Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW2 comic book artist- Motofumi Kobayashi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motofumi_Kobayashi

His comic books are influenced greatly by German WW2 Newsreels and the german 'memoir' version of WW2. They are done in great detail.

I don't think I've ever seen a comic book artist that draws ww2 combat as well as him. He is particularly good at drawing armor and infantry combat and making it come alive.

If his work was released outside of Japan, it would be in trouble due to the perspective. (SS depicted as heroes)

I have his Operation Barbarossa and 'Kampfgruppe ZBV' book. He also has a 'Case Blue', 'Typhoon' and 'Kursk' book that I am interested in.

The black knight story (黒騎士物語), 1985
    Panzer Vor! (パンツァーフォー!), 1986
    Panzergrenadier (装甲擲弾兵), 1987
    Panzer krieg (パンツァークリーク), 1988
    Death of the steel (鋼鉄の死神), 1989 - The biography of Michael Wittmann.
    Warrior in Flames -Jochen Peiper (炎の騎士 ヨーヘン・パイパー戦記), 1990 - The biography of Jochen Peiper.
    Kampfgruppe Zbv (カンプグルッペZbv), 1993
    Happy tiger (ハッピータイガー), 1993
    Japanisch Frw. Bataillon der Waffen SS (東亜総統特務隊), 1995. - 'Japanese foreign legion of the Waffen-SS.' It's a comedy.
    Unternehmen Barbarossa (バルバロッサ作戦), 2001. - Operation Barbarossa
    Unternehmen Taifun (タイフーン作戦), 2002. - Operation Typhoon
    Unternehmen Blau (ブラウ作戦), 2003. - Operation Blue
    Unternehmen Zitadelle (ツィタデル作戦), 2005. - Operation Zitadelle
    Deutschland Afrika Korps (アフリカ軍団), 2006. - Afrika Korps and the biography of Erwin Rommel.
    Samland 1945

Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motofumi_Kobayashi

His comic books are influenced greatly by German WW2 Newsreels and the german 'memoir' version of WW2. They are done in great detail.

I don't think I've ever seen a comic book artist that draws ww2 combat as well as him. He is particularly good at drawing armor and infantry combat and making it come alive.

If his work was released outside of Japan, it would be in trouble due to the perspective. (SS depicted as heroes)

I have his Operation Barbarossa and 'Kampfgruppe ZBV' book. He also has a 'Case Blue', 'Typhoon' and 'Kursk' book that I am interested in.

The black knight story (黒騎士物語), 1985
    Panzer Vor! (パンツァーフォー!), 1986
    Panzergrenadier (装甲擲弾兵), 1987
    Panzer krieg (パンツァークリーク), 1988
    Death of the steel (鋼鉄の死神), 1989 - The biography of Michael Wittmann.
    Warrior in Flames -Jochen Peiper (炎の騎士 ヨーヘン・パイパー戦記), 1990 - The biography of Jochen Peiper.
    Kampfgruppe Zbv (カンプグルッペZbv), 1993
    Happy tiger (ハッピータイガー), 1993
    Japanisch Frw. Bataillon der Waffen SS (東亜総統特務隊), 1995. - 'Japanese foreign legion of the Waffen-SS.' It's a comedy.
    Unternehmen Barbarossa (バルバロッサ作戦), 2001. - Operation Barbarossa
    Unternehmen Taifun (タイフーン作戦), 2002. - Operation Typhoon
    Unternehmen Blau (ブラウ作戦), 2003. - Operation Blue
    Unternehmen Zitadelle (ツィタデル作戦), 2005. - Operation Zitadelle
    Deutschland Afrika Korps (アフリカ軍団), 2006. - Afrika Korps and the biography of Erwin Rommel.
    Samland 1945
    That is interesting. Are those "rare and expensive" comics or can you purchase them relatively cheap? I already have some 5,000 or so comics which I collected in the 70's and 80's. Is there a site I can check to see his work ?..Some of my favorite artists are Barry Windsor Smith, John Buscema, and Ernie Chan.

Regards,Kurt
    Theo mir ist die munition ausgegangen ich werde diesen ramman auf wiedersehen uns in walhalla

Comment

I did some research and found this excellent portrayal of Jochen Peiper:

After work I will resume my research of Motofumi Kobayashi. I saw a few of his drafts and he is a great artist !

