Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guadalcanal

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Guadalcanal

    One of my favorite campaigns of the Pacific theater is Guadalcanal. I have always been fascinated by the scope of the fighting, on and around the island. The impact of the campaign was instrumental in the overall outcome of the Pacific War. I would like to start a discussion thread on it if people are interested.....

  • #2
    It's a favorite of mine as well. I think that its strategic implications, the length of the campaign and its many facets have to put it near the top of most lists.
    Thought you might enjoy a current picture of Henderson Field.
    Attached Files
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went when they died-Will Rogers

    Comment


    • #3
      I think that the Marines, with good intentions, were totally unprepared to make the initial landings. They didn't have near enough supplies when they left New Zealand and when the navy bugged out, it made the situation even more critical.

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm currently doing "Battle Damage Reports" on the USN combatants in this campaign. They'll be posted at Hyperwar when they're finished.
        Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
        Hyperwar, Whats New
        World War II Resources
        The best place in the world to "work".

        Comment


        • #5
          Admiral King (whom I'm researching for a book) was a big proponent of Guadalcanal. He wanted a push through the Solomons to protect the Aussie supply lines, and he got superheated to get the island when the Japanese began building an airfield. When Ghormley wanted to delay WATCHTOWER a little further, he unknowingly cut his own professional throat.

          King, the Navy's top strategist, admitted that he had no idea the Japanese would react so violently to the invasion (i.e., that they would commit so many land, air and sea resources to the island's defense).

          Jim Hornfischer has a wonderful book about the naval battles (Neptune's Inferno) and there are of course some great books from the Marine and Army points of view.
          "There are only two professions in the world in which the amateur excels the professional. One, military strategy, and, two, prostitution."
          -- Maj. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

          (Avatar: Commodore Edwin Ward Moore, Republic of Texas Navy)

          Comment


          • #6
            I've read the book and listened to it as an audio. Very very good read. I recomended it to a friend of mine and he's currently tackling it

            Comment


            • #7
              During a "good will tour" of the South Pacific we anchored at Guadalcanal in 1980. A number of us took a tour of the area. There was still unexploded ordnance laying about. A couple of pictures (out of 50 or 60) the first is a monument on Bloody Ridge, the second is a Japanese Memorial, and the last is a view from Bloody Ridge looking toward the area the Japanese attacks came from.
              Attached Files
              Too Much To Do Too Little Time

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jon Jordan View Post

                King, the Navy's top strategist, admitted that he had no idea the Japanese would react so violently to the invasion (i.e., that they would commit so many land, air and sea resources to the island's defense).
                .
                It wasn't initially considered all that important by the Japanese either, Jon, but Yamamoto was subject to enough begging after the battle had started that he agreed to commit the Combined Fleet.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by FTCS View Post
                  During a "good will tour" of the South Pacific we anchored at Guadalcanal in 1980. A number of us took a tour of the area. There was still unexploded ordnance laying about. A couple of pictures (out of 50 or 60) the first is a monument on Bloody Ridge, the second is a Japanese Memorial, and the last is a view from Bloody Ridge looking toward the area the Japanese attacks came from.
                  Is that Savo Island off on right in your middle photo of the Japanese memorial?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Canuckster View Post
                    Is that Savo Island off on right in your middle photo of the Japanese memorial?
                    Well it has been 32 years since I took those pictures and my memory is not what it once was. We anchored off Honiara and I went east from Honiara. So I am fairly certain that the island closet is Savo, which would make the island off in the distance Nggela Sule (Florida island)
                    Too Much To Do Too Little Time

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      A friend of mine on another forum sent me a huge batch of pics from Guadalcanal a couple years back...I know I still have them; if I ever find them I'll scan and post them.

                      -Matt
                      SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

                      Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thought I might post a couple of other pictures.
                        Anchored off Honiara
                        Naval Projectile imbedded in corral (fairly certain it is a 5"/38)
                        There was a contractor on the island that was in the process of clearing unexpended ordnance . We had a long talk with him over drinks, he had some close calls (he needed a drink and we were all happy to assist him).
                        What sailors drink,no way
                        Attached Files
                        Too Much To Do Too Little Time

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I've heard from a few pacific war vets that have claimed that one of the driving forces to invade Guadalcanal rather then bypass it was a product of the island. Apparently, Procter & Gamble had a factory their or bought raw material from the island for their products which were important to the war effort. When I heard this I kind of blew it off... but maybe it is true. Anyone ever hear this before?
                          My worst jump story:
                          My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                          As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                          No lie.

                          ~
                          "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                          -2 Commando Jumpmaster

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            From my studies and research, the Japanese were moving south toward Australia. If they managed to secure an airfield there they could basically cut-off the lifeline from the US to Australia. They, the Japanese, were in the process of attempting to capture New Guinea. If they managed to take New Guinea they had a base to invade Northern Australia and the rest of the country. We needed the South Pacific to base from to push the Japanese back. If Australia was gone where could we base from to continue the war in the Pacific. There wasn't any industry, agricultural or manufacturing, on the island that was needed for the war effort. It was just in a strategic location.
                            Too Much To Do Too Little Time

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by FTCS View Post
                              From my studies and research, the Japanese were moving south toward Australia. If they managed to secure an airfield there they could basically cut-off the lifeline from the US to Australia. They, the Japanese, were in the process of attempting to capture New Guinea. If they managed to take New Guinea they had a base to invade Northern Australia and the rest of the country. We needed the South Pacific to base from to push the Japanese back. If Australia was gone where could we base from to continue the war in the Pacific. There wasn't any industry, agricultural or manufacturing, on the island that was needed for the war effort. It was just in a strategic location.
                              To my understanding, that is absolutely correct.
                              Skip

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X