• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mein Kampf hits stores in tense Germany

Mein Kampf hits stores in tense Germany
    By Damien McGuinness
    BBC News Berlin correspondent

"It's one of the most talked about publications of the year. It's not a new book. And it's not even a well-written book. But Mein Kampf, by Adolf Hitler, which hits German bookshops for the first time in 70 years on Friday, is certainly attracting attention.

Hitler's anti-Semitic tirade is seen as the forerunner to the Holocaust. But that is also why historians want it republished.

Hitler wrote it mostly while in prison in the mid-1920s, and academics say it helps explain the Nazis' crazed ideology when they came to power less than a decade later.

As such, they say, it's a crucial academic text. Not pleasant reading, but essential to understanding the Holocaust and Hitler's brutal rule.

Surprisingly, some Jewish groups have also supported this edition. This is an annotated, critical version, with thousands of academic notes. And without this republication, the only hard copies available in Germany would be the pre-1945 Nazi editions, still found in second-hand bookshops or online. Those are certainly not critical.

The idea is that republishing Mein Kampf will help undermine it."

Read the whole article at:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35242523
    "I am Groot"
    - Groot

Maybe the Refugees will buy copies?

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

I've read Mein Kampf. Its crap on several levels. I certainly won't be buying it, but it should be available so that people can understand the lunacy of the man.
      How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
      Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Good,perhaps now we'll get the swastika back in our decal sets when we buy a kit of a German aircraft!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
          I've read Mein Kampf. Its crap on several levels. I certainly won't be buying it, but it should be available so that people can understand the lunacy of the man.
          Note it was not banned under the relevant laws; it was just that the copyright holder (Bavaria) did not publish it. But now it's in the public domain after 70 years.
          The laws will be applied, but not to ban it; it's under those laws that only the critical, annotated edition will be circulated.

I don't like very much Dussmann's stance. It's the library I go to when I'm in Berlin (and I'd recommend it to English readers too, because of its significant foreign languages section), but in the article they are reported as stating that they will only make the book available on order. That's like telling the readers: "your name will be on a list for buying this".
          Michele

Comment

It was always one of the nonsenses of Wahhabism that you could buy Mein Kampf in English (and in Arabic for all I know) in the main bookshop in Jeddah but the Bible was banned.
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

That's because the bible doesn't teach you how to kill Jews....well except that one time and even that doesn't stick.
              "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                It was always one of the nonsenses of Wahhabism that you could buy Mein Kampf in English (and in Arabic for all I know) in the main bookshop in Jeddah but the Bible was banned.
                MK is on a par with Wahhabism. Or the entire death cult, for that matter.

The difference is that the followers of islam are helpless when facing Jews.
                Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

I heard that Donald Trump keeps a copy on his nightstand.
                  John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Comment

Originally posted by JBark View Post
                    I heard that Donald Trump keeps a copy on his nightstand.
                    Obama has it memorized.
                    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                      MK is on a par with Wahhabism. Or the entire death cult, for that matter.

The difference is that the followers of islam are helpless when facing Jews.
                      I could rep you for the nest ten years and still not do justice to that post....

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                        I could rep you for the nest ten years and still not do justice to that post....

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post
                          Note it was not banned under the relevant laws; it was just that the copyright holder (Bavaria) did not publish it. But now it's in the public domain after 70 years.
                          The laws will be applied, but not to ban it; it's under those laws that only the critical, annotated edition will be circulated.

I don't like very much Dussmann's stance. It's the library I go to when I'm in Berlin (and I'd recommend it to English readers too, because of its significant foreign languages section), but in the article they are reported as stating that they will only make the book available on order. That's like telling the readers: "your name will be on a list for buying this".
                          I read it with the direct translation. It had sentences that did not make sense. It even had incomplete sentences.

Mein Kampf is Hitler's random thoughts written down. It's more a question of id and ego over superego (assuming S Freud is correct).
                          How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

A revised edition is a little to late for what Germany is facing. No fear there.
                            My worst jump story:
                            My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                            As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                            No lie.

~
                            "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                              I read it with the direct translation. It had sentences that did not make sense. It even had incomplete sentences.

Mein Kampf is Hitler's random thoughts written down. It's more a question of id and ego over superego (assuming S Freud is correct).
                              A broad assumption these days. Even Clement appears more credible than Sigmund (certainly more amusing). Sigmund's great achievement was to start the process of analysing mental processes down a more scientific and organised path but many of his specific findings are coming under considerable scepticism these days ( his daughter's even more so).
                              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X