How were dogs used in WWII?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How were dogs used in WWII?

I've seen dog war movies like Chips The Wardog (when I really little) but how and when did man's best friend follow him to the front?

Thanks in advance.
    How many Allied tanks it would take to destroy a Maus?
    275. Because that's how many shells there are in the Maus. Then it could probably crush some more until it ran out of gas. - Surfinbird

There are reports that the Soviets attempted to strap explosives to dogs with the expectation that the dogs would lie down under a German tank and then be detonated. I'm not sure whether these reports are accurate. The consensus is that, if true, the effort was without value.
    Don't leave good whiskey for the damn Yankees!" John Hunt Morgan, Eagleport, Ohio, July 23, 1863

Comment

Looks like Dogs are sometimes smarter than people!
      How many Allied tanks it would take to destroy a Maus?
      275. Because that's how many shells there are in the Maus. Then it could probably crush some more until it ran out of gas. - Surfinbird

Comment

The USMC used it as a trademark...but i know the Germans prefected it as watch dogs, than the Soviets.
        I am a simple man. I am by no means smarter than the average man. I am average...yet genius.

Comment

I believe that the germans had attack dogs in trenches in WW1. It may be false but i can't be sure I don't think that many dogs (if so) were used in WW2 though.
          God didnít create evil. Evil is the result of when man does not have God's love in his heart.It's the cold when there is no heat.The darkness that comes when there is no light

Comment

Originally posted by guthrieba View Post
            There are reports that the Soviets attempted to strap explosives to dogs with the expectation that the dogs would lie down under a German tank and then be detonated. I'm not sure whether these reports are accurate. The consensus is that, if true, the effort was without value.

It is true.

Head to the RKKA Forum. There is an old thread there detailing their use.

Apparently the dogs would go hide under T34s when the artillery started to fly.
            Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Well in the korean War the Americans used them as mine finders.
              'where da potato at?'
              The Irishman said during the 1845 potato famine

Comment

Originally posted by tigersqn View Post
                It is true.

I posted a some pictures and a report on the subject somewhere...

Other uses for dogs during WW2 was for example as food, delivering messages, patrol and sentry duty.
                "The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Some were used in the Pacific. They did find out that Dobermans were too high strung for combat. I am not sure if they were purely Marine, Army or both.

Pruitt
                  Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pergite View Post

Other uses for dogs during WW2 was for example as food, delivering messages, patrol and sentry duty.
                    Just a comment, I make no verdict or comment on anyone involved so please relax. All I have to say is "poor dog".
                    "Every man should be his own Guru; every woman her own Gurette" ...Ed Abbey

Comment

If you are interested in animlas in modern day warfare I would recommend you to look up the "Dickin Medal" winners
                      "The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Originally posted by tigersqn View Post
                        It is true.

Other reports were that the dogs would immediately run under the nearest
                        tank/vehicle- whether enemy or not . Of course once this was used,
                        the Germans would just shoot all dogs on sight... sigh .
                        SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Originally posted by Wustenfuchs View Post
                          Just a comment, I make no verdict or comment on anyone involved so please relax. All I have to say is "poor dog".
                          This worked at times apparently, until some of the dogs would run back to
                          their owners and blow them up instead, serves em right i think.
                          Life is what happens to you when your busy making other plans! Lennon - www.lufttiger.com

Comment

Are you saying that the solders would eat the dogs?
                            God didnít create evil. Evil is the result of when man does not have God's love in his heart.It's the cold when there is no heat.The darkness that comes when there is no light

Comment

ATGW: Anti-tank Guided Woof-it?
                              Winnie says
                              ---------------------------------
                              "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
                              Herr Flick.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X