Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was the Bismarck Sunk or Scuttled

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Was the Bismarck Sunk or Scuttled

    In June 2001, Deep Ocean Expeditions, conducted an investigation of the Bismarck wreck. The expedition found no penetrations in the main armoured belt, above or below the waterline. The examiners concluded Bismarck was therefore scuttled by her crew.

    In August 2001 a British funded expedition found significant penetration points found in the hull were caused by torpedoe strikes, concluding that the Bismarck sank due to combat damage.

    Any member thoughtís, Iíll go with she was scuttled by the crew.

    Death bed last words. Always pay the army - Septimius Severus

    http://www.greatmilitarybattles.com/..._bismarck.html

  • #2
    Originally posted by ITALICA ONE View Post
    In June 2001, Deep Ocean Expeditions, conducted an investigation of the Bismarck wreck. The expedition found no penetrations in the main armoured belt, above or below the waterline. The examiners concluded Bismarck was therefore scuttled by her crew.

    In August 2001 a British funded expedition found significant penetration points found in the hull were caused by torpedoe strikes, concluding that the Bismarck sank due to combat damage.

    Any member thoughtís, Iíll go with she was scuttled by the crew.

    Death bed last words. Always pay the army - Septimius Severus

    http://www.greatmilitarybattles.com/..._bismarck.html
    Why does it matter?

    Regards
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

    "I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

    Comment


    • #3
      If you commit suicide two seconds before the firing squad shoots, you may have a moral victory, but you won't enjoy it.
      Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
      Hyperwar, Whats New
      World War II Resources
      The best place in the world to "work".

      Comment


      • #4
        To quote one wag, "She did a brief stint as a surface threat, and an even briefer stint as a U-boot. "
        Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
        Hyperwar, Whats New
        World War II Resources
        The best place in the world to "work".

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Andy H View Post
          Why does it matter?

          Regards
          It matters from an Historical view, History books written up until these underwater expeditions - (60) years, had always said sank by the Royal Navy. Only since the early 2000's because of underwater RV'S can history be rediscovered and explained. I just want to know if anyone has heard of any other definetive explorations to back either case.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ITALICA ONE View Post
            It matters from an Historical view, History books written up until these underwater expeditions - (60) years, had always said sank by the Royal Navy. Only since the early 2000's because of underwater RV'S can history be rediscovered and explained. I just want to know if anyone has heard of any other definetive explorations to back either case.
            It would be a minor footnote to history. The issue is rather a bizarre one of national pride, but not one of any particular note.
            Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
            Hyperwar, Whats New
            World War II Resources
            The best place in the world to "work".

            Comment


            • #7
              The problem might well be the underwater vehicles may have missed some damage. The hull would have to be sitting upright and not covered by mud. I would go with the original verdict until proven without a doubt.

              Pruitt
              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

              Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

              by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

              Comment


              • #8
                Her steering was wrecked by torpedoes before the Home Fleet pounded her with everything but the kitchen sink - scuttling charges would merely have hastened the inevitable.
                Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by the ace View Post
                  Her steering was wrecked by torpedoes before the Home Fleet pounded her with everything but the kitchen sink - scuttling charges would merely have hastened the inevitable.
                  "She may have been rubble, but the English didn't sink her!" Yawn.
                  Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
                  Hyperwar, Whats New
                  World War II Resources
                  The best place in the world to "work".

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I believe she sunk.

                    this is proven by the fact that she is on the bottom of the ocean..
                    ďHuman beings are the only creatures who are able to behave irrationally in the name of reason.Ē

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It was the water entering the hull that did in Bismarck
                      hmmm . . . I wonder what THIS button does . . . uh oh

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Did any of the surviving crew admit to scuttling her?

                        Pruitt
                        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

                        Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

                        by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I was told by my grandfather that it sunk.
                          This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                            Did any of the surviving crew admit to scuttling her?

                            Pruitt

                            I have seen a few history channel docs' were the surviving German sailors admit to scuttling to prevent her capture.

                            Death bed last words. Always pay the Legions - Septimius Severus



                            http://www.greatmilitarybattles.com/..._bismarck.html

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Bismarck--Mobility killed by the a bi-plane

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X