really does encapsulate the entire Italian caimpaign for the allies , one bad decision followed by another, with the Germans maximizing every mistake to its fullest.

Comment

From what I've read, Clark's decision effectively extended the Italian campaign until the end of the war. If he had moved as ordered, to cut off the retreating Germans, then the way North would have been a lot less difficult, and would have required the Germans to pull badly needed troops off one of the other fronts, to stop the allies moving into Germany from the South.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X