Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with WWII hat found in Grandfathers belongings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with WWII hat found in Grandfathers belongings.

image.jpeg

image.jpgimage.jpegFirst time poster! I found this hat stuffed in the same envelope as my Grandfathers Honorable Discharge papers. My Grandfather served in the 30th Infantry Company E from 1942-45. i was given all his medals and paperwork after he passed. This hat came up and I have no clue as to what it was for or if it was issued etc. any info that someone may have would be great. My son and I have researched it and can't come up with much. Thanks in advance for any input!

It's difficult to see what the cap really looks like. (I'm guessing it's similar to an overseas cap.) Photographing something like this works out better if you can have someone wear it while sitting down so you can get shots from different angles as it is worn. If you don't want to appear in a photo, make a head shape with newspaper and masking tape on the end of a broom handle and use that.

It doesn't look like any standard uniform cap worn by US military.

The black ribbons would typically be used at funerals or memorial services.

The badge appears to be stamped from thin metal and bent a bit on one side. If that's correct, then it's an inexpensive badge made for some event, probably a post-war event.

The badge's crossed rifles and anchor are not at all what you'd find on a badge specific to an older infantry regiment. (30th Inf was organized in 1901.) It looks nothing at all like the regiment's coat of arms.

So...

I'd say this was a cap and badge handed out to WWII veterans for an event that occurred soon after the end of WWII. My guess would be an event on Memorial Day in 1946. Either a parade or an assembly where all the veterans (WWII or earlier) were given these caps to wear. Your grandfather saved his along with other WWII mementos.

My second guess would be for a later event dedicating a new memorial in the town/city where he lived, or dedicating a WWII honor roll on an existing war memorial. This could have been in 1947 or '48.

Hope that helps.

for your grandfather.

Comment

I suspect it isn't US in origin, most likely being British or Commonwealth instead.

Comment

The badge is a Fouled Anchor with crossed rifles. Probably a veterans cap. British Commonwealth would have a crown above the anchor.

Paul
        ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
        All human ills he can subdue,
        Or with a bauble or medal
        Can win mans heart for you;
        And many a blessing know to stew
        To make a megloamaniac bright;
        Give honour to the dainty Corse,
        The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

In the 1930s the Boys Brigade had a badge with crossed rifles on an anchor and they wore a hat rather like that except usually black with white piping however I have a feeling that their drummers wore whites sometimes

The only thing awry with this is that their badges usually had a BB on them somewhere.

Today the rifles have been replaced by a Greek or Balkan style cross
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

@NoPref thank you for that response. I'll try and do a better job on a picture tonight. I didn't even think of the fact it could have been for s memorial or funeral. Makes sense with the black ribbon!image.jpeg
            On another forum it was mentioned to be a Italian Naval Infantry Badge on hat? Thank you all for the responses!!! Great information here!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kel View Post
              On another forum it was mentioned to be a Italian Naval Infantry Badge on hat?
              Close, but no cigar.

Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
              Hyperwar, Whats New
              World War II Resources
              The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

image.jpeg

image.jpg

Here are some pictures with the hat on.. My son tried it on, after I see it on him I realized how small this hat is. Which I'm not sure on the proper way these were worn or are worn. Also looked on the back no markings on the back of insignia. Again thank you all for the input. Leaning with the majority on a memorial hat or some type of event.

Comment

Naval Infantry badge, probablly. Recommend checking French, Belgian, Dutch, & others for a similar badge.

Comment

The hat is very much like that worn by the Spanish Marine Corps Expeditionary Battalion in 1937 They served in Galicia on the Atlantic Coast in the SCW and their arm of service badge is described as crossed riffles on an anchor but I've seen no photo
                    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Based on the hat design I think it is Serbian or Yugoslavian. The insignia is for Naval Infantry.
                      My worst jump story:
                      My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                      As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                      No lie.

~
                      "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                      -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                        Based on the hat design I think it is Serbian or Yugoslavian. The insignia is for Naval Infantry.
                        Yes, it is not unusual for Marines to have infantry, the RM had light infantry for years. You are on the right track there I think.
                        'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                        " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                          Yugoslav, unless it's leftover WWI Serbian.

The style of the cap certainly looks Yugoslav, but not quite. Still, closer to that than anything else I found in Google image search.

Comment

The 30th Division was in France, Belgium, and Germany during WW2 and toward the end contacted Soviet troops in Germany. I remember when I was in the military if we met troops of another country we'd exchange patches, hats, pins etc so maybe he got it from a friendly exchange with a European service person. Maybe a woman? Almost looks like the type of hat women would wear in the US military.

Comment

Googling the combination: cap badge + anchor + cross rifles + mural crown, leads one to "Army Uniforms Since 1945" ,Blandford Press.

I don't possess a copy.
                              "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                              Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X