Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the most overlooked, undervalued, underestimated aspect of WWII?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Canuckster View Post
    Caen, Stalingrad and Ortona also come to mind as places where the rubble was used to make pretty good defensive positions.

Instead of trying to bomb/shell the place into oblivion before going in, what would have been a better course of action?
    Not sure. I'll need to give it some thought; especially as the answer might not be the same for all of the cases we have mentioned.
    Cassino in particular, IMHO, was rather different from the others.
    Last edited by panther3485; 06 Mar 18, 18:15.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

• Originally posted by Canuckster View Post
      Caen, Stalingrad and Ortona also come to mind as places where the rubble was used to make pretty good defensive positions.
      Not a particularly WW2 phenomenon. In the SCW the Alcazar became a tougher nut to crack after shelling and mining reduced much of it to rubble. Going further back see the siege of Saragossa in the Napoleonic period
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

• Stalins motivation is undervalued. We all need to look into the so called crimes of the USSR. There were issues in the USSR as in fellow allied countries the USA and England. That said the Third Reich was highly succesfull at brainwashing people into hating everything about Communism, trying to tell the world that so called international Jews could not work a job or carry a rifle...well to that point, 500,000 Soviet Jews fought greatly and knocked the Reich out in WW2 ..

Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM

Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

• Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
          ..phantom pain in the place where my leg used to be!! They have never found anything to fix it..
          I'm by no means an expert on medical matters but it seems in cases of amputation the subconscious mind has trouble coming to terms with the fact that the limb is not there any more, and sends out phantom pain signals to alert the person that somethings not right.
          So why not try hypnosis where the hypnotist gently "tells" the subconscious mind to forget the limb and to just let it go?
          It might work or not, I don't know.

Comment

• Originally posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
            I'm by no means an expert on medical matters but it seems in cases of amputation the subconscious mind has trouble coming to terms with the fact that the limb is not there any more, and sends out phantom pain signals to alert the person that somethings not right.
            So why not try hypnosis where the hypnotist gently "tells" the subconscious mind to forget the limb and to just let it go?
            It might work or not, I don't know.
            Well Spike, the Medical profession do not seem to have the answer, I am now on Lycra, which they tell me is not a pain killer as such, but deadens the nerves, they are very cautious about the dose though. Up unto this present time I would say its success rating is about 75% which is 100% in comparison with the pain killers I've had and it is 1 in the morning and 2 at night with a blunt refusal by the Doctors to go higher. Thanks for your interest anyway, but I do not think talking to it will do it. The reason being I have a natural very casual outlook on life in general and talking I don't think would better that. Cheers, lcm1
            'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
            " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

• Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video

George S Patton

Comment

• Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
                The thread is about overlooked not over-hyped...

Comment

• DDT

Without DDT Europe would have been overwhelmed with a pandemic of Typhus at the end of the war. Vast numbers of people were on the move both refugees fleeing war's destruction and deported peoples trying to get back home many (most?) of whom had clothes harbouring lice - the main vector for typhus. Thanks to some of the Nazi's insane inhumanities reservoirs of the disease already existed in labour and concentration camps all over Europe. Without the use of DDT on a massive scale the disease would have spread uncontrollably

In the Pacific theatre, Burma, New Guinea etc it gave the Allied ground forces a major advantage over the Japanese in the control of mosquito borne diseases such as malaria, indeed Churchill was to cite DDT as one of the main causes of Allied victory

DDT was the right measure for the time, unfortunately post war it became seen as a 'magic bullet. and its indiscriminate use created more problems than it solved - often the case with magic bullets.
                  Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

• Interestingly, many Black units in the US military have been overlooked for the kind of hyped up fame ones like the Tuskegee airmen got:

Such as the USS Mason DE 529

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Mason_(DE-529)

Comment

• The leadership of Winston Churchill, may he never be forgotten. Churchill angered the axis powers and brought joy to the allied powers with his words,

George S Patton

Comment

The leadership of Winston Churchill, may he never be forgotten. Churchill angered the axis powers and brought joy to the allied powers with his words,

During the dark days of the early years of the war he was the only man that knew what to say and when to say it. You did not need to say to people that you met " Did you hear Winston last night?" You knew that Every one heard him, it did not matter a damn what your Politics were, he bought smiles to faces and new Heart to those that were depressed and everyone Knew for certain, We would never give in. lcm1
                        'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                        " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

The leadership of Winston Churchill, may he never be forgotten. Churchill angered the axis powers and brought joy to the allied powers with his words,

Hardly " the most overlooked, undervalued, underestimated aspect of WWII"

What bit of the thread title don't you understand?

Comment

• Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
                            During the dark days of the early years of the war he was the only man that knew what to say and when to say it. You did not need to say to people that you met " Did you hear Winston last night?" You knew that Every one heard him, it did not matter a damn what your Politics were, he bought smiles to faces and new Heart to those that were depressed and everyone Knew for certain, We would never give in. lcm1
                            Yes very well said. Churchhill was a great motivator.

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                            Hardly " the most overlooked, undervalued, underestimated aspect of WWII"

What bit of the thread title don't you understand?
                            Good sir you misunderstand. The issue is that we dont hear about the motivation of Churchill enough today. Much WW2 talk is about battle tactics as opposed to moral integrity. Although certainly the latter can help to win battles.

George S Patton

Comment

• Debate the topic and not the poster. Gentle reminder for now.
                              Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Comment

• One thing I would add would be the auxiliary services that freed up men for active service. One example is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%...iary_Air_Force
                                Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X