The Great Papago Escape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great Papago Escape

Lesser known than Colditz, German POW's in Arizona escaped from Camp Papago on December 23, 1944. 25 men made it out of the camp. All were recaptured within a couple of weeks once they realized they couldn't flee to Mexico and had no realistic means of escaping to friendly territory.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/trave...tory/77174834/

"Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

One of the funnier things they did, was build a couple of kayaks to aid in their crossing the Gila River. They thought they could ride the river to Mexico...

When those planning that route of escape arrived at the Gila River they found it was...

But, it was blue on the gas station map....

Comment

Wow,that's a good bit of water for the Gila! I wonder why those krauts thought they would be free in Mexico, Mexico was a belligerent by 44.

Comment

Originally posted by McMax View Post
          Wow,that's a good bit of water for the Gila! I wonder why those krauts thought they would be free in Mexico, Mexico was a belligerent by 44.
          Yes but I think initially they declared war on Japan but not on Germany
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
            Yes but I think initially they declared war on Japan but not on Germany
            They declared war against all major Axis powers on the same date.

Declaration of War by Mexico on Germany, Italy, and Japan 1942

Potted history of Mexico and WW2 from Mexican viewpoint here: Mexico - forgotten World War II ally

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
              Prawn heads
              by Karri
              How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
              Yesterday, 11:40
            • Jose50
              Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
              by Jose50
              Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
              Yesterday, 08:41
            • Von Richter
              Sagittarius Rising...
              by Von Richter
              Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
              Yesterday, 01:19
            Working...
            X