Mast High Over Rotterdam - July 16 1941 RAF raid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mast High Over Rotterdam - July 16 1941 RAF raid

For those interested in the early actions of 2 Group RAF and their raids on the continent, this is a great find,a free download of a massive work on the July 16th 1941 raid on Rotterdam, Netherlands.

Mast High Over Rotterdam by Lionel 'Rusty" Russell

In June of 2015, through a remarkable coincidence, I was contacted by by Lionel ‘Rusty’ Russell, a retired RAF pilot who has spent a large chunk of his life researching and writing a book about a single raid on the docks at Rotterdam on 16th July 1941.

In 2 Group, Bomber Command, terms, it was an outstanding success, not only because of the tonnage of shipping claimed as destroyed or damaged, but also because ‘only’ four Blenheims were lost out of the 36 aircraft that attacked the docks.
    Nine brave men lost their lives, including the young and charismatic leader of the Second Wave – Wing Commander Tim Partridge, CO of No 18 Squadron. Also lost was Rusty’s cousin, Sergeant Leonard Mynott, a Wireless Operator/Air Gunner on No 21 Squadron.

After Len’s Blenheim, V6240 (YH:B) of 21 Squadron, had been shot down at 1655 hours, it crashed into Waalhaven – the largest dock in Rotterdam. The wreckage of the Blenheim, and the bodies of two of the crew, Sergeant Eric Bevan (pilot) and Pilot Officer Ralph Slade (observer) were recovered shortly after the crash, but no trace was ever found Sgt. Mynott who is thus commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial as having no known grave.

Rusty’s hope is that “Mast High Over Rotterdam will prove a welcome reference for anyone researching those very brave souls who served on Blenheims in No 2 Group, Bomber Command during the Second World War.”

It is a most remarkable work of more than 600 meticulously researched pages. Only one printed copy exists and that will reside in the RAF Museum at Hendon as a reference. But we are privileged to be able to bring you this book in its entirety on RAFWatton.info.

To ease reading it has been split into three sections accessible from the following links, please note that splitting the book means that the viewer page numbering at the top of the screen in sections 2 and 3 does not correspond to the book’s page numbers. If you are looking for a specific page in those sections, please refer to the page numbers in the document itself
    Enjoy Looks like a great tribute to those lost on this mission.

When I clicked on the download links my browser hit "unexpected server action" and the downloads failed - however I have a separate download manager (in this case EagleGet) and that worked fine. Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else has a problem.
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
      When I clicked on the download links my browser hit "unexpected server action" and the downloads failed - however I have a separate download manager (in this case EagleGet) and that worked fine. Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else has a problem.
      I clicked on all four links and they all worked OK for me.

Paul
      ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
      All human ills he can subdue,
      Or with a bauble or medal
      Can win mans heart for you;
      And many a blessing know to stew
      To make a megloamaniac bright;
      Give honour to the dainty Corse,
      The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse