Deaf Holocaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deaf Holocaust

Everyone knows about the Holocaust, and how it killed millions of Jews and other groups. Of course, the most talked group was Jews, but very few are aware of other groups who suffered greatly at the hands of Nazis. In a certain way, some victims are still paying the price even 60 or 70 years later. One such group was the Deaf community in Germany.

Here is a great video clip (about 40 minutes long) on the documentary of the Deaf Holocaust, and how many were earmarked for sterilization programs and in some cases were put to death. This documentary explores the stories of several Deaf Germans who lived through the war and Holocaust. It is subtitled, so you don't have to worry about learning sign language or trying to understand their signs. This documentary was produced in UK by some Deaf and hearing filmmakers.

Please do take time and watch this video clip!

Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Excellent stuff! I will definitely forward this to the administration of the school at which I taught. Do you know if the blind and visually impaired were in the same boat?

Regards and thanks!
    Dennis
    If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
      Excellent stuff! I will definitely forward this to the administration of the school at which I taught. Do you know if the blind and visually impaired were in the same boat?

Regards and thanks!
      Dennis
      I'm not an expert on this stuff, but I would imagine so, since Nazi Party's philosophy made it abruptly clear that all people with defects of any kind are undesirable and ought to be exterminated like bugs.

It is really heart-breaking at the end of video clip that some victims wanted to have children, but couldn't due to sterilization, and Germany hasn't really compensated them well enough. Their generation is fast fading into obscurity, as their numbers are dwindling, their voice (or hands) is no longer heard or seen. I think Germany is doing a huge disservice to the various victimized groups other than Jews.

What really bothers me the most is that the Deaf community was pushed into compliance with Nazi Party by its own members, including a well-known leader who could speak and sign very well. How could he have continued in his leadership position knowing perfectly well that a lot of Deaf people were going to suffer the consequences at the hands of Nazis?

It's just so incomprehensible.

Dan
      Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

I am not a Jehovah’s Witness but I think it is worth noting that they refused to recognize Hitler’s dominance (only one of two religions (the other being a very, very minor sect) that did not) and were persecuted for it.

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post

Regards and thanks!
          Dennis
          "On July 14, 1933, the German government instituted the “Law for the Prevention of Progeny with Hereditary Diseases.” This law called for the sterilization of all persons who suffered from diseases considered hereditary, including mental illness, learning disabilities, physical deformity, epilepsy, blindness, deafness, and severe alcoholism. With the law’s passage the Third Reich also stepped up its propaganda against the disabled, regularly labeling them “life unworthy of life” or “useless eaters” and highlighting their burden upon society"

http://www.ushmm.org/museum/exhibit/focus/disabilities/

It would seem that being born blind was at the very least being pushed as a reason for sterilisation.
          "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
          G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
          Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

This would seem to be a part of the Nazi 'T4" program where they "euthanized" the disabled.
            Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Originally posted by tigersqn View Post
              This would seem to be a part of the Nazi 'T4" program where they "euthanized" the disabled.
              That would be corredt.

iirc there were about 17000 deaf alone. Some many of them Jews.
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Dan, thank you for posting this. It is a certain sadness when one thinks of & is reminded of the many lives lost from such an insidious moral deficit that certainly existed in the minds of those that perpetrated the so called 'cleansing' that was anything but clean. The minds that could conceive, carry out & then even begin to rationalize that they were anything other than guilty of murder to me is the worst of actual humankind.

To see it told from the same perspective as deaf individuals produced, told & see it I think adds much more to the story than if it were told using sound, my friend.

Again, Thank You , Dan!

Last edited by Admiral; 24 Sep 12, 15:48.
                On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Yup, thanks, we all need these little reminders from time to time.

The one that got me was Esperantists - Esperanto was (according to one-nut) the language of the International Jewish Conspiracy, so, of course, anyone speaking it ended up in the camps.

This wasn't as bad as you may think, because of the nature of Esperanto - victims started to teach it to other inmates, allowing people from all over Europe to communicate with each other. When pressed by the guards, they claimed to be teaching Italian - the language of an ally and therefore acceptable.

It's a fitting comment on the intelligence of concentration camp guards that they swallowed this one whole.
                  Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Sad and appalling at the same time. I can't imagine the horror of the slow death by carbon monoxide poisoning. But the ultimate irony was toward the end of the war the Heer was creating what was known as the 'Eyes, Ears and Stomach' battalions. For example the
                    70. Infanterie-Division
                    was known as 'The White Bread Division'.
                    Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Dan, what you followed up with squares with my understanding. Thank you.

Sergio, thanks to you for posting what passed for a law under one-nut and his gang of criminals.

Regards,
                      Dennis
                      If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

They were told what was going to happen, but did they listen?
                        Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X