Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WW2 Missions how many did you actually need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadkiller
    replied
    In Bomber Command, made up of aircrew from across the Commonwealth as well as many from occupied minor allies (Poland, etc), the number of operations required to be posted out was 30.
    An operation was defined as one in which your aircraft dropped bombs on the target. For a time the idea of a 1/2 operation was introduced when it was felt that the operation attacked lightly defended areas.

Leave a comment:

• McMax
    replied
    It depended in what theater you were in. NW Europe it was 25 mission later it was increase to 35. In the Mediterranean it was 30 then 40. It the Pacific and Asia it was 50.

Leave a comment:

• lcm1
    replied
    Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
    This is not really my forte, heard different accounts from many people over the years, so is this correct?

My understanding is that aircrews could go home after completing 25 combat missions in the beginning of the war. The requirement was raised to 50 combat missions (maybe less in between?) near the end. At some point the AAF abolished the entire program, aircrews just flew until the end of the war.

How accurate am I?
    It varied in different countries and also altered as the war went on. Can't see them abolish it all together because some crew members had shocking breakdowns and had to be taken off and then the heartless bastards labelled them LMF. lcm1

Leave a comment:

• WW2 Missions how many did you actually need?

This is not really my forte, heard different accounts from many people over the years, so is this correct?

My understanding is that aircrews could go home after completing 25 combat missions in the beginning of the war. The requirement was raised to 50 combat missions (maybe less in between?) near the end. At some point the AAF abolished the entire program, aircrews just flew until the end of the war.

How accurate am I?

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X