Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Have Russia Taken Finland?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Could Have Russia Taken Finland?

    COuld it happen? I highly doubt it, but still what do you think?

  • #2
    Of course. In 1944, Stalin could have taken all of Finland if he'd wanted to.

    Comment


    • #3
      I have no doubt that in 1944, Russia could have overwhelmed Finland. However it would have diverted resources away from overrunning Eastern Europe, so Stalin decided against this. Instead he agreed to a peace deal which allowed Finland to remain outside of the Soviet block. Helsinki was (apart from London and Moscow) one of the few European warring captial to escape being caputed during that war.
      War is less costly than servitude

      Comment


      • #4
        I think they could have, if they had a mind too.

        Comment


        • #5
          On paper, most certainly, but look what happened when the S.U. tried in the Winter of '39/40.

          One of the few good things about Stalin's empire-building in Europe ( and his belated strike at the Japanese) was that he didn't have the resources before WW2 ended, and the Cold War would've heated up far too quickly for his taste if he'd tried afterwards.

          While he could probably have taken Finland in the later '40s, the whole of NATO making common cause with the Finns, together with the US possibly opening other fronts in the Middle and Far East, would've made the venture very problematic.
          Last edited by the ace; 20 Oct 12, 15:23.
          Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

          Comment


          • #6
            They could have but it would have been an extremely costly venture for them. They could also end up with a nasty partisan situation even after they won. Finland is excellent ground for that sort of thing.
            "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

            Comment


            • #7
              Russia is not an interchangeable word for Soviet Union.
              Кто там?
              Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
              Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
                Russia is not an interchangeable word for Soviet Union.
                Sorry, with my homeland being referred to as, 'England,' I know just how you feel.
                Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Soviet Union could take Finland in last years of war.

                  But you are also asking about 1940 right? Well Finns wouldnt be happy in both ways so as Frisco17 said partisan attacks would happen. Maybe it could happened in 1940 but with big casaulties and that wouldnt be a smart idea when you have Wehrmacht close to your border.

                  The ace I always say "Brits" i hope that is not a problem?
                  "Give me 100 000 croatian soldiers and I will conqure all world" - Napoleon Bonaparte

                  Soldiers are coming and leaving while war will never end.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by frisco17 View Post
                    They could have but it would have been an extremely costly venture for them. They could also end up with a nasty partisan situation even after they won. Finland is excellent ground for that sort of thing.
                    Totally agree.

                    Further,had the Finns lost the Battle of Tali-Ihantala, the Soviet 21st.Army could have continued North to take Helsinki and the whole of Finland would have been occupied, but this Finnish victory made Stalin revise his policy and a separate armistice was concluded.
                    "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                    Samuel Johnson.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
                      Totally agree.

                      Further,had the Finns lost the Battle of Tali-Ihantala, the Soviet 21st.Army could have continued North to take Helsinki and the whole of Finland would have been occupied, but this Finnish victory made Stalin revise his policy and a separate armistice was concluded.
                      There was defensife lines between Helsinki and Tali-Ihantala. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salpa_Line
                      "Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery"
                      Robert G. Ingersoll 1833-1899

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by JML View Post
                        There was defensife lines between Helsinki and Tali-Ihantala. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salpa_Line
                        Indeed, when visiting Finland ten years ago- which I hope to repeat next year- I saw the Salpa Line fortifications near Ruokolahti.

                        Fortunately they were never tested.
                        "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                        Samuel Johnson.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
                          Russia is not an interchangeable word for Soviet Union.
                          I've noticed a tendency on the internet on this subject. If the subject is about something good and nice, such as a record breaking aircraft or a scientific invention, then it IS interchangeable, even if the real inventors were (for example) Ukranians. Naturally, if it is something bad, such as mass deportations, gulags etc. then it is not interchangeable.

                          I would like to point out, though, that although it does not apply to this subject, the Russian Federation is considered to be the legal successor of the Soviet Union.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Sure they could have. If it would be worth it is another matter

                            The fins would not have negotiated otherwise
                            You better drop your flag an withdraw.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by String View Post
                              I've noticed a tendency on the internet on this subject. If the subject is about something good and nice, such as a record breaking aircraft or a scientific invention, then it IS interchangeable, even if the real inventors were (for example) Ukranians. Naturally, if it is something bad, such as mass deportations, gulags etc. then it is not interchangeable.

                              I would like to point out, though, that although it does not apply to this subject, the Russian Federation is considered to be the legal successor of the Soviet Union.
                              If you look at my posts I'm very consistent. Good, bad, or ugly I call countries, citizens, and ethnicities by their proper name.
                              Кто там?
                              Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
                              Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X