Luxury Resort? Who'd a thunk it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luxury Resort? Who'd a thunk it!

WW2 forts built to protect Kent coast from Nazi attack to be turned into a luxury resort, complete with executive apartments, a helipad and a spa at sea

- Red Sands sea forts could be turned into futuristic looking luxury hotel in the Thames Estuary
    - Originally built to protect Britain from Nazi invasion in Second World War, the forts were decommissioned in 1956
    - Plans involve a luxury resort with spa, helipad and executive apartments for VIPs

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...d-spa-sea.html

Read more:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...ry-resort.html

Recent update:
    http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/...ail/story.html

Not the first such "Fort Luxury" project off the coast of the UK, consider Spitbank Fort off Portsmouth; there are others available for "conversion" as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spitbank_Fort
    "I am Groot"
    - Groot

Doesn't look like it'd be all that much fun staying out in these things, even after they've been updated and improved. Like staying on an oil rig.

I've never seen these things before...are they in the original positions and orientations? Seems like a cluster of installations that point in several directions, that don't really look like much of a defensive arrangement. Or were they towed here after the war and just left in their current spot?

Comment

They do look like Martian fighting machines (with an extra leg) striding out to confront HMS Thunderchild. Perhaps it could be a Steampunk themed hotel.
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Looks like an excellent base from which to survive the zombie apocalypse!
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
          Looks like an excellent base from which to survive the zombie apocalypse!
          Alternatively according to the movie version Triffids can't stand salt water - safe from zombies and triffids hows that for an offer?
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve573 View Post
            Doesn't look like it'd be all that much fun staying out in these things, even after they've been updated and improved. Like staying on an oil rig.

I've never seen these things before...are they in the original positions and orientations? Seems like a cluster of installations that point in several directions, that don't really look like much of a defensive arrangement. Or were they towed here after the war and just left in their current spot?
            They're in the Thames Estuary favouring the Southern side, I've sailed past them oodles of times.
            The Thames Estuary represented a huge weakspot pointing c East-West straight at London.Low level Luftwaffe bombers could fly unobserved and unmolested by ground defences straight up it and be "funnelled" into London at the Western end.

A navigators dream,keep yourself equidistant from North and South shores,head West and voila,London docks.

These were AA forts,they were originally fitted with a 3.7" AA gun on each outer tower roof and the gun director on the central tower roof.

After the war I think some crazy moved in there and declared himself a country or some such,some early Dr Who "Sea Devil" episodes were also filmed there.

I'm typing this from memory so if I've made a mistake Yah boo sucks to you!

Comment

How long can those things last in all that salt water? I would think after 50+ years they wouldn't be in the best of shape, but then I'm no structural engineer.

Comment

Originally posted by phil74501 View Post
                How long can those things last in all that salt water? I would think after 50+ years they wouldn't be in the best of shape, but then I'm no structural engineer.
                No,you're dead right,they're in sh*t state.

Comment

The first one that make a sensible statement. I would say that after 80 years it would be in need of a full inspection.
                  The repetition of affirmations leads to belief. Once that belief becomes a deep conviction, you better wake up and look at the facts.

Comment

Hang on, isn't one of these (or one much like it) the Principality of Sealand?

http://www.sealandgov.org/
                    ------
                    'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Selous View Post
                      Hang on, isn't one of these (or one much like it) the Principality of Sealand?

http://www.sealandgov.org/
                      That's the name!!!!

Comment

With everything having to be choppered in, price range of the rooms would begin with a 6 by 6 feet box at aroud 1,500 pounds sterling a night.

Featuring wonderful views of the flat horizon, obscured visability down to the other tripods of the hotel on two days out of three for eight months of the year, activities would include staring at each other over dinner, breakfast and lunch, looking at one another in the guest lounge, sneaking peaks at fellow guests in the cinema, and exchanging room numbers with the captive audience at the 365 day a year nightclub.

Employees would have to have a seperat tripod, otherwise theyd be choppered in every day. In fact, for most guests, the helicopter ride may well be the highlight of their stay.

On the plus side, one could have a WW2 re-enactment full scale skeet shoot with real Bofors 40mm guns.

Sounds like a place to send your daughter for the super-rich, guanteeing absolutely that she won't go anywhere else.

Alternatives to a hotel?
                        A prison.
                        A real time 'climate change' observation hotel/guest house. People could watch the sea levels rise incrementally by closed circuit video. fascinating stuff for any climate change buff.
                        -A combination retiremnet village and burial facility for people with no mobility.
                        A secure maximum security mental hospital. Escape impossible.
                        A facility to cram in every lawyer in the country. They can then work 'ofshore' with no legal hassles about any subject you might care to name. After, we can get rid of them easily as well.
                        Target facility for the Royal air force
                        The next "Big Brother" building, with trap doors to the sea for those Brothers and sisters found wanting by the rest of the country voting them off.

Myriad of uses.

It must have been the biggest white elephant of the war.
                        My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
                        GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
                        Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

Off the coast of Wilmington NC we have the Frying Pan Shoals Tower formerly U.S. Coastguard Frying Pan Light Station. GPS and radar made the Tower obsolete so the Coast Guard abandoned the station in 2004. Due to the fact that the area under the Frying Pan Shoals is protected it can't be torn down so a man bought it in 2010 and is working to make it into a B&B.

Live Cameras

http://www.wect.com/category/289906/...-tower-cameras

Comment

Originally posted by Drusus Nero View Post
                            With everything having to be choppered in, price range of the rooms would begin with a 6 by 6 feet box at aroud 1,500 pounds sterling a night.

Featuring wonderful views of the flat horizon, obscured visability down to the other tripods of the hotel on two days out of three for eight months of the year, activities would include staring at each other over dinner, breakfast and lunch, looking at one another in the guest lounge, sneaking peaks at fellow guests in the cinema, and exchanging room numbers with the captive audience at the 365 day a year nightclub.

Employees would have to have a seperat tripod, otherwise theyd be choppered in every day. In fact, for most guests, the helicopter ride may well be the highlight of their stay.

On the plus side, one could have a WW2 re-enactment full scale skeet shoot with real Bofors 40mm guns.

Sounds like a place to send your daughter for the super-rich, guanteeing absolutely that she won't go anywhere else.

Alternatives to a hotel?
                            A prison.
                            A real time 'climate change' observation hotel/guest house. People could watch the sea levels rise incrementally by closed circuit video. fascinating stuff for any climate change buff.
                            -A combination retiremnet village and burial facility for people with no mobility.
                            A secure maximum security mental hospital. Escape impossible.
                            A facility to cram in every lawyer in the country. They can then work 'ofshore' with no legal hassles about any subject you might care to name. After, we can get rid of them easily as well.
                            Target facility for the Royal air force
                            The next "Big Brother" building, with trap doors to the sea for those Brothers and sisters found wanting by the rest of the country voting them off.

Myriad of uses.

It must have been the biggest white elephant of the war.
                            I believe it actually shot down a JU 88 at some point.

Comment

They're in pretty rough shape today. The walkways between the forts have pretty much all collapsed. Some no longer sit level. Rust and corrosion is at an advanced state on most, and I'd suspect the concrete foundations are probably in poor shape too.
                              It isn't as if they were made to last when originally built...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X