Great Kit From the Non Big 4.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichardS View Post

Actually some are water cans. You notice that some are marked differently?
    Yep, if memory serves from my tank modelling days, water filled jerrycans had a white cross painted on 'em?

The long toll of the brave
    Is not lost in darkness
    Over the fruitful earth
    And athwart the seas
    Hath passed the light of noble deeds
    Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Japanese grenade discharger, also known incorrectly as the knee mortar. Small and light added a lot of fire power to the Japanese Army Infantry Squads.

Italian Beretta handguns were well regarded even if they fired a weak cartridge.

If you like the 9mm cartridge the Browning Hipower was probably the best pistol of World War II. 1st produced in Belgium. After the Germans captured the plant that made this gun they continued production for their own use. A plant was opened in Canada to continue production. So this pistol fought on both sides of the war.
      "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
      Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Canadian Sexton self propelled artillery. Placed the excellent British 25 pounder gun on a tank chasis.
        "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
        Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Japanese Torpedoes, especially their "Long Lance" torpedoes used by their surface ships.

Comment

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post
            If you like the 9mm cartridge the Browning Hipower was probably the best pistol of World War II. 1st produced in Belgium. After the Germans captured the plant that made this gun they continued production for their own use.
            Some years ago a batch of mint nine milli Hipowers turned up in the UK made during the nazi occupation. They were much sought after by both collectors and civvy shooters, them being all stamped up with eagles, crooked crosses and wotnot... till a couple blew up on the range and everyone stopped shooting 'em, quicksharp!
            Turns out, back in the day, the slaves under the jackboot hadn't made 'em as dilligently as they should have.

The long toll of the brave
            Is not lost in darkness
            Over the fruitful earth
            And athwart the seas
            Hath passed the light of noble deeds
            Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
              THe Dewoitine had some issues with stability and was by even 1940 standards about average as a fighter plane. The tour-de-force in French fighters was the Bloch MB 157. This was essetially a French P-47 Thunderbolt without the turbo-supercharger. The one prototype that flew made 441 mph and like the rest of the Bloch MB 150 series had good handling characteristics.
              It even looks like the jug.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post

Actually some are water cans. You notice that some are marked differently?
                No I didn't notice Ritchie, logical I suppose for desert warfare, I would prefer not to be sitting on ANY petrol cans though. lcm1 P.S. Your sight must be better than mine,still cannot make out any particular markings and I can vouch for the fact that they could be quite careless at times regarding what went into where. lcm1
                'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
                  No I didn't notice Ritchie, logical I suppose for desert warfare, I would prefer not to be sitting on ANY petrol cans though. lcm1 P.S. Your sight must be better than mine,still cannot make out any particular markings and I can vouch for the fact that they could be quite careless at times regarding what went into where. lcm1
                  The water cans are the ones with the imbossings painted white and are the ones on the front fenders.

As the Von said, Jerry painted white crosses on there cans that contained water.

Paul
                  Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 02 Dec 12, 22:52.
                  ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                  All human ills he can subdue,
                  Or with a bauble or medal
                  Can win mans heart for you;
                  And many a blessing know to stew
                  To make a megloamaniac bright;
                  Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                  The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

I think you all know what excellent piece of kit this is. Well two pieces of kit actually, one being the Gurkha.

"As i write these words my thoughts return to you who were my comrades, the stubborn and indomitable peasants of Nepal. Once more I hear the laughter with which you greeted every hardship. Once more I see you in your bivouacs or about your camp fires, on forced march or in the trenches, now shivering with wet and cold, now scorched by a pitiless and burning sun. Uncomplaining and endure hunger and thirst and wounds, and at the last your unwavering lines dissappear into smoke and wrath of battle. Bravest of the brave, most generous of generous, never had a country more faithful friends than you".
                    - Sir Ralph Turner
                    The nicest of blokes you can ever wish to meet.

http://www.khukuriblades.com/kukri_history/

Paul
                    Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 02 Dec 12, 23:12.
                    ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                    All human ills he can subdue,
                    Or with a bauble or medal
                    Can win mans heart for you;
                    And many a blessing know to stew
                    To make a megloamaniac bright;
                    Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                    The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
                      The water cans are the ones with the imbossings painted white and are the ones on the front fenders.

