No announcement yet.

Combat tactics, East/West Front

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is my reading list. I am shifting from a focus on the Red Army and the East Front mid 1941- mid 1944.

The new focus is on German armored units, West Front 1944 and the East Front mid 1944- mid 1945.

Last edited by Cult Icon; 26 Jul 18, 07:15.
    Zhitomir-Berdichev, West of Kiev: 24 Dec 1943-31 Jan 1944
    Stalin's Favorite: The Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army
    Barbarossa Derailed I & II
    Battle of Kalinin October 1941

Comment

• interesting info regarding 3rd Tank Army :

By panzer alex:

"Before the soviet offensive (January 31, 1943) in the 3 Tank Army were 57 557 men and 223 tanks (among its 85 combat-ready).
      3 Tank Army consist of: 12 Tank Corps , 15 Tank Corps, 179 Independet Tank Brigade, 48 Guard Rifle Division, 62 Guard Rifle Division, 184 Rifle Division, 160 Rifle Division, 111 Rifle Division, also 6 Guard Cavalry Corps.
      As a whole for offensive to Kharkov (operation “Zvezda”, on English – “Star”) intended:
      -38 Army (240, 167, 206, 237 Rifle Divisions, 232 and 253 Rifle Divisions from 60 Army; 180, 14 and 150 Tank Brigade, three Independet Arty Regiments.
      - 40 Army (25 Guard Rifle Division, 183, 309, 107, 340, 305 Rifle Divisions, 303 and 100 Rifle Divisions from 60 Army; 4,6,8 Ski Brigade, 129 Rifle Brigade; 4 Tank Corps, 10 Arty Division, 4 Division MLRS (“Katyusha”), 5 Division Air Defence (Arty).
      - 3 Tank Army.
      On the average the strength of soviet Rifle Divisions from these Armies were 5000-6000 men.
      On February 17 there were only 49 663 men and 110 tanks in the 3 Tank Army.
      On February 28 there were only 69 tanks in the 3 Tank Army.
      Something about German forces:
      On February 19 XXXXVIII Panzer Korps consist of: 6,17 and 19 Pz.D.
      In the beginning of March XXXXVIII Panzer Korps consist of: 6 and 11 Pz.D.
      On February 28 there were 55 combat-ready tanks in 11 Pz.D. "

https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=90434

Comment

• Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
        On February 28 there were only 69 tanks in the 3 Tank Army.
        Operational tanks. Total number on strength was in excess of 500.

Comment

• From "Firestorm"- the 9th and 10 SS Panzer divisions were the first panzer divisions to train specifically to repel the landings. Later came the 12th SS and the 21st Panzer divisions.

They trained in anti-airborne operations- noted that this training came in handy in Operation Market-Garden.

-On being sent to the Soviet Union in the Spring of 1944, they were issued orders that they not "waste" themselves on the Eastern Front as their primary mission was in France. So the units took signficant losses but not to a level where it would seriously reduce their capabilities.

-of note is that volunteers for the Waffen SS dried up in 1943 and only 13,000 were allocated to the 9.SS and 10.SS Panzer divisions. Some 8,000 were impressed foreigners.

Comment

• Newsreel August 1944- one of the SS Panzer divisions, probably SS-Wiking. Armored recon in full formation.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE6TWnKVEAU

Comment

• This footage seems to be of 9.SS Panzer division's baptism of fire (relief operation for Festerplatz Tarnopol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbKtpDuOklQ

Comment

• This is a very interesting thread.

https://www.forum-der-wehrmacht.de/i...il-i/&pageNo=6

I am reading the analysis reports and they clarify certain things:

-KW ratings seem to be signed off by division or Korps commanders.

-The rating of German panzer and PzG divisions with "KW" most heavily hinges on the General's opinion on the capabilities of the men. Material is secondary. There is great emphasis on discussing the leadership and training level of the troops.

-"KW" ratings are quality ratings much more than quantity ratings. A quantitatively weak panzer division with good people and just a handful of tanks and support weapons (regimental battlegroup) was rated KW II (usable for limited offensive tasks). Panzer Lehr rated KW IV on April 1, 1944 despite a collection of assets.

