Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I call upon my kameraden...(searching for German memoirs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I call upon my kameraden...(searching for German memoirs)

Hello all. I'm 16 and am in the process of writing a book about fighting on the Narva front. I have multiple maps with papers and books and resourses from other countries in other languages translated. The one problem I have though, is I need vet stories from certain divisions. At 16, I can't just go out and find veterans let alone specific ones from these divisions. So now I must call on you all to help me. If you live in Denmark, Holland, Estonia, or the scandanavian countries please be on the look out for volunteer SS vets in your area. I already have a friend who knows a vet who fought in the particular battle I am focusing on. Please look for these divisions if you can.

-Großdeutschland
    -III Germanic SS Panzer Korps
    -9th and 10th Luftwaffe-feld divisions
    -502.Schwere Panzer Abteilung
    -Estonian 20. W-SS Grenadier division
    -61.Infanterie-Division
    -Panzer Grenadier Division "Feldharrnhalle"
    -Nordland 26.SS Panzer Grenadier regiment
    -49.SS Freiwilligen Panzer grenadier regiment "der Ruyfer"
    -48.SS Freiwilligen Pazner grenadier regiment "General Seyffardt"
    -"Danmark" regiment of Nordland 24th SS
    -"Hermann von Salza Panzer Abt."

Thanks so much everyone. I may not get any info, but it's worth a try.
    --
    AMVAS:
    This thread is out of subject of my site and forum. So it'll be moved to another area
    Last edited by amvas; 17 Jan 07, 00:07. Reason: Thread is not in the subject of my site

Hmmh, if you could read estonian i could direct you to a book already written about the battle of Narva, and also to one written about the "Narva" battallion that later became 20th SS. Latter was written by the vets for the vets so to speak.

Comment

Want to translate any of it for me?

I'd love you.

Comment

Same situation in Holland. Interviews with Dutch SS veterans who often for ideological reasons (to fight the Communists) volunteered for the East front have been conducted and published, but in Dutch! I think it unlikely they were or will be translated in English.
        To compound your problem: the veterans are of a generation which doesn't speak English (their German may be surprisingly good though )
        To vex you even more: the Dutch SS was sent to your area of interest.
        BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

I will obviously need help with this project. Can YOU help me translate some memoirs? I don't need whole books, just specific pages on their time around Narva.

I'd be deeply indebted to you!
          Last edited by k98_man33; 17 Jan 07, 11:46.

Comment

Good luck, I wish I could help you but I'm assured you'll find plenty of information about GrossDeutchland and can use cross references from books you find about them and the battle to pin down information about the other units.
            The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Originally posted by k98_man33 View Post
              I will obviously need help with this project. Can YOU help me translate some memoirs? I don't need whole books, just specific pages on their time around Narva.

I'd be deeply indebted to you!
              Mansal, found a possibly useful book in the library:

Armando & Sleutelaar: de SS'ers, Amsterdam 1967.

This is pure oral history: interviews with or rather monologues of eight anonymous Dutch SS-men. The book has no editorial structure like a proper introduction to put the interviews in place.
              While browsing through it: they all state their (different) motives for joining the SS, and become 'traitors' by doing so; then their training and the joining of the Dutch SS unit fighting 'Bolshevists'. Lastly the aftermath: some get captured, some wounded, and finally their 'welcome home'.
              FYI: Narva is mentioned at times as the front where they were deployed, but no specifics like order of battle, dates or ranking officers (Felix Steiner figures a couple of times). They do fight at th eNarva and relate at fox hole level how things were but it could have been anywhere.
              IMO a marginally useful book, perhaps good to add color/voices from the field. PM me if you want addional info.
              BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

I Find It Hard To Believe

That Former SS Men would just jump up and say, "Hey, I was in The SS."

I would think that would be rather dangerous, wouldn't it?

Comment

Perhaps not dangerous per se, but it could very well, let's say, complicate their lives. That is probably why they chose to have their interviews published anonymously.
                  BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Duke William View Post
                    That Former SS Men would just jump up and say, "Hey, I was in The SS."

I would think that would be rather dangerous, wouldn't it?
                    Not in the Baltic States now.

The SS-vets are considered heroes there now.

Comment

wow, writing a book at 16, I don't think I would be able to do that. Good luck though.
                      "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

Originally posted by No_Nickname View Post
                        wow, writing a book at 16, I don't think I would be able to do that. Good luck though.
                        Thanks. And I'm glad you didn't say "No offence, but I don't think you could do that" I need confidence and that kind of thing wouldn't help. I'm gonna need some luck!

captainseneff: I'm sorry for late response! I usually check frequently, but I forgot that thread I made. Yes that would be a great resource to help me. My email is [email protected] if you want to mail me because I check it a bit more often.

Thanks a ton!
                        Mansal

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey View Post
                          Not in the Baltic States now.

The SS-vets are considered heroes there now.
                          Ofcourse. We also do weekly baby-eating contests!

Comment

Theres a great book called 'The Forgotten Soldier' by Guy Sajer--about his experiences in the Grossdeutschland.

Comment

Originally posted by String View Post
                              Ofcourse. We also do weekly baby-eating contests!
                              Andrey is a bit off his rocker.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X