Rick Atkinson and Sir Max Hastings Discuss Embedded Journalists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rick Atkinson and Sir Max Hastings Discuss Embedded Journalists

New podcast up at the Pritzker Military Library Website featuring Rick Atkinson and Sir Max Hastings. Here is the description:

Atkinson and Hastings will share personal experiences from their time embedded in various parts of the world, from the Falkland Islands to Iraq. They will also examine the history of embedded journalists and the role they play in popular military history.
    Click this link and you can either watch the video or listen to the audio.
    http://www.pritzkermilitarylibrary.o.../Attached.aspx

The subject matter ranges far beyond WWII, but since both of these authors are best known for their work on WWII, I figured I'd post it here.

In addition, there is an interesting discussion on the difference between popular history and academic history which is very worthwhile.
    Last edited by The Ibis; 15 Nov 12, 19:42.

Originally posted by The Ibis View Post
    New podcast up at the Pritzker Military Library Website featuring Rick Atkinson and Sir Max Hastings. Here is the description:

Click this link and you can either watch the video or listen to the audio.
    http://www.pritzkermilitarylibrary.o.../Attached.aspx

The subject matter ranges far beyond WWII, but since both of these authors are best known for their work on WWII, I figured I'd post it here.

In addition, there is an interesting discussion on the difference between popular history and academic history which is very worthwhile.
    This is quite interesting. Among the comments: the US Army archives for the Second World War weigh 17,000 tons. That's a lot of paper.

Regards
    Scott Fraser
    Ignorance is not the lack of knowledge. It is the refusal to learn.

A contentedly cantankerous old fart

Comment

It is interesting the quality of work capable by journos. The Australian Napoleonic expert Phillip Dwyer didn't know of worthwhile serious works in his field by anyone other than academics, putting it down to the relatively generous amount of time a university faculty made available to someone like himself to really do first hand research and publish when ready. He thought ex-journos can be disadvantaged by a need to crank out books on a regular basis and on popular topics to pay the bills.

Rick Atkinson, take all the time you need to finish off your trilogy of the US Army in Europe. The first two were rippers!

Comment

Great find! My favorite quote: Sir Max Hastings "There is always a certain amount of tension between us and academic historians. We want some of their standing and they want some of our money."
        Will no one tell me what she sings?--
        Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
        For old, unhappy, far-off things,
        And battles long ago:
        -William Wordsworth, "The Solitary Reaper"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X