A tribute to Von, ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A tribute to Von, ...

... for all the interesting RAF aircraft info. he posts, the debates he sparks, and for his love of the Lancaster; this one's for you compadre:

This season's first run-up of the "Lady Orchid":

"Lady Orchid explained:
    http://www.thespec.com/news-story/67...ook-this-year/

A couple of my own pics of "Lady Orchid" at the Trenton Airshow this past weekend (sorry about the quality, I forgot my camera and was forced to use my phone):

Pssst, "Lady Orchid" is really "Vera" gone schizo.
    "I am Groot"
    - Groot

There will always be something powerful and unforgettable about the WWII warplanes that just isn't there in the modern stuff. A kind of "soul" if you will. Maybe it's the rumbling road of those big engines...

To me, it's like the difference between stream engines and diesels - any train nut will tell you that steam engines have souls, but diesels do not. Can;t really explain it any better.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

to you , Von
      Will no one tell me what she sings?--
      Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
      For old, unhappy, far-off things,
      And battles long ago:
      -William Wordsworth, "The Solitary Reaper"

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        There will always be something powerful and unforgettable about the WWII warplanes that just isn't there in the modern stuff. A kind of "soul" if you will. Maybe it's the rumbling road of those big engines...

To me, it's like the difference between stream engines and diesels - any train nut will tell you that steam engines have souls, but diesels do not. Can;t really explain it any better.
        Simple you can hear and see a steam engine breathing.
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Isn't it the beautest plane ever designed beside the Lanc ?
          That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I certainly go with you regards the warbirds and the steam trains.

It is as though they had soul and personality that later stuff seems to lack.

As a kid I sat in a Spitfire, [in Singapore I saw Spitfires and Mosquitoes arm and power up], and was also on trains pulled by the likes of Mallard, Sir Nigel Gresley, Battle of Britain, Flying Scotsman, Talisman, and Cock of the North.

Glad to see another of the old Lancs get off the ground!

My late uncle Brian was a pilot in Stirlings and Lancs.

I worked with an old timer who was navigator on pathfinder Lancs, then went over to pathfinder Mossies.
            Last edited by Wooden Wonder; 27 Jun 16, 13:40.

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
              Isn't it the beautest plane ever designed beside the Lanc ?
              I'd answer if you'd indicated which aircraft you were talking about
              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Not the B25 ,the one and only P51
                That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
                  Not the B25 ,the one and only P51
                  Well, certainly nice looking and effective [once the Merlin was installed], but there are numbers of other contenders on the warbird catwalk.

Comment

Originally posted by Marmat View Post
                    ... for all the interesting RAF aircraft info. he posts, the debates he sparks, and for his love of the Lancaster; this one's for you compadre:

"Lady Orchid explained:

A couple of my own pics of "Lady Orchid" at the Trenton Airshow this past weekend (sorry about the quality, I forgot my camera and was forced to use my phone):

The top turret looks like its sporting larger mg's - twin .5" cal?
                    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Yes, ...

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                      The top turret looks like its sporting larger mg's - twin .5" cal?
                      ... the Canadian built Lancaster Mk. X ( i.e. Lancaster B X) was essentially a British Mk III, but featured a heavier US built Martin dorsal turret with .50 cal. Brownings, situated a bit further up on the spine of the aircraft due to the altered center of gravity caused by the heavier turret. The British built Mk. VII Lancaster had the same layout.

You can see the different dorsal turret positions in this photo of "Thumper", a British built Lancaster B I, in the foreground, and "Vera", the Canadian built Lancaster B X behind. I think the photo was taken in the summer of 2014, when Vera flew over for a visit!

Last edited by Marmat; 27 Jun 16, 15:30.
                      "I am Groot"
                      - Groot

Comment

Oy! to you Von!

Regards,
                        Dennis
                        If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Thanks chaps, the kids got me 'Reunion of Giants' for Father's Day. Thumper, Vera and Just Jane... bloody marvelous!

The long toll of the brave
                          Is not lost in darkness
                          Over the fruitful earth
                          And athwart the seas
                          Hath passed the light of noble deeds
                          Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Marmat View Post

"Lady Orchid explained:

Von?.......Von? The name has a familiar ring!............Great photo's Von!! lcm1
                            'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                            " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

What??? Vera isn't Vera anymore !!!!

Although the tribute to Andy Mynarski was a very nice gesture, I actually like the change because it now has a much more 'WW2' look to it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X