Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Nasty" Newsreel With Lord Haw Haw (1939)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Nasty" Newsreel With Lord Haw Haw (1939)

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

British Pathé News ...

... satirical parodies known as "Nasti" News From Lord Haw Haw, starring English actor Geoffrey Sumner in the title role.

There are 8 (1940) episodes at:

http://www.britishpathe.com/search/q...m+Lord+Haw+Haw

Not exactly Carry On or Monty Python, but very British nevertheless!
    Last edited by Marmat; 03 Mar 16, 13:39.
    "I am Groot"
    - Groot

Comment

Originally posted by Marmat View Post

Not exactly Carry On or Monty Python, but very British nevertheless!
      Ace fighter pilot (Tony Hancock) "where's that stiff upper lip?"
      A/C plonk (Kenneth Williams) " Above this loose flabby lower one"
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
        Can I give you a full repeat of his introduction call before reading his 'News'. As follows.This is not the comedy, The real............."Gairmany calling, Gairmany calling. On the Reichstaag Hambourg line,DJA and AXB on the 45 meter band, here is our news in English." And he gave us all a damned good laugh every night!! lcm1
        Last edited by lcm1; 04 Mar 16, 02:42.
        'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
        " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

lcm1 - And after the broadcast, perhaps a trot down to the local bug house for a viewing of the 'Lambeth Walk'?

Comment

Originally posted by Wooden Wonder View Post
            lcm1 - And after the broadcast, perhaps a trot down to the local bug house for a viewing of the 'Lambeth Walk'?
            Not quite but I tell you what, I have danced and sung 'The Lambeth walk' with quite a famous Music Hall Lady of those times, called ' Two Ton Tessie O'Shea.' One of these days if there is anyone interested, i will tell how that came about, it is to do with D Day in a way. lcm1
            'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
              Not quite but I tell you what, I have danced and sung 'The Lambeth walk' with quite a famous Music Hall Lady of those times, called ' Two Ton Tessie O'Shea.' One of these days if there is anyone interested, i will tell how that came about, it is to do with D Day in a way. lcm1
              Well count me interested!

Comment

Originally posted by joea View Post
                Well count me interested!
                Well, you are a majority forum of 1,so stand by and have a few words in your shell like ear, we and the ships that were going to take us to Normandy were packed into Southampton docks and all the surrounding waters. The 'Powers that be' had postponed the invasion for 24 hours and they found they had a new problem,Thousands of bored troops packed onto the ships. So they rounded up all the entertainers they could find and told them pointing out at the ships," Entertain"! Our dollop of entertainment came on the Monday afternoon and everyone was sitting around the decks etc: leaving a circle in the middle. We the mob I was with were near the front and Tessie came on run through a few jokes and songs then said ,"Well to round off I am going to sing 'The Lambeth Walk' and i want someone to help me, now who will it be? And she walked around the circle with her finger pointing and stopped dead at me! I felt like disappearing through the deck but all my good friends pushed me to my feet so I slunk out to the middle of the circle, but when the pianist started i thought oh, Hell, and got stuck into it,arm in arm with her " Doing the Lambeth Walk Oi". Then she said "Your to young to be married, got a Mum?" I said yes and she gave me a writing pad and envelopes and said, "Write to her, every day". ..............And that is my story of 'Two Ton Tessie O'shea.'
                'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Look out Ken!

Here she comes again!

"I am Groot"
                  - Groot

Comment

I still remember the story (please let it be true), that during Haw-Haw's arrest, there was an, "Accidental," pistol discharge, and the bullet went through both cheeks.

He had to stand trial because he couldn't sit down.

Despite being a foreigner, he'd managed to obtain a British passport - and thus could be tried by the Crown, with predictable (and unlamented) results.
                    Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Originally posted by Marmat View Post
                      Here she comes again!

That's the Gal I was telling you about!! lcm1
                      'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

lcm1. Great story. I hope you have some idea of the respect you have achieved on this site.
                        Hal
                        My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

I don't give up on finding images of this episode Lcm1
                          That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Originally posted by the ace View Post
                            I still remember the story (please let it be true), that during Haw-Haw's arrest, there was an, "Accidental," pistol discharge, and the bullet went through both cheeks.

He had to stand trial because he couldn't sit down.

Despite being a foreigner, he'd managed to obtain a British passport - and thus could be tried by the Crown, with predictable (and unlamented) results.
                            The legality of his trial has been questioned on numerous occasions but of course this is now purely academic. He had spent most of his life from early childhood living in Britain. he had used false papers in his passport application. An effective brief might have been able to make a reasonable legal case about this but his did not so his goose was cooked from the outset.
                            An account of his arrest and trial was broadcast recently. It appears that when recognised by two British army officers he went for a pistol and one of the officers shot him with his service revolver occasioning the injury described.
                            It seems that he didn't believe that he would be hanged and was expecting a reprieve up to nearly the last moment.
                            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                              The legality of his trial has been questioned on numerous occasions but of course this is now purely academic. He had spent most of his life from early childhood living in Britain. he had used false papers in his passport application. An effective brief might have been able to make a reasonable legal case about this but his did not so his goose was cooked from the outset.
                              An account of his arrest and trial was broadcast recently. It appears that when recognised by two British army officers he went for a pistol and one of the officers shot him with his service revolver occasioning the injury described.
                              It seems that he didn't believe that he would be hanged and was expecting a reprieve up to nearly the last moment.
                              Well it seemed to me,that the general public did not seriously dislike him, he had made them laugh to often through the dark days. lcm1
                              'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X