Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the most overlooked, undervalued, underestimated aspect of WWII?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
    No one warned of the dangers of smoking in the 30s and 40s, even the fifties and 60s. If you were male usually you smoked. Not so much with Females. I often think about the smoke covered places of entertainment where I spent my youth. lcm1
    Heh, just ask Tex:

Will no one tell me what she sings?--
    Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
    For old, unhappy, far-off things,
    And battles long ago:
    -William Wordsworth, "The Solitary Reaper"

Comment

• Originally posted by Desiree Clary View Post
      Heh, just ask Tex:

I have of course inherited the vascular disease as punishment, lack of blood flow in the lower limbs, leg ulcers that never quite go away, amputation etc: I can only thank God that it was not { touch wood ) the big 'C'. lcm1
      'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
      " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

• Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
        Nice shot of all the fragmentation you get from one shell!

Maybe that is an undervalued aspect of the war; the science of artillery.
        "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

• Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
          Nice shot of all the fragmentation you get from one shell!

Maybe that is an undervalued aspect of the war; the science of artillery.
          90% of all combat casualties during both world wars are said due to artillery
          "Keep Calm. Use Less X's"

Comment

• Originally posted by dmf01 View Post
            90% of all combat casualties during both world wars are said due to artillery
            Yes, Patton once said- "I don't have to tell you who won the war, the artillery did".
            Same in wargaming, I have to continually drum it into my recruits to stop pussyfooting around and instead DEMOLISH an enemy-held town with a massive artillery bombardment first to collapse it on top of them and THEN send in the infanty to mop up, because the enemy pose no threat if they're mush..
            Stalin said the same thing- "Artillery is the God of War"

Russian 152mm gun-

Comment

I can only thank God that it was not { touch wood ) the big 'C'. lcm1
              I guessed as much from your posts, Ken. Stay well, you are in my prayers.
              And battles long ago:

Comment

• Originally posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
                Yes, Patton once said- "I don't have to tell you who won the war, the artillery did".
                Same in wargaming, I have to continually drum it into my recruits to stop pussyfooting around and instead DEMOLISH an enemy-held town with a massive artillery bombardment first to collapse it on top of them and THEN send in the infanty to mop up, because the enemy pose no threat if they're mush..

Russian 152mm gun-
                The main gun production in USSR was in my hometown - Perm aka Molotov in 1940-57 - as well as aircraft engines and lots of other stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by dmf01 View Post
                  The main gun production in USSR was in my hometown - Perm aka Molotov in 1940-57 - as well as aircraft engines and lots of other stuff.
                  "was"?

Yeah, we have lots of places like that too.

Isn't anyone but the Chinese making anything today?
                  "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

• Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                    "was"?

Yeah, we have lots of places like that too.

Isn't anyone but the Chinese making anything today?
                    Well, we're talking about history here, don't we?

Comment

• Originally posted by Poor Old Spike View Post

Russian 152mm gun-
                      Yet towns and in some cases cities practically demolished had enemy STILL in occupation ready to kill you!! lcm1
                      'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Desiree Clary View Post
                        I guessed as much from your posts, Ken. Stay well, you are in my prayers.
                        Thank you Sue, do you know the most pain and discomfort is still the phantom pain in the place where my leg used to be!! They have never found anything to fix it, I am now on Lyrica which seems to be the nearest fix. They tell me it is not so much a pain killer as a deadening of the nerves. I give it about 75%.
                        'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Thank you Sue, do you know the most pain and discomfort is still the phantom pain in the place where my leg used to be!! They have never found anything to fix it, I am now on Lyrica which seems to be the nearest fix. They tell me it is not so much a pain killer as a deadening of the nerves. I give it about 75%.
                          Sweetie, it is an amputation neuroma, hard to do anything about. Lyrica does seem to work in some cases, as does a steroid injection. Talk to your doc about it. Much love
                          And battles long ago:

Comment

Yet towns and in some cases cities practically demolished had enemy STILL in occupation ready to kill you!! lcm1
                            Makes me think of Monte Cassino in Italy, where the Allies bombed the place to rubble and the Germans fought just as hard, if not harder, from the rubble.
                            "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

• I have a good one for you.

Reading a book now called "The forgotten 500". It is about (mostly) American aviators that had to bail out over Yugoslavia and were sheltered by the locals until they could be airlifted out in a hair-raising recuse operation in August of 1944.
                              It was overlooked at the time, and afterwards, because it was Chetniks that rescued, sheltered and arranged for the rescue, not Tito's partisans.
                              Politics nearly left 512 airmen to the tender mercies of the Nazis, thanks to the insane fiction that the Chetniks had defected to the Axis.

Still, the evacuations were carried out, in may cases in broad daylight, perhaps the greatest mass-rescue of downed aviators in history.
                              "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

• Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
                                Makes me think of Monte Cassino in Italy, where the Allies bombed the place to rubble and the Germans fought just as hard, if not harder, from the rubble.
                                Caen, Stalingrad and Ortona also come to mind as places where the rubble was used to make pretty good defensive positions.

Instead of trying to bomb/shell the place into oblivion before going in, what would have been a better course of action?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X