While in the Ardennes offensive and Spring Awakening, you have Waffen SS Panzer divisions being rated KW III and being heavily manned and with a lot more equipment.

-So far, in 43/44 Panzer divisions generally have over 1,000 sub-machinguns, 100-900 semiautomatic rifles, 200-300 rifle grenade launchers
                Last edited by Cult Icon; 11 Aug 18, 21:20.

Comment

• Originally posted by Artyom_A View Post
                  Regarding machine guns:
                  In January 1944 the German Heer had about 230 000 machine guns, the Soviet Army and Navy - 270 000 (without anti-aircraft)
                  In June 44 - about 270 000 and 280 000 respectively.
                  That's a surprising parity in numbers. Also LW and KM must have their MG as well.
                  I wonder where all these machine guns were, they made almost 1000 per field division.
                  Returning to the old topic:
                  German holdings of machine guns:

Total Army - 107 193 MG34 + 85 392 MG42, including
                  Field Army - 61 762 MG34 + 49 653 MG42, including
                  Eastern Front - 30 021 MG34 + 19 982 MG42

Total Army - 97 911 MG34 + 142 828 MG42, including
                  Field Army - 53 057 MG34 + 82 200 MG42, including
                  Eastern Front - 19 144 MG34 + 37 489 MG42

Plus unspecified number of older models (MG 08) and captured machine guns. Not sure if vehicle-mounted weapons are included
                  So a great part of machine guns were in depots or with a replacement army. Also a relatively modest share of the Eastern Front. Was it a result of losses?

Comment

• Are vehicle mounted counted ?
                    There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

Comment

• With the Panzer/PzG divisions in the thread and elsewhere, the German panzer divisions that were active on the Eastern front were generally way below their authorized numbers of MGs due to losses I believe.

17.SS had over 1,000 MGs and 12.SSHJ had over 1600 (nearly at authorized) before the normandy landings. So the units in the West should be better equipped as they sat there accumulating material for months if not up to a year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Emtos View Post
                        Are vehicle mounted counted ?
                        Not sure, but it doesn't seem that they are, since these files (NARA T78 R726) don't contain stats on tank, Stug or self-propelled guns.
                        I've noticed that in September 1944 a correction was made which removed 80 000 MG from the total number. So a large number of weapons before that date could exist on paper only as a result of faulty reporting of losses. That would explain a completely unnatural proportion between holdings of the army as a whole and holdings of Feldheer. A similar but smaller correction was made in October 1943. A summary table (March 43- November 44) is attached below

MGs.png

Comment

• Thanks. Where does it comes from ?
                          There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

Comment

• Captured German records from the US National Archives, which you can find online (T78 R726):
                            https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...E0D867A0FFD616

Comment

• For comparison machine guns of all types (including captured) in the German Army as of 1.12.44:

Eastern Front - 73 640 light and 8 176 heavy
                              20 Mountain Army (as of 1.11.44) - 5411 light and 1102 heavy
                              Norway - 3266 + 613
                              Denmark - 748 + 204
                              West - 28 183 + 3559
                              Italy - 19 381 + 3770
                              Balkans - 9081 + 1676
                              Field units under control of the Replacement Army (in formation etc) - 4471 + 986

Total about 144 000 light MGs vs. the authorized number of 216 000, 20 000 heavy MG vs. 28 500 authorized. Shortfall was almost universal, only some minor theaters like Norway/Finland and Balkans were close the the authorized numbers.

Comment

• https://www.amazon.com/Panzerkampfgr...ustomerReviews

I have in my files this book- it's a collection of rare photos of the german counterattack to restore the German supply lines during the Battle of Narva. It gives a good view on terrain.

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502,(with Tiger ace Otto Carius),Fuhrer Begleit Battalion,and Panzergrenadier Division Feldherrnhalle

This Japanese Cartoon is an artist's rendering about the counterattack (focused on Otto Carius' Tiger platoon)

https://imgur.com/gallery/SeAtJ

Comment

Working...
                                X