Seventy three years to target....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seventy three years to target....

Finally looks like this Hun will make it to London...

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/cosford/...servation.aspx

The long toll of the brave
    Is not lost in darkness
    Over the fruitful earth
    And athwart the seas
    Hath passed the light of noble deeds
    Unquenchable forever.

They might as well have posted it Second Class.
    Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Considering the location and no bombs on board It is safe to assume it knows where London is.
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Probably copy some engineering off the bomber.

Comment

Originally posted by firefoxy View Post
          Probably copy some engineering off the bomber.
          WTF??????????????? WHY, it's close to seventy years old and wasn't the best of it's period in the first place.
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

I first visited the RAF Museum several years ago and it's remained one of my favorites. The Do-17 would be a great addition to their collection and would be worth the price of admission on its own.
            If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went when they died-Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
              Considering the location and no bombs on board It is safe to assume it knows where London is.
              It was a fairly common thing with them if things were a bit 'Hot' during the BofB,to dump the bombs,turn for the sea and do a runner (discretion being the better part of valour) so maybe he did not make it to the 'Smoke'. lcm1
              'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
              " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Looks like 'game on'...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22380915

The long toll of the brave
                Is not lost in darkness
                Over the fruitful earth
                And athwart the seas
                Hath passed the light of noble deeds
                Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Incredible that this is the only Do-17 left in the world.
                  Will no one tell me what she sings?--
                  Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
                  For old, unhappy, far-off things,
                  And battles long ago:
                  -William Wordsworth, "The Solitary Reaper"

Comment

I had heard they found this "flying pencil" and were going to try and save it. All well and good, but the recovery and restoration will take much time and resources. I think it will be worth saving if they can get it back to a flyable condition, a static display will be only acceptable, and will fail somewhat.

If they are going to do it, thaen do it right! I want to sdee the thing fly again! Get out the blueprints and get the fabricators on board for the process, I expect at least 2-3 years...
                    ...Its one of our V-8's...Pursuit Special on methane, super hot!

Comment

Part of the problem was there was exactly ONE flyable DO-17 at the end of the war. And since it was very obsolete there was no reason to take one for testing. It was the planes tested after the war that ended up in the IWM, Smithsonian Air & Space and USAF Museum.
                      Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by sherlock View Post
                        I first visited the RAF Museum several years ago and it's remained one of my favorites. The Do-17 would be a great addition to their collection and would be worth the price of admission on its own.
                        Hi

I would just like to point out that entry to the RAF Museum is FREE anyway. You will have to pay to park your car though.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Hetzer 15 View Post
                          I had heard they found this "flying pencil" and were going to try and save it. All well and good, but the recovery and restoration will take much time and resources. I think it will be worth saving if they can get it back to a flyable condition, a static display will be only acceptable, and will fail somewhat.

If they are going to do it, thaen do it right! I want to sdee the thing fly again! Get out the blueprints and get the fabricators on board for the process, I expect at least 2-3 years...
                          Hi

The Do 17 is not going to be restored but preserved 'as found' as the Halifax in the RAF Museum has been after coming out of a Norwegian lake.
                          If you want it to fly after being in sea water for 70 years you will have to replace all the materials of the entire aircraft ie. a 'new build'.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                            WTF??????????????? WHY, it's close to seventy years old and wasn't the best of it's period in the first place.
                            Not the best perhaps John but still quite a capable killer. lcm1
                            'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                            " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
                              Not the best perhaps John but still quite a capable killer. lcm1
                              Considering it was knocked down by a Defiant, I'll reserve judgement.
                              Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X