Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battle of Berlin

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Battle of Berlin

    This is a thread exclusively about the military aspects of the battle or campaign.







    Last edited by Cult Icon; 05 Jun 16, 15:29.

  • #2
    Some neat pictures there. Berlin is definitely on my Bucket list.. Prague was on it too and I did that this summer already. Amazing city.

    Comment


    • #3
      My dad was there in '77 when the Wall was still up. Amazing experience, he said. I haven't been north of Bamberg, myself
      Will no one tell me what she sings?--
      Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
      For old, unhappy, far-off things,
      And battles long ago:
      -William Wordsworth, "The Solitary Reaper"

      Comment


      • #4
        That battle had to have been a chaotic meat grinder at best..........

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
          That battle had to have been a chaotic meat grinder at best..........
          That sums it up pretty well. Street for street room for room nothing pretty about it.
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

          Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

          you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
            That battle had to have been a chaotic meat grinder at best..........
            Actually, it was much more like methodical grinding through city blocks rather what your rather vivid imagination suggests. I've got several books with memoirs of Soviet veterans who stormed the city but they are all in Russian, of course.
            www.histours.ru

            Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ShAA View Post
              Actually, it was much more like methodical grinding through city blocks rather what your rather vivid imagination suggests. I've got several books with memoirs of Soviet veterans who stormed the city but they are all in Russian, of course.
              And doubtless all went through official scrutiny (and editing) before publication
              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
                This is a thread exclusively about the military aspects of the battle or campaign.

                An SU-76 in a city? Wow...
                That takes some serious nerve... one guy on the roof of any of those buildings with a rifle could ruin your whole life in less time than it takes to read this sentence.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Street for street and room is more about the final battle in the Berlin center. Suburbs and city periphery fell more easily. Day-by-day situation map. Germans simply didn't have an adequate garrison to defend the entire giant city.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                    And doubtless all went through official scrutiny (and editing) before publication
                    Nope, they were directly written by the Politruks who have never been there. You can only trust the unvarnished truth of SS veterans who told the story it exactly the way it really happened.
                    www.histours.ru

                    Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Some paintings of the battle made by the Soviet artists of Grekov Studio who took part in the storming:





                      Nurse Motya Nechiporukova, awarded all 3 degrees of the Order of Glory







                      www.histours.ru

                      Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                        An SU-76 in a city? Wow...
                        That takes some serious nerve... one guy on the roof of any of those buildings with a rifle could ruin your whole life in less time than it takes to read this sentence.
                        I'd rather be crewing an SU-76 than trying to manhandle a towed 76mm down a rubble filled city street.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                          An SU-76 in a city? Wow...
                          That takes some serious nerve... one guy on the roof of any of those buildings with a rifle could ruin your whole life in less time than it takes to read this sentence.
                          I can relate....

                          "Amateurs study tactics; professionals study logistics"
                          -Omar Bradley
                          "Not everyone who studies logistics is a professional logistician, and there is no way to understand when you don't know what you don't know."
                          -Anonymous US Army logistician

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ShAA View Post
                            Nope, they were directly written by the Politruks who have never been there. You can only trust the unvarnished truth of SS veterans who told the story it exactly the way it really happened.
                            Exactly!

                            Berlin: Dance of Death is the story of a Heer recruit whose military career lasted less than a month, all in Berlin.

                            No politics, no larger picture, just one teenager's experience. Interesting read.
                            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                              That sums it up pretty well. Street for street room for room nothing pretty about it.
                              No, I can feel it. lcm1
                              'By Horse by Tram'.


                              I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                              " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              • Karri
                                Prawn heads
                                by Karri
                                How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

                                So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
                                Yesterday, 11:40
                              • Jose50
                                Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
                                by Jose50
                                Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
                                Yesterday, 08:41
                              • Von Richter
                                Sagittarius Rising...
                                by Von Richter
                                Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
                                Yesterday, 01:19
                              Working...
                              X