No announcement yet.

Colonel David Glantz Awarded A Russian Medal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantastic, well deserved. Thanks for sharing.

I hope Andrey, who posted this on the Seelow Heights thread:

"It looks like Western historians aren't ready to accept the info that is in Russian archives.

The good example is the story of Operation Mars. David Glantz wrote book about it where he called it a huge military disaster of Red Army.",

will see this thread.
    Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Congratulations to Col. Glantz and the Russian government for recognizing his achievement. +1

Susie
      Will no one tell me what she sings?--
      Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
      For old, unhappy, far-off things,
      And battles long ago:
      -William Wordsworth, "The Solitary Reaper"

Comment

Thanks for posting. Congratulations to both the Russian Ministry of Defense and Col. Glantz

Comment

Excellent, I only wish more Russian historians were known here as well.

Comment

I don't know what the standards for awarding this are, but it is probably deserved.
            Michele

Comment

COL Glantz most certainly deserves whatever recognition he receives for his work, both published and uncirculated. I emailed him directly in 2008 when I was in Afghanistan as part of an embedded training team. I asked him for help in understanding the Soviet doctrine that was taught to the Afghan army in the 80's in order to understand the culture of senior Afghan army leadership in the 21st century. Former junior officers of the Soviet backed army were now senior officers in the NATO "trained" army but did things "the old way" which none of us could understand. COL Glantz helped myself and a few others bridge the philosophical gap between us and our Afghan counterparts with just a few suggestions that helped us relate. His contributions go beyond digging in Russian archives... If the Afghan army ever stands on its own, he may have played a role (however small, he still had a part to play).
              "Amateurs study tactics; professionals study logistics"
              -Omar Bradley
              "Not everyone who studies logistics is a professional logistician, and there is no way to understand when you don't know what you don't know."
              -Anonymous US Army logistician

Comment

. . . and a VMI grad.
                hmmm . . . I wonder what THIS button does . . . uh oh

Comment

While I do not agree with everything Col. glantz has to say, I do acknowledge his deep seated need to unlock the "mystery wrapped in an enigma" version of WW2 and other soviet history.
                  It's about time somebody did. The russian achievement in a strict military sense was a significant one in almost every respect. The most practiced Army in Europe defeated by a people they considered not even human. And something that most historians miss, is that if the Red Army had a severly protracted and complex training program, they would never have been able to recover from the severe beating they took in 1941.

The Eatsern Front is one of those rare wars where the loser got to wirte the post-war history about the conflict itself.

People like David glantz are attempting to redress that imbalance, and give the russians back the ability to tell their own story, from their own sources, untainted by the Goebbels Machine.

Yes, they will put a healthy dose of their own view into it, but as I say, its supposed to be the winners of a conflict that get to write the history. The Great Patriotic war has been seen from a Fascist perpsective for far too long.
                  My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
                  GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
                  Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

Originally posted by Drusus Nero View Post
                    While I do not agree with everything Col. glantz has to say, I do acknowledge his deep seated need to unlock the "mystery wrapped in an enigma" version of WW2 and other soviet history.
                    It's about time somebody did. The russian achievement in a strict military sense was a significant one in almost every respect. The most practiced Army in Europe defeated by a people they considered not even human. And something that most historians miss, is that if the Red Army had a severly protracted and complex training program, they would never have been able to recover from the severe beating they took in 1941.

The Eatsern Front is one of those rare wars where the loser got to wirte the post-war history about the conflict itself.

People like David glantz are attempting to redress that imbalance, and give the russians back the ability to tell their own story, from their own sources, untainted by the Goebbels Machine.

Yes, they will put a healthy dose of their own view into it, but as I say, its supposed to be the winners of a conflict that get to write the history. The Great Patriotic war has been seen from a Fascist perpsective for far too long.
                    Of course, the problem for Glantz and any other student of the Red Army in World War II has been the lack of Soviet archival material. Glantz spent many painstaking years of research in the highly censored open literature looking for cracks in the material, secured some archival in their war experiences, crossed walk narratives with German accounts and situation maps (he ended up creating his own body of operational maps for the battles and operations on a day by day basis), and interviewed veterans on both sides of the eastern front.

He deserves greater recognition.
                    Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X