Happy birthday Normandie-Niemen !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy birthday Normandie-Niemen !

"Normandie-Niemen": that was 70 years ago.

The unit was the GC3 in the Free French Air Force, first commanded by Jean Tulasne. It fought in three campaigns on behalf of the Soviet Union between 22 March 1943, and 9 May 1945, during which time it destroyed 273 enemy aircraft and received numerous orders, citations and decorations from both France and the Soviet Union, including the French Légion d’Honneur and the Soviet Order of the Red Banner. Joseph Stalin awarded the unit the name Niemen for its participation in the Battle of the Niemen River (1944).
    18-й гвардейский Витебский дважды Краснознаменный ордена Суворова второй степени истребительный полк ВВС России "Нормандия – Неман" – in Russian

The regiment maintains the traditions of French-Soviet/Russian combat friendship:

Yak3:

Rafale:

Rafale and french veteran:

Russian general Viktor Bondarev with french gift:

Russian gift:

Last edited by VieuxChat; 16 Sep 12, 09:13.
    "To hell wars Grudges and parties ! As our fathers Sing in real friends, The clink of glasses Roses and lilies. The clink of glasses Roses and lilies."

www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

"You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

The one I like was when in 1945, returning to France as the heroes they were, they were offered any aircraft they wanted, US, German, British (including Vampires or Meteors) and they asked if they could keep their Yak - 3s.

A band of heroes who contributed in no small measure to the Allied victory.
        Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Comment

There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

Comment

Fine looking bunch of veterans in the second photo.
              Skip

Comment

-Matt
                SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to VieuxChat again."

....Proscribed Words are still Proscribed even if in French-ACG Staff. Milles reps pour toi, quand même!!

BRAVO VieuxChat! Very nice tribute!

Marcel Albert died very recently and it buried in Florida. I believe Roland de la Poype is the last French ace still alive of this squadron.

Last edited by RichardS; 16 Sep 12, 21:20.
                  You'll live, only the best get killed.

-General Charles de Gaulle

Comment

Comment

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Yak-3 is my favourite WW2 Soviet fighter plane. I greatly enjoyed flying it in IL-2 Sturmovik (PC flight sim).
                        "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
                        Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

I've gat the meeting next week end in my city,Rennes, with the "red star rafale" and the "patrouille de France". Hope for good weather.
                          Two years ago i've seen the official solo/demo of the rafale : few minutes but so good. Incredible the sound when the plane is close just above your head and seems to stop.

Comment

Hehe, didn't know Santa Claus flew for NM.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
                            --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X