A giant in the sky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A giant in the sky

I share with you this extensive and fantastic collection of photos of one of the largest aircraft designed and built during World War II and operated by the Luftwaffe, including detailed photos and some rare color photos. Curious? Want to know which plane we talking about? Then visit the link below and see this amazing collection of photos:

Link removed for copyright reasons. ACG takes copyright seriously. Any future links to posts that contain uncredited material taken from other sources without credit will be deleted on sight.
    Thank you
    ACG Staff

Best Regards!
    Last edited by CarpeDiem; 15 May 16, 08:39.

Spamming your site again?
    Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
    Hyperwar, Whats New
    World War II Resources
    The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Spamming, don't make me laugh. His site offers a great big window on historical aircraft.

To the staff. Did he offer a link or was it from his own site?
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Guess we are talking about this?

How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

The 'Gigant', as it's name suggests, was indeed an impressive looking aircraft of the time - whether in the powered or glider form.

The big problem, however, was it's great vulnerability to interception by enemy aircraft or gunfire.

As with their massive rail guns, they began to realize that big did not neccessarily also mean cost effective.

Comment

There was apparently a single example of a twin version (a Z). This was intended as a carrier for the German answer to the Grand Slam bomb. Never found a photo though. It attempted a mission in 1945 but broke up in the air.
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
              There was apparently a single example of a twin version (a Z). This was intended as a carrier for the German answer to the Grand Slam bomb. Never found a photo though. It attempted a mission in 1945 but broke up in the air.
              I tried to look into this matter and came across two Z designated 323: Z 323G and Z 323H. I could not find anything that positively indicates that these machines had twin fuselages. The sparse documentation states a wing span ( 55 m) the same as that of the 323 E and the same number of engines (6). The normal transport load however was doubled. This machine was redesigned by Luftschiffbau Zeppelin not by Messerschmitt. It is clear from the documentation that there was considerable redesign of the airframe, with a new fuselage and tail unit, a reduced wing dihedral as well as a redesigned landing gear. The documentation only supplies design calculations for proposed a/c The proposal for the Z 323G was submitted 20.10.1943 and that for the Z 323H Project 18.05.1944.

(source: Die Giganten Me321-Me323 Luftfahrtmonographie LS3 - most of the documentation is either facsimile or transcript of originals)
              Last edited by dutched; 17 May 16, 18:12.
              The repetition of affirmations leads to belief. Once that belief becomes a deep conviction, you better wake up and look at the facts.

Comment

The project seems to have been for a twin joined by a new centre section and having nine BMW 801 engines. It would carry a 39,022 lb bomb developed by the Karlshagen armament establishment. Whilst I can find a number of brief descriptions in various articles etc none are sourced with a reference to any original documentation and all vary in detail. The bomb does seem to have been built and tested but I've seen dates ranging from late 1944 to April 1945 given for the test which does appear to have involved a modified Me 323 but there are scant details about how modified
                Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X