Spitfires... again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spitfires... again!

You can never get too much of Spitfires...

81668519CHQPqa_fs.jpg

The long toll of the brave
    Is not lost in darkness
    Over the fruitful earth
    And athwart the seas
    Hath passed the light of noble deeds
    Unquenchable forever.

great print but really surprised that you, of all people, posted something about the Spitfires.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

You really can't.

It's a shame there aren't many films of the real thing out there, the Spit was an awesome machine!
      Divine Mercy Sunday: 4/21/2020 (https://www.thedivinemercy.org/message) The Miracle of Lanciano: Jesus' Real Presence (https://web.archive.org/web/20060831...fcontents.html)

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
        great print but really surprised that you, of all people, posted something about the Spitfires.
        Well, I've only just found out about 'em... and got all exicited, like!
        Is not lost in darkness
        Over the fruitful earth
        And athwart the seas
        Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Your'e a funny man Von!

God knows, ANY criticism of the Said Wonderbirds will be instantly pounced on by irate British posters.

I could suggest that the Spitfire had an "uncomfortable seat" and get buried with a ton people telling me how extremely comfortable and war winning Spitfire seats were, how important it's seats were to seat desgn, and how efficiently they operated compared to other, non-British seats, even though they were not mass produced, qith quality rather than quantity as the main issue, and Oh! didn't we get swamped by inferior Yank seats when they came over here, "unseating" us from our rightful role as the senior partner in the Western allied seating effort....

Yes, the Spitfire had wonderful comfortable, war winning seats alright.
          My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
          GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
          Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

Originally posted by Drusus Nero View Post
            Yes, the Spitfire had wonderful comfortable, war winning seats alright.
            Seat DN, it's seat, the Spitfire only had one, unless it had two...

Is not lost in darkness
            Over the fruitful earth
            And athwart the seas
            Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Don't knock seat comfort as an important factor. Years ago heard a talk by one of the last surviving Camel pilots who mentioned that the critical factor in the length of a Camel patrol was not fuel but the pain in the pilot's bum. The Camel seat was very small and very hard and the point would come when the pilot could no longer stand it and had to head for home. Biggles never mentions that!
              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

See? Was I wrong in my assumptions?

I'll bet Rolls Royce had an entire Seat Division, with a testing room, and volunteers from operational units, and a special wartime supply of horsehair stuffing for the continuance of this valuable and vital research.

Is there ANYTHING on a spitfire that WASN'T World class?

Did the windscreens fog up at altitude?
                Did the taiwheel collapse only after a few landings?

Tell us something, ANYTHING that wasn't the perfect example of British engineering PLEASE...someone...Mark, for Lord's Sake, you must know of a chink in the Fabled Armour, as a Member of the Royal Rolls Family and all, surely over Brandy late at night, the terrible scerets of spifire faults were divulged to family members?

I am not being sarcastic, either.

SURELY there was something to complain about....

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
                Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

Biggles never mentions working away with a pen knife to roll a genrous joint either, as testified to in "Biggles and The Naughty Things"...

I'll bet the twin engined Jupiter had comfortable, superior British seats as well...and a Tea maker kettle.

Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

Originally posted by Drusus Nero View Post
                    See? Was I wrong in my assumptions?

I'll bet Rolls Royce had an entire Seat Division, with a testing room, and volunteers from operational units, and a special wartime supply of horsehair stuffing for the continuance of this valuable and vital research.

Is there ANYTHING on a spitfire that WASN'T World class?

Did the windscreens fog up at altitude?
                    Did the taiwheel collapse only after a few landings?

Tell us something, ANYTHING that wasn't the perfect example of British engineering PLEASE...someone...Mark, for Lord's Sake, you must know of a chink in the Fabled Armour, as a Member of the Royal Rolls Family and all, surely over Brandy late at night, the terrible scerets of spifire faults were divulged to family members?

I am not being sarcastic, either.

SURELY there was something to complain about....
                    • lack of fuel injection on early models of the Merlin so that the engine cut if one pulled negative G which is why you see shots of spits rolling on their backs to dive
                    • lack of a clear indicator that the under cart was up or down on early models which caused many pilots transitioning from Gladiators or Furies to do wheels up landings

BTW in both Spitfire and Hurricane the pilot was sitting on his parachute pack which fitted in to the bottom of the seat.
                    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                      BTW in both Spitfire and Hurricane the pilot was sitting on his parachute pack which fitted in to the bottom of the seat.
                      Making them the two most comfortable aircraft in the history of air warfare.
                      Is not lost in darkness
                      Over the fruitful earth
                      And athwart the seas
                      Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Biggles never mentions that!
                        He doesn't mention that said seat was bolted to the petrol tank, and that there was a castor oil tank on the end of his nose, wafting it's fumes all over him. The reason the Camel pilots were uncomfortable was, every time they farted they followed through and shat themselves!

Is not lost in darkness
                        Over the fruitful earth
                        And athwart the seas
                        Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
                          He doesn't mention that said seat was bolted to the petrol tank, and that there was a castor oil tank on the end of his nose, wafting it's fumes all over him. The reason the Camel pilots were uncomfortable was, every time they farted they followed through and shat themselves!

You appear to have a very doubtful knowledge of the structure of a Sopwith Camel

Comment

it's less about the machine than it is about the man behind the controls. A Spitfire flown by a noob was more often than not bait for the FW and ME.

The early models of Spitfire lacked fuel injectors, IIRC. The Me-109's had that advantage. The engine of the Spitfire was also vulnerable to ground fire, which limited it's effectiveness as a ground attack aircraft.

You appear to have a very doubtful knowledge of the structure of a Sopwith Camel
                            No, that part is correct. Castor oil was used as the lubricant for the Camel's engine and pilots more often than not experienced explosive diarrhea upon landing.
                            Last edited by ChazB; 30 Jan 16, 17:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                              Now if he would just post something about Lancasters...

Susie
                              Will no one tell me what she sings?--
                              Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
                              For old, unhappy, far-off things,
                              And battles long ago:
                              -William Wordsworth, "The Solitary Reaper"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Berlin.1945
                                by casanova
                                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                Yesterday, 23:41
                              • casanova
                                AW 169M
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                Yesterday, 23:26
                              • JBark
                                What changed?
                                by JBark
                                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                Yesterday, 18:54
                              Working...
                              X