WWII deaths in comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWII deaths in comparison

Not sure where to put this so I am sticking it here. I found this fascinating.
    http://m.omeleto.com/219202/
    "A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant

Here is a comparison to other wars.

https://www.quora.com/What-was-the-m...rld-population
    We hunt the hunters

Comment

To clarify the op, the link compares WWII civilians and military deaths between countries then at the end with other wars and atrocities.
      "A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

Thanks for the link. Interesting approach taken by the author. Some of the "events" he cites, like the fall of rome or the middle eastern slave trade, lasted over several centuries. Many of the figures he cites from from early times are highly controversial. For example, here is an interesting take on his figures for the An Lushan revolt.

Comment

Pinker is not a great scholar in my opinion. His books are so full of errors they are hard to read but I tend to agree with the big picture he paints. More importantly as a liberal he is at odds with the traditional liberal views on history and sociology. I linked to pinker because it is an easy to read table not because it was terrible accurate. It is also gives the modern equivalent comparison which I believe is critical.

If you want a "real" historian with similar views to Pinker's here is a video of Ian Morris talking about his book "War! What Is It Good For?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebRpquKFSEw
          Last edited by wolfhnd; 30 Dec 15, 03:08.
          We hunt the hunters

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
            Berlin.1945
            by casanova
            The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
            Yesterday, 23:41
          • casanova
            AW 169M
            by casanova
            The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
            Yesterday, 23:26
          • JBark
            What changed?
            by JBark
            There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
            Yesterday, 18:54
          Working...
          X