X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWII vets too old to jump

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Midwest/0....ap/index.html

Originally posted by CNN

CLEVELAND, Ohio (AP) -- A group of World War II veterans won't get to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the Allied invasion of France next month the way they wanted -- the Army decided they're too old to safely parachute into Normandy.

"I am depressed. I was really looking forward to it," said Howard Greenberg, 79. "My reason for wanting to do it was to honor two Jewish friends of mine who were killed in World War II."

"I resent being told I'm not physically fit. I only weigh 11 pounds more than I did the day I was discharged," he said.

Greenberg, a retired optometrist in suburban Bay Village, served with the 11th Airborne in the Pacific during the war and jumped into Normandy in 1994 on the 50th anniversary of D-Day.

That time, President Clinton gave the ultimate approval that allowed 38 veterans to jump near Ste.-Mere-Eglise, the D-Day objective of the 82nd Airborne Division.

Some of them landed on a herd of French cows.

Bob McCaffery, co-chairman of the veteran parachutists' group, said he was notified of the Army's decision on Thursday.

"The Army realized that these guys have trained and they are the exception among average 80-year-olds," said McCaffery, of Las Vegas, Nev. "But they said the risk of an injury happening at a ceremony of this magnitude was just too great."

McCaffery had hoped President Bush would intercede this time, in part because the first President Bush parachuted when he was 75.

Greenberg said he was aware of the danger.

In 1995, he was one of six WWII paratroopers who went to Russia for an airborne tribute. His jump was canceled after the man who jumped before him was killed when his parachute failed to open.

In 2000, while performing a tribute near Fort Bragg, North Carolina, another member of Greenberg's group was killed when his parachute did not open properly.

"My wife was not crazy about me jumping again," Greenberg said.
    Do you think these guys should be allowed to jump?
    Editor-in-Chief
    GameSquad.com

Originally posted by Don Maddox

Yes, they are too old to jump in a government sponsered activity. There is a duty of care here which would be violated. But that shouldn't stop them from jumping out of a perfectly good civilian plane that they have hired for the purpose themselves. Also just make sure no French laws are being violated.

Comment

Airborne Forever!!

Originally posted by Don Maddox View Post

Nine years on and with the 70th anniversary looming next year......any thoughts?

When lodestar does not post many peoples’ lives feel desolate and empty.
      When lodestar posts many people find a fresh reason to go on living.
      Over the years this has become known as ‘THE WAY OF LODESTAR”

Comment

There's an irony in here someplace. I'm 18, 19, or 20 and at the very beginning of my life and I'm dropped into God knows what's down there waiting for me, assuming I even make it down alive in the first place, then make it, fight all the way to Germany, make it back home and live through whatever that constituted. And now, now with my days most definitely numbered, you give me this bullshit that I'm too old, yet perfectly willing to relive a defining moment in my life, if not the defining moment of it all and I'm telling you I'm OK with whatever comes.

Bullshit.

Sign waivers, if possible.
        Tell the DoA to get stuffed.
        Head to France and clear it with them.
        Hire, even though I suspect the French would would kick-in a plane, and God bless and go for it.
        Youthful Exuberance Is No Match For Old Age And Treachery.

Comment

Originally posted by HMS, Jr. View Post
          There's an irony in here someplace. I'm 18, 19, or 20 and at the very beginning of my life and I'm dropped into God knows what's down there waiting for me, assuming I even make it down alive in the first place, then make it, fight all the way to Germany, make it back home and live through whatever that constituted. And now, now with my days most definitely numbered, you give me this bullshit that I'm too old, yet perfectly willing to relive a defining moment in my life, if not the defining moment of it all and I'm telling you I'm OK with whatever comes.

Bullshit.

Sign waivers, if possible.
          Tell the DoA to get stuffed.
          Head to France and clear it with them.
          Hire, even though I suspect the French would would kick-in a plane, and God bless and go for it.
          Well said.
          "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Originally posted by triggerjockey View Post
            Well said.
            Straight bullshit. I wasn't too young to die, but now that I'm looking at 80-90 something in the face you're telling me I'm too friggin' old and taking a chance of packing it in?! Christ!