As the Von said, Jerry painted white crosses on there cans that contained water.

Paul
                      Well Dib,if the white ones on the fenders are water,this brings me back to what the Hell are the ones under their bums?? lcm1
                      'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                        What? You expect them to just run out of gas when they flee into the desert...?
                        Right. Just like the defenders of Singapore needed those nice, impressive 15-inch guns when they surrendered en masse. Likewise, I'm under the impression that the 3rd Armoured brigade also had some nice equipment when they made their... fast retrograde strategic redeployment... that ended with their surrender at Mechili. AFAIR, General Gambier-Parry, commander of the British 2nd Armoured Division, surrendered to the Italian Pavia division.
                        Michele

Comment

Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
                          Well Dib,if the white ones on the fenders are water,this brings me back to what the Hell are the ones under their bums?? lcm1
                          Fuel.

So what would the alternative be for these vehicles, intended for long-range patrols in the desert? Reduce the patrolling range to what fuel they could carry in their internal tanks? Wait for logistical vehicles carrying fuel to link up with them?

And one more thing:
                          Attached Files
                          Michele

Comment

Viva Italia!

Originally posted by Michele View Post
                            Right. Just like the defenders of Singapore needed those nice, impressive 15-inch guns when they surrendered en masse. Likewise, I'm under the impression that the 3rd Armoured brigade also had some nice equipment when they made their... fast retrograde strategic redeployment... that ended with their surrender at Mechili. AFAIR, General Gambier-Parry, commander of the British 2nd Armoured Division, surrendered to the Italian Pavia division.
                            Well said!
                            Good to see an Italian poster countering some of the ridiculous sterotypical tripe about how supposedly bad the Italians were (even if I had realtives fighting them in the Alps in '40 and a distant relative fighting alongside them in mid-late '18!).

I'm working on a piece about why it took the western superpowers so bloody long to defeat a supposedly 'pathetic' Italy, especially when they were doing so little to actually tackle the German juggernaut (ie the German army proper) head on.

Three years to clear up North Africa against Italy and Rommel's pepercorn force for pete's sake!

I covered some aspects of this issue in my post 'Did the Western Allies pursue an essentially ‘Italy & Vichy France First’ policy from mid 1940-43?'

Check it out (That's an order by the way. Far too many of you are talking off the top of your heads and posting on topics before consulting lodestar eddicts. I will not be tolerating this in the new year!)

As I've said before:

“I’m the biggest, loud-mouth, blow-hard, know-it-all in my (former) workplace and local community and I love it!
                            Summing me up as a self-proclaimed big shot, smart-ass would not be too harsh a judgement.”

Regards lodestar

Comment

Originally posted by lodestar View Post
                              Well said!
                              Good to see an Italian poster countering some of the ridiculous sterotypical tripe about how supposedly bad the Italians were (even if I had realtives fighting them in the Alps in '40 and a distant relative fighting alongside them in mid-late '18!).

I'm working on a piece about why it took the western superpowers so bloody long to defeat a supposedly 'pathetic' Italy, especially when they were doing so little to actually tackle the German juggernaut (ie the German army proper) head on.

Three years to clear up North Africa against Italy and Rommel's pepercorn force for pete's sake!

I covered some aspects of this issue in my post 'Did the Western Allies pursue an essentially ‘Italy & Vichy France First’ policy from mid 1940-43?'

Check it out (That's an order by the way. Far too many of you are talking off the top of your heads and posting on topics before consulting lodestar eddicts. I will not be tolerating this in the new year!)

As I've said before:

“I’m the biggest, loud-mouth, blow-hard, know-it-all in my (former) workplace and local community and I love it!
                              Summing me up as a self-proclaimed big shot, smart-ass would not be too harsh a judgement.”

Regards lodestar
                              Well spoken big shot, smart-ass............ lcm1
                              'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Fiat G55

Macchi 205

Reggiane 2005

Savoia Marchetti SM79

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X