Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The "Heer" vs. the "Wehrmacht"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The "Heer" vs. the "Wehrmacht"

    In the German military nomenclature of WW2, what was the difference between "Das Heer" and "Die Wehrmacht". According to my sources, both seem to mean same thing as "the Army".


    "Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

  • #2
    Originally posted by MonsterZero
    In the German military nomenclature of WW2, what was the difference between "Das Heer" and "Die Wehrmacht". According to my sources, both seem to mean same thing as "the Army".
    Die Wehrmacht is the Military/Armed Forces, Die Heer is the Army itself

    IE
    Wehrmacht(OKW)<-Top
    Heer(OKH), Luftwaffe, Kreigsmarine <-On paper sub to Wehrmacht
    "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

    Comment


    • #3
      Exactly as Tim said. I could add that in German, Wehrmacht literally means "Defense (wehr) Power (macht)". Heer is Army in itself.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Tzar
        Exactly as Tim said. I could add that in German, Wehrmacht literally means "Defense (wehr) Power (macht)". Heer is Army in itself.
        So, are you saying that Wechrmacht is actually two words in a conjunction? No wonder so many European words are literally phrases or several words summarized into one word.

        Dan
        Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

        "Aim small, miss small."

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Tim McBride
          Die Wehrmacht is the Military/Armed Forces, Die Heer is the Army itself

          IE
          Wehrmacht(OKW)<-Top
          Heer(OKH), Luftwaffe, Kreigsmarine <-On paper sub to Wehrmacht
          however, at the last years the OKH was responsible to the Eastern Front, and the OKW was for the other scenarios (just like Western front)...
          a brain cell

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Cheetah772
            So, are you saying that Wechrmacht is actually two words in a conjunction? No wonder so many European words are literally phrases or several words summarized into one word.

            Dan
            The Germans especially like to do this.

            Comment


            • #7
              Bundeswehr

              Hi Gents,

              The word Wehrmacht is now replaced by BundesWehr, which means federal Army

              Das Heer is still existing as the the german army, there is a site of das Heer which is http://www.deutschesheer.de/relaunch...7QDAE321PTILDE

              The TOAW forum members could understand I know this site quite well

              Der WanderHeerBeobachter
              Last edited by jlbetin; 12 Oct 03, 16:40.
              The Best weapon ever:a good Joke. The Best shield ever: Humour
              JLBETIN© Aka Der Wanderer TOAW Section Leader is a █ WHQ/SZO/XG/Gamesquad® product since 01/2003
              The Birth of European Army Tournament round Three is opened

              Comment


              • #8
                I still like Wehrmacht better. It just sounds cooler than Bundeswehr.
                Editor-in-Chief
                GameSquad.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Don Maddox
                  I still like Wehrmacht better. It just sounds cooler than Bundeswehr.
                  Maybe it's just me, but when I see Bundeswehr, I keep thinking of Budwieser.......
                  "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Tim McBride
                    Maybe it's just me, but when I see Bundeswehr, I keep thinking of Budwieser.......
                    Unaceptable !!!!

                    When you spoke about Germany don't compare this kind of p*ss liquid BudNothing to THE COUNTRY OF BEER.

                    There are so good beer in Germany, I don't know if Dow took time to go to a BierStub, or a Weinstub. But there you can drink some of the best beer ever.

                    Even don't speak of So called Canadian beer

                    tssssss budshit when speaking of Germany it is a Blasphem


                    Der WanderBierLover
                    The Best weapon ever:a good Joke. The Best shield ever: Humour
                    JLBETIN© Aka Der Wanderer TOAW Section Leader is a █ WHQ/SZO/XG/Gamesquad® product since 01/2003
                    The Birth of European Army Tournament round Three is opened

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Tim McBride
                      Maybe it's just me, but when I see Bundeswehr, I keep thinking of Budwieser.......
                      Sound like some kind of fancy ladies hat to me.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jlbetin
                        Even don't speak of So called Canadian beer
                        AHEM! Have you had a fair sampling of Canuck beer, JL?

                        But hey, being half German, I can appreciate their brew...
                        "When I am abroad I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the Government of my country. I make up for lost time when I am at home."

                        Winston Churchill

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Tim McBride
                          Maybe it's just me, but when I see Bundeswehr, I keep thinking of Budwieser.......
                          Hmm, when I see Bundeswehr I keep thinking of Annie Chui (or other girls)...
                          a brain cell

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Laszlo, everything makes you think of Annie!

                            (Or pizza...)

                            "When I am abroad I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the Government of my country. I make up for lost time when I am at home."

                            Winston Churchill

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Mantis
                              Laszlo, everything makes you think of Annie!

                              (Or pizza...)

                              Oh no, here is for example, errrr, khmmm, (I forgot...)
                              a brain cell

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X