Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest date for U.S. Army horse cavalry training.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest date for U.S. Army horse cavalry training.

What would be the latest date that the U.S. Army was still training soldiers as horse cavalry?
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
    Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post
    What would be the latest date that the U.S. Army was still training soldiers as horse cavalry?
    Well since the US 1st Cavalry Division still has a horse cavalry detachment; I'd say 2012. But for the main US Army; I think around 1944-45. Biggest draw down would be in the 1942-43 era.
    Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
      But for the main US Army; I think around 1944-45. Biggest draw down would be in the 1942-43 era.
      I think that's about right.

Most people know this but for those who don't, a soldier on a horse does not a cavalryman make. It's a specific type of unit with a specific type of mission. So mountain warfare horse packing, ceremonial mounted units, mounted infantry, mounted special ops with indigenous personel, etc., are not cavalry.
      "Shoot for the epaulets, boys! Shoot for the epaulets!" - Daniel Morgan

Comment

I'd say 1942 at the latest as combat units go. 1st Cavalry was dismounted and sent to the Pacific as infantry, 2nd cavalry was sent to North Africa and disbanded into service troops.

The cavalry regiments were already fully mechanized at the start of the war.

Comment

The last cavalry charge by a US cavalry regiment took place on January 16th 1942 at Morong in the Philippines and was performed by the 26th Cavalry Regiment.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/26th_Cavalry_Regiment
          The officer who commanded that charge, Lieutenant Edwin Price Ramsey went on to have an interesting war, ending up as a guerilla commander.
          A website honoring him here: http://www.edwinpriceramsey.com/the_battle.asp

Comment

Interesting...
            Horses would be an ideal form of transportation of Guerrillas, even today.
            I wonder if the Special Forces ever talk about that?

Comment

The Special Forces troops in Afghanistan used horses with Afghans.

Pruitt
              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

The U.S. Cavalry School continued to teach mounted courses throughout WWII. No one was sure if there would be a need for a rejuvenated horse cavalry at some point in the war such as in China. The mounted school was closed in March 1947 as the realities of modern mechanized warfare were acknowledged. At least they saw the need to keep the expertise in place for the duration and did not just close up the mounted school and lose the cadre to the four corners of the war as the horse mounted units were converted or disbanded.

Comment

The Cavalry School was at Fort Riley. With all the Defense cuts by Truman after WW II, I am surprised the Cavalry School Lasted until 1947! I believe they had kept some Cavalry in the Washington, DC area for parades and such. The only active Cavalry in late WW II was Black.

Pruitt

Comment

The USMC was still teaching it officers "Packs & Equitation" at the Basic School circa 1951. General Trainor described that training in his autobiography. Another officer who went through that course in 1940 or 1941 was told by the instructor: "The first thing you do in a ambush is shoot your pack mule. Otherwise it will bolt with your spare ammo."

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                      Interesting...
                      Horses would be an ideal form of transportation of Guerrillas, even today.
                      I wonder if the Special Forces ever talk about that?
                      horses are good transportation in open terrain in the short term
                      but much energy and effort is expended in their care..
                      that is their shortcoming..

Helicopter is better... LOL
                      Human beings are the only creatures who are able to behave irrationally in the name of reason.

Comment

You also have to feed the critters and they require at least one day of rest per week, or they sicken and die. Most European Army's used large horses that required grain to go with forage. I remember pictures of French Cavalry with large empty nets behind their saddles. That is where they put hay when they found it.

There are places Helicopters are scarce and horses are plentiful.

Pruitt

Comment

After the war the Rhodesians used horses, and so too did the South Africans (much less certain about them). Then again the Rhodesians had no money and about one helicopter. The US has many helicopters. When these forces did use horses they were mounted infantry, not cavalry.

I'm surprised the US wouldn't have a ceremonial cavalry group, it was a country forged from the saddle.
                          ------
                          'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

The US does have a ceremonial troop at Fort Hood with the 1st Cavalry Division.

Pruitt

Comment

That's good to know, do they do events and things similar to the Horse Guards here? (obviously..they wouldn't be doing any trooping of the colour but..)
                              ------
                              'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Berlin.1945
                                by casanova
                                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                Yesterday, 23:41
                              • casanova
                                AW 169M
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                Yesterday, 23:26
                              • JBark
                                What changed?
                                by JBark
                                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                Yesterday, 18:54
                              Working...
                              X