Comment

Originally posted by lodestar View Post
              Nine years on and with the 70th anniversary looming next year......any thoughts?

When lodestar does not post many peoples’ lives feel desolate and empty.
              When lodestar posts many people find a fresh reason to go on living.
              Over the years this has become known as ‘THE WAY OF LODESTAR”
              I would like to be there next year,I do not think by parachute though but every one to their own, lcm1
              'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
              " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by HMS, Jr. View Post
                Straight bullshit. I wasn't too young to die, but now that I'm looking at 80-90 something in the face you're telling me I'm too friggin' old and taking a chance of packing it in?! Christ!
                I would not say that to you mate but I do wonder if perhaps the bones get a bit more brittle at our age,(I'm knocking on 88 now and splashed ashore from a L/C.) Hope you get to do it, lcm1
                'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

lodestar to lcm1

Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
                  I would like to be there next year,I do not think by parachute though but every one to their own, lcm1
                  Make sure you clear whatever you're doing with me first son. I don't want you to do anything foolish!

The wife and I will be heading to the UK, Belgium, France, Italy and possibly Poland later this year to visit family and capitol cities.

Don't know if I'll get to any areas where family members served such as, Franco-German (1914) border areas, the Marne (first and second battles), Verdun, Somme, Chemin des Dames, Dunkirk, Warsaw, Eastern Poland, Cassino) but will see what can be done.

There are few certainties in life or in the world, but that lodestar will end up in an unmarked, shallow grave in a desolate, forsaken, wind-blown corner of a remote, barren and unknown land, is surely one of them.

Comment

I would not say that to you mate but I do wonder if perhaps the bones get a bit more brittle at our age,(I'm knocking on 88 now and splashed ashore from a L/C.) Hope you get to do it, lcm1
                    No no, good sir. I was putting my in their place as-if the DoA had told me that.

Comment

LCM is a rare gem..........WW2 veteran we can learn first hand from.....

Comment

Originally posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
                        LCM is a rare gem..........WW2 veteran we can learn first hand from.....
                        Cool beans; good to know.

Comment

Originally posted by lodestar View Post
                          Make sure you clear whatever you're doing with me first son. I don't want you to do anything foolish!

The wife and I will be heading to the UK, Belgium, France, Italy and possibly Poland later this year to visit family and capitol cities.

Don't know if I'll get to any areas where family members served such as, Franco-German (1914) border areas, the Marne (first and second battles), Verdun, Somme, Chemin des Dames, Dunkirk, Warsaw, Eastern Poland, Cassino) but will see what can be done.

There are few certainties in life or in the world, but that lodestar will end up in an unmarked, shallow grave in a desolate, forsaken, wind-blown corner of a remote, barren and unknown land, is surely one of them.
                          My son went to Britain and France a few months ago and bought me back Pebbles from Brighton beach and sand from sword beach.Coupled with a mug bought in Normandy inscribed as follows, D.D.ay 1944.I suspect made in China!! You in a narrow unmarked grave? Just can't imagine it! lcm1
                          'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

They should crash the party, as in, "I'm not asking you if you want me to. I'm just telling you I'm going to."
                            "Shoot for the epaulets, boys! Shoot for the epaulets!" - Daniel Morgan

Comment

lodestar - beyond greatness, beyond comprehension

You in a narrow unmarked grave? Just can't imagine it! lcm1
                              Shallow grave, you twit!! Shallow grave!
                              You pay less attention to what I say than my wife!

The first five of a planned fifteen volume set covering the life of lodestar are now available from this publisher:
                              Vol.1 The Stars Beget a Son
                              Vol. 2 Anvil of Destiny.
                              Vol. 3 The Hammer of Power
                              Vol 4. Road to Greatness
                              Vol 5. The High School Years

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X