The Arms of Krupp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Arms of Krupp

Has anyone read this book, how is it? I was thinking of getting it, instead I got "Steel Inferno" The 1st SS Panzer Corps in Normandy.

I have it!

It's a big book with plenty of detail.

I never actually read it cover to cover. Some good writing there, more a book to dabble in really.

Is Krupps still around? They used to make household goods after the War but I never hear the name mentioned now.
    http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfe Tone
      I have it!

It's a big book with plenty of detail.

I never actually read it cover to cover. Some good writing there, more a book to dabble in really.

Is Krupps still around? They used to make household goods after the War but I never hear the name mentioned now.
      Yeah they do still exist and still produce household goods.
      "A platoon of Chinese tanks viciously attacked a Soviet harvester,
      which was peacefully working a field near the Soviet-Chinese border.
      The harvester returned fire and upon destroying the enemy
      returned to its home base."

Comment

Thanks for the info, was'nt their HQ in Essen?
        http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

OK thanks Wolfe Tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfe Tone
            Thanks for the info, was'nt their HQ in Essen?
            I don't know that. But AFAIK their HQ was in the West of Germany after WW2.
            "A platoon of Chinese tanks viciously attacked a Soviet harvester,
            which was peacefully working a field near the Soviet-Chinese border.
            The harvester returned fire and upon destroying the enemy
            returned to its home base."

Comment

They are now called ThyssenKrupp after their 1999 merger with Thyssen. Web site here: http://www.thyssenkrupp.com/In the history portion of the website, they briefly explain the different periods of their history, including the Third Reich period.

Comment

Originally posted by Priest
                Has anyone read this book, how is it? I was thinking of getting it, instead I got "Steel Inferno" The 1st SS Panzer Corps in Normandy.
                I've read it. It's an excellent book. Manchester was an outstanding author. Sadly, he passed away awhile back. RIP.
                "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

I have read it at least twice. It is part of my reference library, and it is the Bible on how corporations manipulate nations into wars, thereby profiting no matter who dies.

Did you know that when Germany attacked Turkey, they found themselves up against more modern artillery than what they possessed, and that those artillery pieces, killing Germans every day, were manufactured and sold by Krupp?

For a fascinating read and a great insight into the world of arms manufacturers, I highly recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMan
                    Did you know that when Germany attacked Turkey, they found themselves up against more modern artillery than what they possessed, and that those artillery pieces, killing Germans every day, were manufactured and sold by Krupp?
                    Ergh....what?
                    "Beneath its gilded beauty, though, there lies a poorly designed game which rewards the greedy and violent, and punishes the hardworking and honest; and if you think about it, that's a good representation of capitalism" - Nightfreeze about Eve Online

Comment

Germany Attacking Turkey???

That one caught my eye too.

Perhaps he meant some German advisors with the Greeks in the Second Balkan War? But if I recall correctly the Ottoman Army was using French artillery then.

Perhaps we all missed a war?

Comment

Originally posted by Priest
                        I'm reading Steel Inferno as well. Not a bad book though, a little dragging in parts.

Comment

Surely he's talking about the mesopotania campaign.........Turks and German v Arabs?

stuart
                          www.cpmodels.co.uk & www.flipsidewwii.co.uk

Comment

Three words: BUY THE BOOK! It is an outstanding work by a Pulitizer Prize winning author. It is a bible on the effects of corporate greed and arrogance in terms of a national and the international arms market.

Krupp's constant R&D efforts also pried big spendolas from Willie the Deuces treasury as well. All the while Der Alte was continually having to fight off concerns from the general staff that the weapons he was selling abroad could well be some day fired against German troops.

I think the story about the Turk arty mentioned earlier should have read China though, IIRC. Even better is the patent exchange between Vickers and Krupp which involved each paying the other royalties during World War I based on the number of its own countrymen killed by its own patent.

Krupp is back making bigger toys too. I saw a picture of some huge, and I mean really huge as in worlds largest of its type, earthmoving machine they build a while back. Also while on my way to work one day this week I followed a crane made by Krupp part of the way in. Big as life on the back were the blue painted Krupp and the three ring logo.
                            If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1
                              Three words: BUY THE BOOK! It is an outstanding work by a Pulitizer Prize winning author. It is a bible on the effects of corporate greed and arrogance in terms of a national and the international arms market.

Krupp's constant R&D efforts also pried big spendolas from Willie the Deuces treasury as well. All the while Der Alte was continually having to fight off concerns from the general staff that the weapons he was selling abroad could well be some day fired against German troops.

I think the story about the Turk arty mentioned earlier should have read China though, IIRC. Even better is the patent exchange between Vickers and Krupp which involved each paying the other royalties during World War I based on the number of its own countrymen killed by its own patent.

Krupp is back making bigger toys too. I saw a picture of some huge, and I mean really huge as in worlds largest of its type, earthmoving machine they build a while back. Also while on my way to work one day this week I followed a crane made by Krupp part of the way in. Big as life on the back were the blue painted Krupp and the three ring logo.
                              I whole heartedly echo that sentiment! Good to see you back here again D1J1!
                              "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X