Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsung Heroes - Part 2

Oscarsborg Fortress Defenders

When Germany invaded Norway on 9th April 1940, this fortress managed to sink the heavy cruiser Blucher and give time for their Royal Family and Government to escape to exile. As a result, Norwegian resistance fighters had a focus, and with help from the W Allies, were able to help delay the Nazi nuclear program.

http://www.admiral-hipper-class.dk/bluecher/miscellaneous/oscarsborg_bluecher_wreck_site_today/oscarsborg_bluecher_wreck_site_today.html

There is a Hollywood film staring Kirk Doudlas concerning Norwegian resistance halting the Nazi bomb technology. The Heroes of Telemark may not be accurate, but it is fun .

A TV documentary on the real heroes is on youtube. As usual take into consideration it is a TV doc.

However, the defenders of Oscarsborg remain Unsung.
    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

John Rabe-

Even the movie was over-looked, but you can bet the Chinese haven't forgotten him.

Comment

Olga Lisikova

The only Li-2 / C-47 pilot in WW2

I will tell you about another unique flight. If you told this to any other pilot, he would not believe it. This flight was at the end of 1943. Fourteen aircraft took off at night. Each had its own mission. Three aircraft were going to my target, including mine. A partisan detachment had fallen into a very bad situation there. We had delivered all their provisions and, in the meantime, while they were holding the Germans in check, they had run out of armaments. Now they needed an immediate shipment of ammunition. The weather was “zero, zero.” I did not know at that time that all the other aircraft had turned back because of the weather. But my position in the division was special, both because I was a woman and because there was a poster that said, “Fly like aircraft commander Lisikova!” This poster was hung in the airports of many cities. One time in Sverdlovsk, a pilot saw this poster and said, “Well, what happened? Have men deteriorated to the point that women are teaching us how to fly?”

So my position was special. Therefore all 280 of my sorties, all of them, were executed. Not one time did I turn back; not once did I fail in my duty. Now I had to save this partisan detachment. I had about three tons of cargo on board. Several times I almost touched the ground, but everything was covered in overcast. I thought, “I need to come out at a large lake.” There not far away, five minutes, was this partisan detachment. The work of my navigator and radio operator was magnificent. The radio operator gave me a bearing literally every minute. It was also a good thing that there was no wind, and therefore no drift. The moment was very intense. It would not be possible to make a second pass. When I came out, I saw an opening, to the left a forest, and to the right the outline of the lake. I dove toward the surface of the lake and passed over it. There I made a turn and began to climb slightly. We climbed to the level necessary for me to see what the distance was from the treetops to the overcast. If there was an opening of 50–70 meters, we could continue the mission. If not, we had to return. Well, I determined that the required opening existed. Then the navigator gave us a course to the partisan detachment. We flew onward for five minutes and we spotted a fire.

So many times I executed these flights and as a rule, the fires were laid out in a “T” or an “P.” Here, there was only a single fire, but we could see where the others had been until they went out. I had earlier given the command and the co-pilot and gunner had secured themselves to the pedestal where the UBT machine gun stood.

It was entirely possible for them to fly out of the open hatch. When we passed over the fire, they managed to throw out two or three containers. The difficulty lay in the fact that we still had to make a pass over this same fire again. I turned and again managed to come out at this spot. They the navigator also joined in the cargo delivery. Three of them could push out more cargo. In spite of their best efforts, we had to go around a third time. We dropped the main cargo that was intended for the partisan detachment.

When we arrived back at Vnukovo, the commander, Major General Kazmin, said: “We received confirmation from the partisan detachment. They received all the supplies. They cut off the enemy’s attack, and already are moving toward their transport. For this flight I should recommend you for Hero of the Soviet Union. However, you did not have a female crew.”
      To me it had become ridiculous, because not only a female, but also a male crew would hardly have been able to accomplish such a flight. Later I learned that the first department [representative of the NKVD] had prevented such a recommendation from being accepted because at that time it was possible that my husband was a prisoner of war.
      Read the full interview here: http://lend-lease.airforce.ru/englis...kova/index.htm
      www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X