Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did England Declare War 1939

Why did England Declare War

Did England declare War on Germany (1939) to save Europe from Hitler……. or ……Liberate Poland

England did not generally see Germany’s (rearmament) as a threat. But it’s interest in Europe not being dominated by any signal power….. As per History…..England would have gone to war with any power that might have controlled Europe

“Attack with aggression, but always have a plan of retreat”

Well Chamberlain would have faced a revolt by his Party if he had not declared war.

Comment

England didn't, Britain did.
      Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Originally posted by wellsfargo View Post
        "Why did England Declare War

Did England declare War on Germany (1939) to save Europe from Hitler……. or ……Liberate Poland

England did not generally see Germany’s (rearmament) as a threat. But it’s interest in Europe not being dominated by any signal power….. As per History…..England would have gone to war with any power that might have controlled Europe
        Originally posted by the ace View Post
        Thank you, Andrew.
        "England" didn't 'declare' anything in 1939.
        Last edited by panther3485; 04 Sep 12, 06:41.
        "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
        Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

Originally posted by the ace View Post
          Was wondering how long it would take someone to jump on that.

Perhaps we need the following stickied somewhere :
          Diadochi Rising Wargame:
          King Pairisades I of the Bosporan Kingdom

Comment

“Attack with aggression, but always have a plan of retreat”
            Although it made little differance to the fate of Poland, the UKs declaration of war on Germany was the nearest circumstances would allow to honour the agreement that was originally made. It was not logically possible to do much more, unfortunately many Poles did not see it in that light. lcm1
            'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
            " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

So you have already answered your question.

German rearmament was seen as a threat by Britain, to the point that the British wanted it regulated by the London Naval Agreements, and Germany conceded that.

After that, the British worried less about the Kriegsmarine but they were worried enough by the Luftwaffe. Additionally, the threat was exactly the one you mentioned: one single power aspiring to hegemony over the Continent.

Once it became clear - after Germany turned the rump Czechoslovakia into a satellite and a protectorate, reneging on commitments that were no older than a few months - that it was impossible to rein in Germany by means of negotiations over what could be perceived as Germany's reasonable claims, Poland was chosen as the line in the sand.

The fact that a similar guarantee to the one accepted by Poland was offered simultaneously to Romania tells us that the point was exactly that: stopping Germany, in whichever direction it might seek further aggrandizement.

The British had understood that having war immediately would be less dangerous than having it later, with Germany even more powerful.
              Michele

Comment

Well, that's interesting. Explaining to people the name of 'my country' given the choices has been a real headache over the years.

So, according to that chart:
                • Northern Ireland is in the UK and the British Isles, but not in Great Britain
                • Eire is in the British Isles but not in the UK or Great Britain
                • England, Scotland and Wales are in the British Isles, Great Britain and the UK
                • The UK comprises Northern Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales
                • Great Britain is England, Scotland and Wales, but excludes Northern Ireland
                • The Isle of Man is in the British Isles, but not in the United Kingdom or Great Britain
                • The Channel Isles are not in the British Isles, Great Britain or the UK.

Is that right?

Philip
                "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipLaos View Post
                  • England, Scotland and Wales are in the British Isles, Great Britain and the UK
                  • The Isle of Man is in the British Isles, but not in the United Kingdom or Great Britain
                  That's about the sum of it. Isn't geography fun?
                  Diadochi Rising Wargame:

Comment

Originally posted by Anacreon View Post
                    That's about the sum of it. Isn't geography fun?
                    In the case of England, the British Isles, Great Britain, Britain, and the United Kingdom.....it's terrible. I need to draw that chart every time somebody asks me if I'm from Britain, etc.

So who declared war on Germany?

If it was Great Britain, then the declaration excludes Northern Ireland according to that chart. For Northern Ireland to be included in the declaration, it would have to be the UK declaring war.

My recollection is it was Great Britain, not the UK.

Philip
                    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

In the case of England, the British Isles, Great Britain, Britain, and the United Kingdom.....it's terrible. I need to draw that chart every time somebody asks me if I'm from Britain, etc.

So who declared war on Germany?

If it was Great Britain, then the declaration excludes Northern Ireland according to that chart. For Northern Ireland to be included in the declaration, it would have to be the UK declaring war.

My recollection is it was Great Britain, not the UK.

Philip
                      Well, the problem is that people (me included) use Britain and UK pretty much interchangeably, further muddying the waters. Regarding WWII, Northern Ireland was ruled from London at the time, thus the 'British' declaration of war was actually one by the government of the United Kingdom.
                      Diadochi Rising Wargame:

Comment

I think it is due to English as language.Most Europeans colloquially use terms like England,or Englishmen,because of English language.
                        It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.

Косово је Србија!
                        Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page

Comment

Originally posted by Anacreon View Post
                          Well, the problem is that people (me included) use Britain and UK pretty much interchangeably, further muddying the waters. Regarding WWII, Northern Ireland was ruled from London at the time, thus the 'British' declaration of war was actually one by the government of the United Kingdom.
                          Of course we do, both are abbreviations of (deep breath);

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

That's a bit of a mouthful for anyone. My point was that abbreviating the name isn't a problem - using the wrong name is.

Good point, Nick, but what about Irish, Welsh, Cornish and Scots Gaelic - all of which are also spoken in these islands ?

While someone whose native language isn't English can be forgiven the mistake, it's despicable in a native English-speaker.
                          Last edited by the ace; 04 Sep 12, 13:45.
                          Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Originally posted by nikolas93TS View Post
                            I think it is due to English as language.Most Europeans colloquially use terms like England,or Englishmen,because of English language.
                            So do Americans....

Comment

[IMG]So, according to that chart:

Is that right?

Philip
                              Yes

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X