Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best flamethrover of WW2?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Best flamethrover of WW2?

    Well we are all talking about tanks, planes, ships, radars, guns etc.

    Why not about BEST ww2 flamethrover.

    US had M1 and M2. M2 had great success in Pacific.

    SU had ROKS flamethrovers.

    Germans had their Model 41 and Model 42.

    I heard about Japan flamethrover too. While nothing on UK and other.

    Which country produced the best?
    You can count tactic as well.

    Stats for flamethrover:

    Maximum range
    Total weight, charged
    Total weight, empty
    Fuel capacity
    Fuel pressure
    Nitrogen capacity
    Hydrogen capacity
    "Give me 100 000 croatian soldiers and I will conqure all world" - Napoleon Bonaparte

    Soldiers are coming and leaving while war will never end.

  • #2
    Churchill Crocodile followed closely by the M4 Sherman Flamethrower and T-34 flame thrower tanks. Everything else was just a toy.



    M4 with separate flame thrower barrel.


    OT-34/76


    OT-34/85


    P.S. You do see something 'special' about each of these don't you?

    (Images used without permission for educational purposes only. No claims made on the images.)
    Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

    "I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

    What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

    Comment


    • #3
      For the record, the POA-CWS-H5 Sherman flamethrower variant that mounted the flame gun coaxially with the main armament did not see action in WW2. Seventy were converted, but the war ended before their debut in the invasion of Japan. The Marines did use a platoon in Korea, however, armed with the 105 mm howitzer coaxially with the flame gun. There were Sherman flamethrowers that replaced the bow machine gun with a flame gun, but these were not as powerful.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by DogDodger View Post
        For the record, the POA-CWS-H5 Sherman flamethrower variant that mounted the flame gun coaxially with the main armament did not see action in WW2. Seventy were converted, but the war ended before their debut in the invasion of Japan. The Marines did use a platoon in Korea, however, armed with the 105 mm howitzer coaxially with the flame gun. There were Sherman flamethrowers that replaced the bow machine gun with a flame gun, but these were not as powerful.
        I could have sworn I saw film of that version of the Flame Sherman on Iwo Jima.
        Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

        "I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

        What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Hansika View Post
          Well we are all talking about tanks, planes, ships, radars, guns etc.

          Why not about BEST ww2 flamethrover.

          US had M1 and M2. M2 had great success in Pacific.

          SU had ROKS flamethrovers.

          Germans had their Model 41 and Model 42.

          I heard about Japan flamethrover too. While nothing on UK and other.

          Which country produced the best?
          You can count tactic as well.

          Stats for flamethrover:

          Maximum range
          Total weight, charged
          Total weight, empty
          Fuel capacity
          Fuel pressure
          Nitrogen capacity
          Hydrogen capacity
          Well I am finding it difficult to describe any flame thrower as 'Best'. lcm1
          'By Horse by Tram'.


          I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
          " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by RichardS View Post
            I could have sworn I saw film of that version of the Flame Sherman on Iwo Jima.
            The Marines fielded eight M4A3 POA-CWS-H1 flamethrower Shermans on Iwo Jima, which had a flame gun that replaced the main armament. A dummy 75 mm gun barrel surrounded the flame gun. This was more powerful, and more popular, than the bow MG flame gun.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DogDodger View Post
              The Marines fielded eight M4A3 POA-CWS-H1 flamethrower Shermans on Iwo Jima, which had a flame gun that replaced the main armament. A dummy 75 mm gun barrel surrounded the flame gun. This was more powerful, and more popular, than the bow MG flame gun.
              Okay thanks. I guess when I win the lottery I'll get Hunnicutt's Sherman book.
              Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

              "I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

              What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

              Comment


              • #8
                The US M2 has several advantages over competing designs during the war.

                1. It has a seperate fuel and ignition system. This means you can spray the target with fuel and then ignite it once you have thoroughly douched it down. This increases effectiveness and decreases the time you have to have the stream ignited.

                2. The fuel is seperately pressurized rather than the tank the fuel is in being pressurized all the time.

                3. The ignition system is magneto / spark meaning you have a reliable ignition system. Competing designs often used things like a cartridge ignition having to change the cartridge with each firing or such.

                4. The fuel tanks are large enough to carry fuel for numerous shots.

                The Crocodile was probably the best tank mounted design. The trailer allowed for a massive quantity of fuel to be carried compared to the internal systems mounted on some other tanks. This also put the fuel in a less vulnerable position vis a vie the crew. The system also used very high pressure and had a good flame gun.
                The Soviet OT systems on like the T-34 were probably the worst. Limited fuel and range, no useful, and aiming system made it of limited value at best.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The Croc for me .

                  Toting around fuel seems like a scary job for me... regardless of the make or model. Heck, somebody lighting a smoke could cause problems for you .
                  SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'll second the Croc for the following reasons:
                    1. You can dump the fuel trailer and not have all the boomie stuff hanging around inside your tank.
                    2. The Churchill has the best (probably) tactical mobility of all those listed with the exception of a man packed unit. Since the things you might want to set on fire are often in hard to reach areas, this could be pretty important.
                    3. The Churchill is heavily armored, and by the nature of a flame projector you will have to be pretty close to the target. The extra armor will probably bee needed.
                    4. It could throw about 75-80 one second bursts about 125 yards. That's a useful amount and distance.

                    At times like these, I also think it's important to remember what George Carlin has to say:
                    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
                    Words to live by indeed.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'm not sure if it was ever actually used in combat, but if you love Jeeps then you got to love Popski's Flame Jeep.

                      Flamejeep.jpg
                      --Tobias Gibson
                      On the web at: Blindkat.hegewisch.net

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                        Churchill Crocodile followed closely by the M4 Sherman Flamethrower and T-34 flame thrower tanks. Everything else was just a toy.
                        I'd rank the OT34-85 as the best on sheer mobility. The crocodile comes in second on firepower and protection. The M4 with the bow mounted flamethrower would be third due to short range of the flamethrower. The OT34-76 would be last as they were often constructed on the 1941 T34 which had transmission issues and often no radio.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Another 'good' thing about the Churchill Crocodile is it could fire 'wet'... douse a position till it was rank with flammable liquid, then let the Jerries have a think about wot was coming if the white flags didn't start popping out.
                          The long toll of the brave
                          Is not lost in darkness
                          Over the fruitful earth
                          And athwart the seas
                          Hath passed the light of noble deeds
                          Unquenchable forever.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I see guys Churchill is mine best too.

                            But what are you thinking about man-portable flamethrovers?

                            Maybe they werent pretty famous but still...
                            "Give me 100 000 croatian soldiers and I will conqure all world" - Napoleon Bonaparte

                            Soldiers are coming and leaving while war will never end.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Man portable... good to have with your side, but not to stand too close to.
                              SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X