The 1,400 ton bomb off the coast of England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 1,400 ton bomb off the coast of England

The 1,400 ton bomb off the coast of England.
    Interesting story on a munitions ship that sank off the English coast during WW2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9u41aeItss

Meh. Overblown reporting... First, how much of that explosive has been exposed to seawater seeping in? Then, what type of explosives exactly were being hauled? TNT? Amatol? Black powder? Picric acid? Smokeless powder?
    The reason I ask that is many of the above deteriorate over time losing their explosive properties or having them reduced.
    Of the 1,400 tons how much is actual explosives versus containers, or other ordinance that the explosive is in? That wasn't made clear.

Oh, here's what happens when 500 tons of high explosive goes off....

That's Operation Sailor Hat.

Comment

Originally posted by redcoat View Post
      The 1,400 ton bomb off the coast of England.
      Interesting story on a munitions ship that sank off the English coast during WW2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9u41aeItss

Yes, the programme has been aired on the TV a few times over the last couple of decades. The authorities keep a regular eye on things, but if things were to go critical I'm not sure how much they could do to ensure minimal casualties. It is unlikely that such a commercial waterway would remain out of bounds for long, or that there would be a massive evacuation unless there was some certainty in any imminent scenario.

Comment

Why don't they just blow it up? They certainly detonated a number of aerial bombs they have dug up from the Blitz! If it is a hazard to shipping and civilians, then they should remove the threat.

Pruitt
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
          Meh. Overblown reporting... First, how much of that explosive has been exposed to seawater seeping in? Then, what type of explosives exactly were being hauled? TNT? Amatol? Black powder? Picric acid? Smokeless powder?
          The reason I ask that is many of the above deteriorate over time losing their explosive properties or having them reduced.
          Of the 1,400 tons how much is actual explosives versus containers, or other ordinance that the explosive is in? That wasn't made clear.

Oh, here's what happens when 500 tons of high explosive goes off....

That's Operation Sailor Hat.
          Think you may be taking it a little too seriously T.A. lcm1
          'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
          " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
            Why don't they just blow it up? They certainly detonated a number of aerial bombs they have dug up from the Blitz! If it is a hazard to shipping and civilians, then they should remove the threat.

Pruitt
            If it's the Richard Montgomery the clips about then it's not been blown up because one of Europe's largest lpg terminals is within the burst radius. If that goes then it would be like a small nuke.

You also have two towns on the Essex side within reach and one on the Kent side. (Well I think there are it's been a while since I've been down there)

Basically your screwed what ever you do. It's the only case I can think of where doing nothing really is the best option.
            "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by DARKPLACE View Post

You also have two towns on the Essex side within reach and one on the Kent side. (Well I think there are it's been a while since I've been down there)

I guess that if coastal towns had been wiped off the map the Beeb would have reported it - even if they were Essex towns
              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                I guess that if coastal towns had been wiped off the map the Beeb would have reported it - even if they were Essex towns
                Would any one notice? It is Essex after all?
                "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

Comment

Would any one notice? It is Essex after all?
                  The car sat-nav folks would have to be notified I suppose.

Comment

If it's the Richard Montgomery the clips about then it's not been blown up because one of Europe's largest lpg terminals is within the burst radius. If that goes then it would be like a small nuke.

Basically your screwed what ever you do. It's the only case I can think of where doing nothing really is the best option.
                    I would appreciate a little more detail as to where off the Essex coast. lcm1
                    'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
                      I would appreciate a little more detail as to where off the Essex coast. lcm1
                      Off the Isle of Sheppy. One and a half miles from Sheerness. Five miles from Southend. If you look on Wikipedia there article has a map.

Comment

Off the Isle of Sheppy. One and a half miles from Sheerness. Five miles from Southend. If you look on Wikipedia there article has a map.
                        Thanks all the same DP but I am very familiar with the south of England I know near enough. lcm1
                        'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X