• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsung heroes

Respect.

http://pavel-kosenko.livejournal.com...hread=22669914

Regards
    Scott Fraser
    Ignorance is not the lack of knowledge. It is the refusal to learn.

A contentedly cantankerous old fart

great photo's I got them in an email awhile back thanks for bringing em back!!!

Comment

Here's my modest contribution:

Arseny Korshunov, a welder from the Leningrad Metalworks Plant. On a few days he overproduced the daily quota by up to 3000%

Sasha Romanov, who overproduced the daily quota by up to 300% on several days and became a skilled metalworker, filer and milling machine operator at the age of 14 at one of the Leningrad factories.

www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

Even more incredible given the physical conditions most people in Leningrad lived under. I presume they may have had the right to bigger rations but still starvation by normal standards. I recall reading the memoirs of a fighter pilot in Leningrad (darn I can't find the link) who recalled his mechanic fainting due to lack of food-fighter pilots were entitled to full rations of course because of the physical demands of combat flying. He actually said he shared some of his bread ration with the guy who took and gave it to his mother IIRC. Those mechanics are also unsung heroes.

Comment

Originally posted by ShAA View Post
          Here's my modest contribution:

Arseny Korshunov, a welder from the Leningrad Metalworks Plant. On a few days he overproduced the daily quota by up to 3000%

Sasha Romanov, who overproduced the daily quota by up to 300% on several days and became a skilled metalworker, filer and milling machine operator at the age of 14 at one of the Leningrad factories.

I have no wish to downplay Sasha and his 300% but there were boys of 14 doing the same type of work in British factories and doing it in shift work throughout the 24 hours six days a week. lcm1
          'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
          " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
            I have no wish to downplay Sasha and his 300% but there were boys of 14 doing the same type of work in British factories and doing it in shift work throughout the 24 hours six days a week. lcm1
            The difference is that they had to work in cold and badly lit factories, and lived in flats without heating, running water, electricity and sewage. On top of all they often had to walk to their factories under regular shellings and bombings in -20C frost as the public transport didn't work during the first winter. And they had to survive on half-pound bad quality bread a day and whatever they could find in their apartment.

I don't have any details when exactly he overprocuced the quota, as in the second winter the situation with food improved a lot.
            www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

Originally posted by ShAA View Post
              The difference is that they had to work in cold and badly lit factories, and lived in flats without heating, running water, electricity and sewage. On top of all they often had to walk to their factories under regular shellings and bombings in -20C frost as the public transport didn't work during the first winter. And they had to survive on half-pound bad quality bread a day and whatever they could find in their apartment.

I don't have any details when exactly he overprocuced the quota, as in the second winter the situation with food improved a lot.
              I salute those facts, but knowing personally how exhausting it was in the British factories as a boy at that time only makes me even more amazed at the stamina they must have somehow found!! lcm1
              'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
                I salute those facts, but knowing personally how exhausting it was in the British factories as a boy at that time only makes me even more amazed at the stamina they must have somehow found!! lcm1
                Indeed. All the stories are true, about factories erected in the dead of winter and making tanks in the open air. It was a desperate time for everyone on the Home Front. While working conditions in Soviet factories were abysmal in that first year, which no doubt puts a sharper edge on their sacrifice, the whole point of the thread was to salute the effort made by all the women and children who took the places of all the Allied men who went to war. Without them, the ultimate victory would have been much more difficult to attain.

Regards
                Scott Fraser
                Ignorance is not the lack of knowledge. It is the refusal to learn.

A contentedly cantankerous old fart

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Fraser View Post
                  Indeed. All the stories are true, about factories erected in the dead of winter and making tanks in the open air. It was a desperate time for everyone on the Home Front. While working conditions in Soviet factories were abysmal in that first year, which no doubt puts a sharper edge on their sacrifice, the whole point of the thread was to salute the effort made by all the women and children who took the places of all the Allied men who went to war. Without them, the ultimate victory would have been much more difficult to attain.

Regards
                  Scott Fraser
                  And to you Scott!
                  'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X