• On this date in 1941...

Zee Bismarck was gesunken

http://www.nationalreview.com/slides...ory-april-2016
    Will no one tell me what she sings?--
    Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
    For old, unhappy, far-off things,
    And battles long ago:
    -William Wordsworth, "The Solitary Reaper"

She may've been History's most expensive commerce-raider, but if she had actually reached an Atlantic convoy.....
    Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

and in North Africa ze Germans re-capture Halfaya Pass...
      One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic.

Comment

Originally posted by the ace View Post
        She may've been History's most expensive commerce-raider, but if she had actually reached an Atlantic convoy.....
        Of course both Bismarck and Tirpitz just had to BE, in order to tie up and dictate the use of large amounts of British Naval and Air Force assets, that were much needed elsewhere.

[As it was it wasn't a German surface raider that killed my uncle James [Merchant Navy], it was Captain Trojer in U-boot 221, who made a solo attack on the convoy, taking out 5 ships. I have a photo of him sporting his Knight's Cross. He, his crew, and the sub were knocked out in a depth charge attack by an RAF Halifax just over a year later.]

Comment

Damn shame about poor Solent.
          Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
          Hyperwar, Whats New
          World War II Resources
          The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Get over it, ...

Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
            Damn shame about poor Solent.
            ... just like Kenneth More and Dana Wynter did. Both were made aware that there was no RN WWI vet S-Class Destroyer carrying the name HMS Solent, and the sub that did, wasn't launched until 1944; they dried their eyes, folded their hankies, and got back to work, to "Sink the Bismarck!". So put that smile back on your face, sailor!
            "I am Groot"
            - Groot

Comment

Originally posted by the ace View Post
              Yes. I am in the throws of building the Bismark 1/200 at the moment and I think that actually handling and assembling the parts, registers on ones mind the magnitude ( or not ) of a ship. There is only one ship that has impressed me more, ( despite loving the Hood ) and that is the 'Mo'!! That I have berthed in all its Grandeur in my all glass show case and every now and again I look at it and think, What a Ship!!!But back to the Bismark, despite the damage that it could probably have done to Convoys, it was not built originally for such smaller fish work, it was built for actual sea Battles and that was something that never came about! The event in which our beloved Hood was sunk, was not an actual battle it was more a running fight. lcm1
              'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
              " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by Marmat View Post
                ... just like Kenneth More and Dana Wynter did. Both were made aware that there was no RN WWI vet S-Class Destroyer carrying the name HMS Solent, and the sub that did, wasn't launched until 1944; they dried their eyes, folded their hankies, and got back to work, to "Sink the Bismarck!". So put that smile back on your face, sailor!
                I thought "damn, how did I miss that!" when I saw it on DVD for the first time.
                Hyperwar, Whats New
                World War II Resources

Comment

Agreed, ...

Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
                  I thought "damn, how did I miss that!" when I saw it on DVD for the first time.
                  ... I had a "Huh?" moment when you mentioned "Solent" under "YOU TUBE WATCH: Sink the Bismarck!", went back and had a look for that scene. It's VERY short, and you really have to pay attention, BUT if you didn't know the history you'd be left thinking that Vian's force hit Bismarck with 2 torpedoes, and lost a destroyer while maintaining contact with Bismarck overnight awaiting Tovey's arrival, but that didn't happen. The movie did do a hatchet job on Lutjens as well.
                  "I am Groot"
                  - Groot

Comment

Originally posted by Marmat View Post
                    ... I had a "Huh?" moment when you mentioned "Solent" under "YOU TUBE WATCH: Sink the Bismarck!", went back and had a look for that scene. It's VERY short, and you really have to pay attention, BUT if you didn't know the history you'd be left thinking that Vian's force hit Bismarck with 2 torpedoes, and lost a destroyer while maintaining contact with Bismarck overnight awaiting Tovey's arrival, but that didn't happen. The movie did do a hatchet job on Lutjens as well.
                    Interestingly, the British did think they had hit the Bismarck with a least one torpedo during the running fight with the destroyers, and the Germans were equally convinced that they had sunk a destroyer.

Comment

RIP to the Bismarck's sailors. Must have been hell on earth to be on that ship on that last day.

Comment

Originally posted by Charger View Post
                        RIP to the Bismarck's sailors. Must have been hell on earth to be on that ship on that last day.
                        I recent helped with some files from the salvage of USS Oklahoma, documenting the ways men had indicated how long they had survived in the overturned battleship before succumbing to lack of oxygen or other means of death. It was a bit disturbing.
                        Hyperwar, Whats New
                        World War II Resources

Comment

"Is it bigger than a bread box?"

Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
                          Yes. I am in the throws of building the Bismark 1/200 at the moment and I think that actually handling and assembling the parts, registers on ones mind the magnitude ( or not ) of a ship. There is only one ship that has impressed me more, ( despite loving the Hood ) and that is the 'Mo'!! That I have berthed in all its Grandeur in my all glass show case and every now and again I look at it and think, What a Ship!!!But back to the Bismark, despite the damage that it could probably have done to Convoys, it was not built originally for such smaller fish work, it was built for actual sea Battles and that was something that never came about! The event in which our beloved Hood was sunk, was not an actual battle it was more a running fight. lcm1
                          1/200? Wow! How big is that thing? Please show us some photos when you've finished it.
                          ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                          IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                            Berlin.1945
                            by casanova
                            The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                            Yesterday, 23:41
                          • casanova
                            AW 169M
                            by casanova
                            The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                            Yesterday, 23:26
                          • JBark
                            What changed?
                            by JBark
                            There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                            Yesterday, 18:54
                          Working...
                          X