• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weapons from WWII embeded into trees in Nevsky Pyatachok – Russia

Crazy

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2015/...tachok-russia/
    My worst jump story:
    My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
    As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
    No lie.

~
    "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
    -2 Commando Jumpmaster

That is insane...

Comment

Actually, the pictures were most likely taken from Sinyavino area about at least 5 km away from the Nevsky Bridgehead - simply because there wasn't a single tree left standing there after the war. And the Bridgehead itself was not a "staging area for a German attack" but a 0.5 square mile-sized bridgehead seized by the Red Army on the left bank of the Neva river.
      www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

Originally posted by ShAA View Post
        Actually, the pictures were most likely...
        Fake
        The long toll of the brave
        Is not lost in darkness
        Over the fruitful earth
        And athwart the seas
        Hath passed the light of noble deeds
        Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post

Fake
          You think the trees are fake?
          My worst jump story:
          My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
          As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
          No lie.

~
          "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
          -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Fake
            No, the pics are most likely real. I've spoken to several people who had dachas in the area and they told me about trees grown through skulls and helmets in the local bogs. In the Road of Life museum there's a picture of a piece of an Il-2 wing stuck in a tree trunk - it didn't chop the tree down and the tree kept growing for decades with a piece of a plane inside.
            www.histours.ru

Comment

No, the pics are most likely real.
              You reckon, wonder if there are any of these wondrous sights to be seen in, say, the Hürtgen Forest?
              The long toll of the brave
              Is not lost in darkness
              Over the fruitful earth
              And athwart the seas
              Hath passed the light of noble deeds
              Unquenchable forever.

Comment

You reckon, wonder if there are any of these wondrous sights to be seen in, say, the Hürtgen Forest?
                Hmm, no idea, haven't been there.
                www.histours.ru

Comment

In the Hurtgen, the Americans and the Germans had the luxury of being able to evacuate wounded. The fighting was also on a smaller scale.

Comment

I can understand the rifles, shells and other items since the trees in our backyard are flowing around the city's chain-link fence posts. But the helmets are more problematical. 1st their heavy so if they were dropped over a sapling they should have crushed them, 2nd if they did fall over a tree small enough not to be crushed, their shade should have prevented growth by blocking photoynthesis. Maybe each of these has a bullet hole directly in the top of it to allow the tree to grow through and be perfectly balanced at the same time? I don't know.

Comment

No, the pics are most likely real. I've spoken to several people who had dachas in the area and they told me about trees grown through skulls and helmets in the local bogs. In the Road of Life museum there's a picture of a piece of an Il-2 wing stuck in a tree trunk - it didn't chop the tree down and the tree kept growing for decades with a piece of a plane inside.
                      Yeah, there is copious examples of trees growing up and around metal objects. The helmets hind of surprise me, mainly because I figured they would have rusted away to nothing by now.
                      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                        Yeah, there is copious examples of trees growing up and around metal objects. The helmets hind of surprise me, mainly because I figured they would have rusted away to nothing by now.
                        Quality/thickness of metal and average temperature during the rusting process.

Comment

Here is a piece of an Il-2 "grafted" into a tree trunk. I took this picture yesterday in the Road of Life museum.

www.histours.ru

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X