For the Frenchmen among us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank You Desiree!
    And probably a huge welcome,by the way,to the only(possibly) futur king or queen,born on such an infamous day for Royalty,hahahahaha...
    That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Thank you Desiree !

You are very kind.

"A la bonne votre !"
      "To hell wars Grudges and parties ! As our fathers Sing in real friends, The clink of glasses Roses and lilies. The clink of glasses Roses and lilies."

Comment

Marchon

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Bastille Day, Racism, PC, History Channel Forums

[QUOTE=Rojik;2589316]

I don't care about the French.
          That's a heck of a thing to say on Bastille Day!
          I do care about hyperbole, and the bullshit PCism that follows.
          My radar always goes quietly on when anyone tells me they hate political correctness. Kinda like those people who start with "Now I'm not a racist but....."
          How do you feel about the current "Racism. It Stops With Me" campaign featuring sports stars currently flooding the TV airwaves in Australia?

Political correctness gone mad?
          Badly needed and long overdue?
          What Racism?

But I drift off topic.

As I asked in post # 41 when I initially revived this topic:

About the same time, The History Channel had their WWII Forum swamped with a discussion about the value or otherwise of the French. So much so that it came to dominate the forum to such an extent the moderator had to close the thread down.
          Which is a pity coz I was gonna post an early version of my topic: "Did the Western Allies pursue an essentially ‘Italy& Vichy France First’ policy from mid 1940-43?" as part of that thread.

Does anyone know if those old THC Forums are archived anywhere? They were great.

Was there a reason THC changed their forum?

Regards lodestar

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
            In fact, the words "racial" and "race" are now outlawed in French laws. It is replaced with the word "ethnic". Now that is really narrowing it down to specifics.
            Not as far as I know. Seem even difficult to outlaw a word especially in France.

Comment

Thank you Désirée. This morning, I attended the military parade of July 14th which takes place in Toulouse. Certain regiments which participated in the success of the French army in Mali were very applauded. This evening the party is going to continue with the traditional fireworks and local dances.

Comment

Originally posted by lodestar View Post
                My radar always goes quietly on when anyone tells me they hate political correctness. Kinda like those people who start with "Now I'm not a racist but....."
                Does it? How... um... interesting. I never realised that being an annoying prick who prefers words to be used in their proper context (especially the emotive ones) makes me a card carrying Klan member. But there you go. Will they send me an outfit or do I have to make it myself?

Originally posted by lodestar View Post
                How do you feel about the current "Racism. It Stops With Me" campaign featuring sports stars currently flooding the TV airwaves in Australia?
                I haven't watched more than a couple of minutes TV for several years now, so it's a bit hard for me to comment. It's an ad though, right? If so, then I'm sure annoying would be the word that will spring to mind if I ever do see it.
                Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Joyeux 14 a tous!

Among other African nations, Mali troops were also invited guests to march in this year's parade.
                  Last edited by asterix; 14 Jul 13, 11:28.
                  You'll live, only the best get killed.

-General Charles de Gaulle

Comment

Excellent article, written by a US Marine:

http://chrishernandezauthor.com/2013...e-french-army/

Excerpts:
                    In Afghanistan I worked alongside the French Army.
                    Almost every time I tell someone I worked with the French, I get comments like, “You mean the French have an army?”, “Did they surrender to you the day you got there?”, or some other variation of the “cheese-eating surrender monkey” theme. And if they don’t outright insult French troops, they usually dismiss my experience by saying, “Oh, you must have been working with the Foreign Legion. They’re not really French.”
                    Those comments really get on my nerves. And they’re flat out wrong. I served with a few Legionnaires and a lot of regular French troops. Whatever the French public’s or government’s politics are, their soldiers are brave, well-trained, in fantastic shape and aggressive. Describing those men as cowards is an absolutely unfair characterization.

I heard something I didn’t expect, a phrase I was to hear many times during my deployment: “The only soldiers here who really want to fight are the Americans, Brits and French.”

This phrase was, of course, totally unfair to the Australians and Canadians. It may have been unfair to the Germans, who had a reputation as frustrated warriors whose government didn’t allow them to blitzkrieg Taliban like they wanted to. It didn’t give nearly enough credit to some Afghan National Army units who were aggressive and eager for battle.
                    But in addition to giving the French well-deserved praise, the phrase did address a certain unpleasant truth. Some countries, apparently in response to American political pressure, grudgingly sent troops to Afghanistan. Those troops were either mandated to stay inside the wire, or when they went out showed zero desire to risk their lives for a cause they must not have believed in.

