82 Airborne jumps into Normandy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 82 Airborne jumps into Normandy

Chatting with a customer this Sunday past (of course) and noticed his hat read "82nd Airborne." I asked him if he'd made a combat jump and he said "Just one, June 7...and I woke up four months later in a hospital in Ireland. He said his unit was jumping on Montpelier (spelling?) the day after the invasion. Is this correct? I didn't know any units jumped after the initial invasion day.
    John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

He definitely didn't jump as a part of Op Overlord. Montpelier is in the south of France west of Marseilles.

There is the possibility he had been seconded to SOE or possibly as part of a Jedhburg team.

Another possibility is that he jumped as part of the 1st ABTF which jumped around Draguignan as a part of Op Anvil and just screwed up on dates. (Anvil took place Aug 14-15 1944). 1st ABTF was composed of various Abn units collected together to make a div strong Abn force.

http://www.517prct.org/documents/air...asion_text.htm

My guess is that he's bullsh*tting.
    Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

The 325th Glider Infantry Regiment landed on June 7 by glider near St. Mere-Eglise to sieze bridges on the Merderet River. I'm not aware of anything else on D+1.
      "Shoot for the epaulets, boys! Shoot for the epaulets!" - Daniel Morgan

Comment

Look over the detailed maps of Normandy. You may find a village with its name spelled similar to Montpelier. Of course if he he spent weeks in the hospital unconcious his memory may be as bad as mine.

Comment

Originally posted by tigersqn View Post

My guess is that he's bullsh*tting.
          Not nice to say. I would not think this.
          John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Comment

Wasn't that in the area of the Champagne Campaign in Southern France?
            "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Montpelier is west of Marseilles.
              Dragoon and it's associated Abn ops took place just south of Draguignan, which is east of Marseilles.

As I said, it's possible the individual was seconded to OSS or SOE for a mission in the south of France.
              So far as I know, there is no "montpelier" in northern France.
              Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X