--Frederick II, King of Prussia

Then and now? Cool pictures
    Will no one tell me what she sings?--
    Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
    For old, unhappy, far-off things,
    And battles long ago:
    -William Wordsworth, "The Solitary Reaper"

Comment

Been there done that. Sort of a disappointment but that's what happens when traveling with a wife that had little interest in history.
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

They made no effort to rebuild it.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
        --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Don't look like it.

Why, I don't have the foggiest reason other than the connection wasn't needed.
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
            Been there done that. Sort of a disappointment but that's what happens when traveling with a wife that had little interest in history.
            Similar circumstance and disappointment when I saw it in 1974.
            Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
              They made no effort to rebuild it.
              It was a railway bridge - the era when rail was king was already fading
              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

What did you all expect Disneyland? It's a blown up bridge for Christ's sake.
                My worst jump story:
                My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                No lie.

~
                "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                  Not so much blown up as collapsed later - that was the whole point - it was a semi intact bridge. If it had been blown up there would have been no film and Napoleon Solo wouldn't have faced a firing squad
                  Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

There is a river dividing Lake Charles from the West side of the parish (Calcasieu). For a long time there were two railroad bridges over the river. One brought in traffic from the North and one brought in traffic from the West. They were owned by different rail systems. Just North of the two bridges was a shipyard that loaded and unloaded barges. The company used tree stumps to tie onto. Then one day the river was at flood stage and one of these old stumps pulled out of the ground. The barge got loose and sailed right into the Northernmost bridge. It knocked the rotating middle right into the river!

One would think the owner would have used the insurance money and rebuilt, right? Wrong! Even though a lot of traffic used the bridge to reach the Port pf Lake Charles (Arkansas Rice for one), the owner announced they would just shuttle the traffic onto the other bridge! The trouble is the rail companies charge a fee for this. When the Arkansas Rice Growers heard of the extra fee, did they argue and try to get it changed? No, they started shipping their Rice to Houston instead! I guess the company owned the tracks to Houston.

They went as far as to modify the tracks coming up to where the old bridge was. Now they just park rail cars on it. I have wondered for years how much it would cost to rebuild the span and would the company use it? If I could do it I would charge a small fee for every train crossing! One problem with the missing bridge is the Army would ship large equipment across it when there was a need to deploy. The Louisiana National Guard and the units at Fort Polk (2nd Armored Cavalry once) used it. Now they have to go to Houston!

I am sure the owner of the bridge looked into which bridges were destroyed during WW2 and decided how many bridges they could get by with and did it!

Pruitt
                    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                      Not so much blown up as collapsed later - that was the whole point - it was a semi intact bridge. If it had been blown up there would have been no film and Napoleon Solo wouldn't have faced a firing squad
                      "The bridge had endured months of aircraft bombing, direct artillery hits, near misses, and deliberate demolition attempts. It finally collapsed at 3:00 PM on 17 March."

Correct, it just fell down and went boom.
                      My worst jump story:
                      My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                      As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                      No lie.

~
                      "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                      -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Correct, it just fell down and went boom.
                        We have an 18th century bridge in this neighbourhood that did the same last week, just before a school bus was about to cross. The current theory is too many lorry drivers have been ignoring the weight restriction sign. One suspects the same happened to the Bridge at Remagen

Comment

Great post, MZ!

Do you know if the tunnel across the river is still intact?

Comment

Actually expected a museum, souvenir shop with plastic bridge that collapsed, and a place for the children to play and sing, "Remagen bridge is falling down, falling down, better hurry over!"
                            Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X