WW2 Associations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW2 Associations

A sad yet inevitable fact is that the WW2 Associations all over the world are either closing for good, or meeting on a more localised rather national basis.

I was speaking with a well known published WW2 Historian about this issue only last week. He was telling me about the vast array of artifacts, documents and knowledge that is being lost almost weekly, as various regimental, ship and other such associations muster for the last time.
    On occasion the association will gift its tangeable assets to a museum or other such historical body. However many end up in a loft/attic, and then unless were lucky on to the local dump/tip.
    What he has done and has suggested to me is that if you know of such an association, that you approach them and offer to look after there assets etc or help dispose of them in a manner that will benefit future generations, and not end up in the bin.
    Many of these gents etc are in their 80's and 90's and may have no family or little knowledge about how to safeguard their associations assets etc. His experience is that there not offended by somebody asking, in fact the opposite is true. That somebody is willing to help preserve their memory etc means much more to them, than somebody not asking for the sake of risking offence.

In the US, the US WW2 Subs veterans group has disbanded its national body. Many hope to keep going at a local level, however the sands of time will also catch up with these as well.
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/23...est=latestnews

So get in touch with any local Associations and see if you can help preserve their yesterdays for the future military historians etc

Regards
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Originally posted by Andy H View Post
    A sad yet inevitable fact is that the WW2 Associations all over the world are either closing for good, or meeting on a more localised rather national basis.

I was speaking with a well known published WW2 Historian about this issue only last week. He was telling me about the vast array of artifacts, documents and knowledge that is being lost almost weekly, as various regimental, ship and other such associations muster for the last time.
    On occasion the association will gift its tangeable assets to a museum or other such historical body. However many end up in a loft/attic, and then unless were lucky on to the local dump/tip.
    What he has done and has suggested to me is that if you know of such an association, that you approach them and offer to look after there assets etc or help dispose of them in a manner that will benefit future generations, and not end up in the bin.
    Many of these gents etc are in their 80's and 90's and may have no family or little knowledge about how to safeguard their associations assets etc. His experience is that there not offended by somebody asking, in fact the opposite is true. That somebody is willing to help preserve their memory etc means much more to them, than somebody not asking for the sake of risking offence.

In the US, the US WW2 Subs veterans group has disbanded its national body. Many hope to keep going at a local level, however the sands of time will also catch up with these as well.
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/23...est=latestnews

So get in touch with any local Associations and see if you can help preserve their yesterdays for the future military historians etc

Regards
    Yes, I can come up with a list as long as my arm of associations from WW2 that over the last 4 years or so have 'put up their shutters' my own,the Normandy Veterans amongst them. Due of course to large numbers of us 'falling off the perch' and those that are left not capable for various reasons to carry on. Our standard was placed in the special corner designated for such things to join many others in Perth WA Cathedral and I personally have thankfully a family that will treasure any bits and pieces I may leave. lcm1
    'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
    " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Hi

Sadly many who didn't have loved ones to leave possessions too, often donated them to there Association. Its these artifacts etc that often end up in the bin, in a loft or at a car boot.

Regards
      "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

Every generation goes through this. Just think of the countless artifacts throughout history that were discarded because someone thought that they were just "old junk".
        The lucky pieces find their way into museums, or into the hands of someone who appreciates their true value. The rest disappear, possibly forever.
        I have been fortunate enough to be the recipient of several articles of this "junk". The decor of my business probably encourages people to ask if I might be interested in taking the pieces off their hands.
        If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went when they died-Will Rogers

Comment

We are losing too many of them. I am thankful my granddad is still alive. His favorite line? Open your eyes and ears Junior, you might learn something. I love him. He's a life member of the VFW, American Legion, and 2 other things I do not know.
          This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sherlock View Post
            Every generation goes through this. Just think of the countless artifacts throughout history that were discarded because someone thought that they were just "old junk".
            The lucky pieces find their way into museums, or into the hands of someone who appreciates their true value. The rest disappear, possibly forever.
            I have been fortunate enough to be the recipient of several articles of this "junk". The decor of my business probably encourages people to ask if I might be interested in taking the pieces off their hands.
            I dare say that I have said this before but this topic makes me want to say it again.My old Dad, whenever he was parting from an old WW1 mate would say,"take care of yourself, there's not many of us left now you know". The great pity to me is,that he seldom if ever spoke about his time in the Army and apart from something that I gleaned from my mother at one time, which was that he also served in Ireland in the early bad old days of the 'Troubles' and how he said that there were bad things done on both sides.He was a kind soft hearted man,which probably accounts for the fact that he did not talk much about any of his service life. lcm1
            'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
            " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

I often hear the same thing from my customers. They regret not making more of an effort to draw out stories from their parents, not just of the war, but of their past in general. I made the same mistake with my own Father. Once they're gone, so is a part of our own history.
              If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went when they died-Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by sherlock View Post
                I often hear the same thing from my customers. They regret not making more of an effort to draw out stories from their parents, not just of the war, but of their past in general. I made the same mistake with my own Father. Once they're gone, so is a part of our own history.
                Hi

Indeed, you never miss it until its no longer there.

Time for Mike & the Mechanics me thinks
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGDA0Hecw1k

Regards

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X