Contrary to conventional American wisdom, the French liked to fight. I accompanied them when they, Afghan troops and a handful of Americans invaded a Taliban-held valley. Despite comments from people who have no actual experience with them, French troops don’t run from a contact. They like to advance toward the enemy and shoot. A lot.

When we invaded that valley, the French blew through a hell of a lot of rounds. They dropped 81mm and 120mm mortar rounds. They flung Milan anti-tank missiles at any worthy target. Their tanks blew big holes in Taliban-held compounds. They called in many air strikes (all American at that time, French aircraft supported them in later missions). One French vehicle was set afire by an RPG and its driver killed; the French carried on instead of being paralyzed by the loss. One of the more inspiring things I’ve seen was a group of French soldiers recovering their dead, burned comrade from the vehicle later that night.

The French went to war in Afghanistan, and have lost almost a hundred men killed, not because France was attacked. They fought for us, because we were attacked. And they hung in for years, taking casualties but not quitting the fight. They didn’t pull their major forces out until they began taking serious losses from green-on-blue attacks. I don’t blame them one bit for refusing to support a nation whose troops are murdering them.
                    Today the French are fighting our common terrorist enemy in Africa, taking losses but beating the enemy senseless. They deserve praise and respect for what they did in Afghanistan and what they continue to do today. Old jokes about rifles only being dropped once, or “satirical” articles about French troops trying to surrender, aren’t just stupid clichés. They’re blatant insults toward brave, honorable men who figuratively stood shoulder to shoulder with us as a nation and literally stood shoulder to shoulder with us as soldiers.

You'll live, only the best get killed.

-General Charles de Gaulle

Comment

Originally posted by flash View Post
                      You're right,the English,Welsh,Irish,Belgian and some Dutch fled screaming like little girls while every single Jock on the continent stayed behind to enable all of us cowards to do so.

Cheers,Tony.
                      Sorry, I just hate people who think the UK and England are the same thing.

The BoF was a total disaster for the Allies, and any man who could be rescued was a bonus, in the long struggle to come. Withdrawal was the only option left, but not everyone was lucky enough to be able to go.

And a Happy Bastille Day to our partners in, 'The Auld Alliance." Do you still play, 'Scots Wha' Hae ?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDzIPw3Uz9I
                      Last edited by the ace; 14 Jul 13, 11:39.
                      Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Originally posted by the ace View Post

The BoF was a total disaster for the Allies, and any man who could be rescued was a bonus, in the long struggle to come. Withdrawal was the only option left, but not everyone was lucky enough to be able to go.

And a Happy Bastille Day to our partners in, 'The Auld Alliance." Do you still play, 'Scots Wha' Hae ?"

Every single thing I have read said by the Nazis referred to Britain as "England"... oh, wait...

Will no one tell me what she sings?--
                        Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
                        For old, unhappy, far-off things,
                        And battles long ago:
                        -William Wordsworth, "The Solitary Reaper"

Comment

Originally posted by the ace View Post

The French army always plays " the march of the soldiers of Robert Bruce " in particular when the troops are reviewed.

Comment

One thing I have noticed in my current reading was the number of Free French ships that sailed in the Allied convoys during the Battle of the Atlantic. And that French troops took part in the invasion and conquest of Germany. Did this all start with Torch? Or earlier? There seems to me to be a huge untold story, here. Is there a good English history of the Free French?
                            Will no one tell me what she sings?--
                            Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
                            For old, unhappy, far-off things,
                            And battles long ago:
                            -William Wordsworth, "The Solitary Reaper"

Comment

Originally posted by Desiree Clary View Post
                              Every single thing I have read said by the Nazis referred to Britain as "England"... oh, wait...

Yes, while they were concentrating on England, Britain gave them a pasting.
                              Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Originally posted by asterix View Post
                                Excellent article, written by a US Marine:

http://chrishernandezauthor.com/2013...e-french-army/

Excerpts:

A huge respect to the author of these words,surely a French likke lot of people here will think ,but,doesn't matter..
                                The episode of the death of the driver of the French troop carrier has been filmed and is easily found on YouTube.Will post it tomorrow.
                                Merci beaucoup Mon pote !
                                That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X