Regards,Kurt
      Theo mir ist die munition ausgegangen ich werde diesen ramman auf wiedersehen uns in walhalla

Comment

Just the portrait I need for my darts.
        "To hell wars Grudges and parties ! As our fathers Sing in real friends, The clink of glasses Roses and lilies. The clink of glasses Roses and lilies."

Comment

Originally posted by VieuxChat View Post
          hahaha!
          Tu l'as dis Gauthier !Une telle saloperie ,je mets des cierges pour qu'il brule en enfer.
          (the idea is that i hope he's burning in hell)

But my dear fellow citizen , we don't understand.
          This is the wonderful human leader that the fanboys adore in this scumbag , not the perverse ,degenerated ,vicious ,psycopath ,murderer that you and myself see in him.
          That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Originally posted by VieuxChat View Post
            Yeah I just got a new target...
            Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

I don't know.

Originally posted by Kurt Knispel View Post
              That is interesting. Are those "rare and expensive" comics or can you purchase them relatively cheap? I already have some 5,000 or so comics which I collected in the 70's and 80's. Is there a site I can check to see his work ?..:
              I will post some stuff later. His strength is drawing things in motion while obviously having full knowledge of the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
                I don't know.

I will post some stuff later. His strength is drawing things in motion while obviously having full knowledge of the subject.
                Seemingly only of the surface details ignoring the deeper ethical or moral implications. The Japanese themselves have a phrase for that - Monkey Clever
                Last edited by MarkV; 08 Jun 16, 13:32.
                Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                  Seemingly only of the surface details ignoring the deeper ethical or moral implications. The Japanese themselves have a phrase for that - Monkey Clever
                  He is the type of guy who read war memoirs and believes most of it I think. I also have his vietnam war book. What makes his stuff stand out is his understanding of the details, which is like an ACG poster on this forum. This is combined with his artistic talent.

Comment

I have to say that in this day and age - color having been around for a looong time, this doesn't really impress much:

The above is sample from "Barbarossa."
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      I have to say that in this day and age - color having been around for a looong time, this doesn't really impress much:

The above is sample from "Barbarossa."
                      The picture of the aiming PAK gunner reminds me of some i have hanging at home.

Edit: Use spoiler tags around very large images please
                      Thank you. ACG Staff

My brother also has one bigger of a 8,8cm Flak.
                      Last edited by panther3485; 09 Jun 16, 03:45.

Comment

Lovely flat.
                        That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Firstly I would like to say that bierbaron's drawings(pencils and inks) are very nice. I would like to know the artists name.

All comic artists have a distinct style. They may vary at times but if you see enough of an artists work you will know which artist it is. Mountain Man's Barbarossa post you can see the similarities in Kobayashi's other works here:

Motofumi Kobayashi color inks:

Some comic artists do all their own pencils, inking, and coloring while others may use a "team" here is an original draft page from Conan #156 page 29 for sale on E-Bay. Here John Buscema did the pencils (line drawings) and Ernie Chan did the inks (shading). you can zoom in on the photo

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONAN-156-PA...AN-INKS-MARVEL

Buscema/Chan color:

And here is one of my favorite covers by Earl Norem. He does the pencils and the coloring:

And here is a nice print depicting the death of Michael Wittmann (I'm going to try and find out who the artist is):

Here is a Wittmann portrait print (latino artist?):

Regards,Kurt

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt Knispel View Post
                            Firstly I would like to say that bierbaron's drawings(pencils and inks) are very nice. I would like to know the artists name.
                            Hey Kurt, sadly i can't tell you. The painters name below is most likely Ahrens. On the picture my brother has there is also a time indicating his picture was painted in Bochum in 1943. Aside of that i have no clues.

Comment

Originally posted by bierbaron View Post
                              Hey Kurt, sadly i can't tell you. The painters name below is most likely Ahrens. On the picture my brother has there is also a time indicating his picture was painted in Bochum in 1943. Aside of that i have no clues.
                              That's to bad we will never know who the artist is they are really good. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,Kurt

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Berlin.1945
                                by casanova
                                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                Yesterday, 23:41
                              • casanova
                                AW 169M
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                Yesterday, 23:26
                              • JBark
                                What changed?
                                by JBark
                                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                Yesterday, 18:54
                              Working...
                              X